Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Apologies to DaveN!

devon deer

Sorry Dave, i was out of venison, i promise this is the first and last one of the season until you visit in 2 weeks time.

The crops were very high so i went into the woodland to find one, but it was so noisy with the dried leaves and snapping twigs i 'bumped' a buck which i never saw, but boy he made me pay for my mistake, barking an alarm to everything in the valley, making everything now alert to 'something' approaching through the woods.
I gave it 10 mins and started again, this time i made it to a lovely grass field with wild flowers growing, perfect habitat for a roe, but there wasn't one at home, i couldn't believe it, so i carried on, glassing all the time, and looked back to the grass field, i was amazed, the buck must have been lying down in the long grass, but he was sky lined, and i was stuck as any movement and he would see me, all i could do was wait, and luckily he came in my direction, got the rifle on the sticks, ranged at 120 yards, and the .243 did the business, took out the top of it's heart, it ran 50 yards and fell down dead.

At least i know the rifle is ready for rednecks visit!

Cheers

Richard

Well done! No need to apologize, there is always more where that one came from. Have a nice dinner!

Nice deer. How much venison do you get off a Roe deer? I think Dave might be out of luck in my family. Those steaks would be gone!

Nice looking little buck. I was just wondering how hunting works in your country. Is there any public land to hunt or do you pay to hunt on someone's property? Is there a limit on how many deer you can take or do you pay by the deer? Lastly how is the meat from those deer? Muledeer, antelope and elk each have their own flavor and I find antelope to be the best eating.

Thanks chaps, it is such a challenging deer to hunt, they are very beautiful creatures, but taste great!

Nice deer. How much venison do you get off a Roe deer? I think Dave might be out of luck in my family. Those steaks would be gone!
I have never weighed it after i joint it, but that deer with guts out, lower legs and head off weighs about 40lb.

Nice looking little buck. I was just wondering how hunting works in your country. Is there any public land to hunt or do you pay to hunt on someone's property? Is there a limit on how many deer you can take or do you pay by the deer? Lastly how is the meat from those deer? Muledeer, antelope and elk each have their own flavor and I find antelope to be the best eating.
No public land hunting at all, you are all so fortunate where you live, keep fighting to keep it that way!
I have have different agreements with different landowners, this farmer just requires a bit of venison a couple times of year.
There is no limit on how many deer we can shoot over here, just down to your own judgement, anything over and above what I/farmer needs is sold to a butcher (game dealer), i have eaten a lot of different game meat, but like you, the best i have ever eaten is your antelope, amazing meat.

I can hear my chiller humming at the moment, think i will butcher it on Wednesday, yum, yum!

Cheers

Richard

Congratulations Richard on a nice looking buck. Looking forward to following your hunt with Dave N in a couple of weeks. Looks like you have the roe deer all figured out in your part of of the woods.

Thanks chaps.

Given the 2 shoulders to a friend.

But don't tell my friend, i have kept the tenderloins, back straps and hind quarters for myself!

Cheers

Richard

Just out of curiosity what are your favorite dishes with Roe, Fallow, or Reds?
Firstly, my favourite is roe back strap, fallow is ok, red i can take it or leave it, but a nice young red hind does cook up really well.
My fail safe way is coat it in olive oil, rosemary, garlic, seal the steak for 2 mins, whack it in a really hot oven for 6 mins, take it out and let it rest for the total amount of time you have cooked it for, 8 mins, then slice diagonally.
You probably know this already, but get everything single bit of silver skin off first.
Served with dauphinoise potatoes and spiced red cabbage.
The sauce is red wine/port/half teaspoon marmite/tablespoon ketchup all reduced and then a knob of butter.
This is making me hungry!
Cheers
Richard

Firstly, my favourite is roe back strap, fallow is ok, red i can take it or leave it, but a nice young red hind does cook up really well.
My fail safe way is coat it in olive oil, rosemary, garlic, seal the steak for 2 mins, whack it in a really hot oven for 6 mins, take it out and let it rest for the total amount of time you have cooked it for, 8 mins, then slice diagonally.
You probably know this already, but get everything single bit of silver skin off first.
Served with dauphinoise potatoes and spiced red cabbage.
The sauce is red wine/port/half teaspoon marmite/tablespoon ketchup all reduced and then a knob of butter.
This is making me hungry!
Cheers
Richard

Yum not too different from my whitetail favorite less the spicy red cabbage which sounds good. Your sauce sounds good too, might have to give that a try. Pouring a glass of wine and then getting some back strap out for dinner tomorrow. Mouth is watering now.

Regards,

Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheWolf
Back