Caribou Gear

Floorless Tipi vs. Tent

For you guys running the 6-man Seek Outside Tipi: Is it overkill for 2 guys? Can't decide between the 6-man and the Redcliff. The 6-man has 16 sq ft more space than the Redcliff, while only adding a little more than a pound in weight. I appreciate any opinions/insights you might have!

What are your intentions with it? Will you be counting ounces on a wilderness type hunt? Packing a stove? Relatively close to a vehicle?

A little bit of everything. Most use will probably be only a few miles from the vehicle. However, a deep excursion is possible. I'm going to get the hot tent bundle so a stove would tag along on some trips.

When hunting the late seasons I use a 4 season tent. For ultralight backpack hunting in nice weather I use just the fly off my 4 season tents. With a couple poles and stakes the fly setup only weighs a couple pounds and is bomberproof. If I'm concerned about rain or snow I often bring along thin painters plastic for a floor. It comes in different thicknesses. The painters plastic also keeps my gear, sleeping bag, etc from getting dirty/muddy. My tent of choice for all seasons hunting Alaska, Colorado, and Wyo is a Hilleberg Nallo 3. It has a large vestibule for gear, cooking, etc. The fly when used alone has plenty of room for 2 people (3 person tent).

For you guys running the 6-man Seek Outside Tipi: Is it overkill for 2 guys? Can't decide between the 6-man and the Redcliff. The 6-man has 16 sq ft more space than the Redcliff, while only adding a little more than a pound in weight. I appreciate any opinions/insights you might have!

I am leaning towards the Redcliff because it looks like more useable sq ft in the design. Not sure the extra rounded sq ft is worth the weight penalty. Interested to hear thoughts as I am in the market for a floorless style tent for hunting and just using with scouts.

I am leaning towards the Redcliff because it looks like more useable sq ft in the design. Not sure the extra rounded sq ft is worth the weight penalty. Interested to hear thoughts as I am in the market for a floorless style tent for hunting and just using with scouts.

The Redcliff is definitely overkill for 2 guys. We used the 16-man this past November for deer. With 6 guys, gear, and a stove it still had a TON of space inside, that might be good for your scout troop.

I can't imagine sleeping in a floorless tent "out there". I've been in Wall tents where you had to set mouse traps, and listen to them go off all night. Once, a couple pitched their small tent in a Forest Service campground. It had a floor. When they retired for the night, the gal started screaming, and her guy friend was yelling, and then laughing. The entire floor underneath the fabric was on the move with too many mice to count. They were scurrying everywhere. They started swatting the floor, and that calmed things down for awhile, but they didn't exactly sleep alone that night.
Not for me. There's mice EVERYWHERE I've ever camped in the backcountry. I will never leave my horse tack unprotected. A sweat salty piece of leather is a midnight snack for a mouse.

This is What I have for a suspension system. Works really well. Here's the spamazon link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K30H3O8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've also seen just a simple nylon strap around the tree and you tie a knot where you want to attach the hammock. It's a lighter system, but I'm just ok with knots, and not proficient so I'll put up with a bit more weight and use the ENO Atlas multi loop system.

I can't imagine sleeping in a floorless tent "out there". I've been in Wall tents where you had to set mouse traps, and listen to them go off all night. Once, a couple pitched their small tent in a Forest Service campground.

I think being "out there" is exactly why floorless is less trouble. Mice, coons, packrats etc congregate in places of easy meals. A Forest Service campground or flat roadside areas used for camping year after year make easy targets for critters. The times I've had critter troubles are the places wih dirty and well-used campsites. In the middle of the backcountry, I've had the most issue with red squirrels and chipmunks trying to get at the food. Keeping food under control is any easy to reduce critter conflicts.

JC,

I saw your post asking about hammock suspensions. You may have figured out your system already but wanted to tell you about my setup. I've never found a lighter or more flexible alternative.

I use to rock climb so I had some spare gear laying around. To sling the trees, I use two 48" runners made by Mammut because they are incredibly light and strong. These are pricey but worth it to me. You can also use 550 cord and it's cheaper.
https://www.rei.com/product/830934/mammut-contact-sling-dyneema-80

On the non-adjustable side, I use an ultralight, rated carabiner to simply close the tree sling and connect the hammock.
https://www.rei.com/product/887383/metolius-fs-mini-ii-carabiner

On the adjustable side, I use a 20' piece of 1/2" tubular webbing garda hitched into two rappel rings (which themselves are girth hitched to the other tree sling). The other end of the webbing is simply tied to my hammock.
https://www.rei.com/product/471123/smc-descending-ring

This system is about as light, simple, and flexible as it comes. I spent about $10 on hardware. And I can set up my hammock virtually anywhere between anything I can sling. I've never needed more than 10' of webbing, but you can make this system as long as you might need.

Hope this helps someone...

Cheers,
Ag

The only tent I ever used without a floor caused problems. Rodents & moisture.
Hell I've had my Kelty on a rise in the Gila be surrounded by inch deep water in the middle of the night.
Found that a bivy & tarp a good way to go extra light in back country.Hate hammocks personally.

Was looking at a wall tent or the seekoutside tipi to replace my old Gander Mtn.dome tent I used as a base camp and broke a pole.
Just cannot see not having a floor to save a few pounds over taking something else to use as a floor personally.
Every ultra light equipment guy I have known has just stuck something else in his pack after saving weight on a tent or an ounce on new hiking poles...lol

Looking at getting the pole fixed or just getting another easy to set up dome. I really wanted a tent I could stay in with a stove to dry out & get warm.But I rarely hunt more than a hour & a half from my home now and can just go home for a night instead.

I agree with Hank. Unless you really want/need an ultralight hot-tent, you might as well sleep under a tarp or just in a surplus goretex bivy. I like my tent but will overnight in a hammock in fair weather. Even a little tent shelter is a safe haven when you're stuck in a monsoon.

If you DO need an UL hot tent, then you might as well buy the Seek Outside tipi and stove from BHA and get a lifetime membership. But you need to leave a day early to make sure you have time to set up the tent and stove ;)

Or buy a Seek Outside floorless tent with a stove and get a SO Nest so your sleeping bag stays dry and bug free. Best of both worlds.

Being an old fart now & hunting solo the idea of the single pole easy set up & stove ability in the teepee has drawn me to them again.That and seeing seekoutside & stuff in Bugle, BHA & Corey's elk mag. The idea of trying to drive that many stakes in NM ground does not......
I had a real teepee years ago but it was canvas & ancient like me.

The 6-man would not be worth the extra weight if it's only 2 of you. The Red Cliff is plenty big...

Last edited:
Just got a hammock for Christmas. Trying to figure out the best suspension/strap system.

What did you figure out, does it work?

Pictures of the strap system?
I salvaged some straps off of a set of ratchet straps. I removed the hook from them and sewed a loop on the other end. They're about six feet long. Not always long enough. I'd go 8 if I had it to do again, but if I need an extension I make it out of several strands of paracord. Mine look just like the black straps in the video. I carry these straps in my cargo pants pocket along with two toggles for tying the marlinspike knots that make hammocking so adjustable and versatile, and my headlamp. That way I always know where they are and I can start my setup without digging for anything.
This is essentially what I do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giumWY1zknU No carabiner/dutch clip. I use lengths of broken arrow shaft for my toggles, but sticks aren't too hard to find usually.

-My UL 3P dome tent requires 4 stakes and two poles at a minimum to hold the rainfly with vestibules, 8-10 stakes to make it storm proof. I have to crawl on hands and knees or scoot to get in or out. Get dressed while sitting or lying on your back. Only enough room to sleep. Weighs right at 5 lbs, more with a ground tarp.
-A tarp requires at least 4 stakes and some type of pole or centerline. Superlight and great for fair weather.
-SO Cimarron requires 6 stakes and one pole. More stakes for storm proof. You get over 5' of headroom to use for dressing or sitting in a chair. Walk in door. Weighs under 4 pounds and allows use of a cot and/or stove for base camping. Stove and tent combo still only weighs 8 pounds.

Either way it requires poles and stakes. Full disclosure is the only floorless camping I've done is in a large canvas tent on a platform. I'm seriously considering the floorless option this season. If the IRS hadn't decided I didn't pay enough, I would already have ordered my Cimarron for turkey season.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back