KUIU and Peay/SFW

Ryan Payne? No idea. I don't think they let you have the interwebs in the hoosegow though. :)

If you are going to the expo, stop by the KUIU booth and let them know what you think of SFW. Jason has his listening ears on and is interested in other hunter's perspectives.

Educate, don't alienate the dude.
No Brendan Burns. IIRC he posted here way back in the day before he became "famous" after arrowing a couple of very big elk.

Jason Hairston and Brendan Burns of KUIU were on a podcast episode of Joe Rogan last week.

I was kind of concerned that they would have a platform to endorse certain things that aren't good previously mentioned in this thread, but it wasn't a bad episode. There was a lot of praising of KUIU products but other than that it was mostly hunting stories.

On a good note it was cool to hear Rogan praise our Public Lands, and convey the appreciation and importance we should have for them and those who set them aside. Good stuff to hear from someone who gets 2-3 million downloads a podcast episode.

Jason Hairston and Brendan Burns of KUIU were on a podcast episode of Joe Rogan last week.

I was kind of concerned that they would have a platform to endorse certain things that aren't good previously mentioned in this thread, but it wasn't a bad episode. There was a lot of praising of KUIU products but other than that it was mostly hunting stories.

On a good note it was cool to hear Rogan praise our Public Lands, and convey the appreciation and importance we should have for them and those who set them aside. Good stuff to hear from someone who gets 2-3 million downloads a podcast episode.

I seen that podcast as well. I felt like it was really well done and had some good points. Rogan definitely helped the public land cause and seemed to be a strong advocate for them. Brendan has always been a stand up guy when I've talked to him. He comes across with a little arrogance at first, but he's been great about answering some different questions I've had about KUIU products and other things. All in all a good episode.

Podcast was good. Now we just need to get KUIU on board with public lands since most of their customers hunt public lands whether DIY or guided. They could be a great advocate.

I agree, Kuiu needs to get onboard. With pedigree of their customer base there is no reason they shouldn't be supporting us on this issue.

Don has been a great asset to utahs wildlife!! utah has some of the best elk and deer hunting in the world. So what if hes making a living, no different than Hunttalks posterboy david allen.

Wow. Really?? You need to keep reading buddy...

DP and David Allen compared?? Thats funny...

Educate yourself before you sing the praises of a thief.

Last edited:
Here's my comment awaiting moderation:

Hello Jason,

First, thanks for your support of keeping public lands in public hands. We need all the help we can get against politicians who want to steal one of America’s greatest treasures – our ability to roam freely, hunt, fish and hike on America’s public lands. Second, thanks for getting involved in politics. It’s a thankless task as you can see but it is important that hunters engage in the political process beyond simply supporting the NRA or other groups. Thoughtful, reasoned debate is in short supply in this country and we need more ambassadors to our sport who can thread the PR needle than ever.

I have been a full-time advocate for public land, hunting, fishing, access and wildlife management since 2002, working in Wyoming, Montana and on federal issues in Washington D.C.I’d be happy to connect off line if you want some deeper insight into what’s actually going on in politics beyond the transfer and sale of public land.

On Trump, I can’t say one way or another what he would do because, honestly, he’s blowing dog whistles designed to get the most votes. Campaign promises are usually cast to side once someone gets elected. I’m hopeful that’s not the case with Mr. Trump, but I do worry about the company he’s keeping in Don Peay.

Mr. Peay & Mr. Benson have long been a boil on the butt of western wildlife and politics. The wolf is the highest profile issue, and I’d point to this press release by the NRA, SCI, RMEF & many other groups in 2011 when the wolf issue was hot and heavy: http://billingsgazette.com/lifestyl...cle_e8040da9-af35-54c3-8cc6-44cedc466bfd.html

I worked on the Simpson/Tester delisting rider along with just about every sportsman in Idaho & Montana. SFW/BGF were no friends to us when it came time to getting the work done. They, in fact, tried to kill the delisting rider when they didn’t get everything they wanted. They originally wanted to exclude wolves from ever being considered for listing under the ESA – which sounds good until you realize it would never pass under the cloture rule. One senator could have killed it. It also would have set a horrible precedent in terms of Congress politically managing wildlife rather than science and wildlife agencies. Something I hope we all can agree would be bad for critters we chase and critters we don’t.

Furthermore, we’ve fought off SFW & BGF when it comes to elk management in Montana. They supported a bill that would have forced testing & slaughtering of some of our most vulnerable elk herds, even the Northern Yellowstone Herd which is just now starting to make a comeback. They also never showed up when access fights were hot and heavy and they have backed politicians who actively support the transfer and sale of public lands in Montana.

In Wyoming, they killed a license fee increase which led to less access funding through the Wyoming Game & Fish’s Access Yes program. That budget cut also has hurt warden retention, overall health of the agency and even fish stocking programs. As someone who worked on the wolf issue for over a decade, I can honestly say that they are one of the main reasons why Wyoming doesn’t have control over their recovered wolf population today.

In Alaska, their hand-picked head of the Alaska Game & Fish had to retire in disgrace once it became public that he was not much higher up the rung than a common poacher: http://www.hcn.org/blogs/goat/amid-scandal-alaskas-wildlife-conservation-director-quits

I could go on, but would rather do that privately than air a bunch of other dirty laundry about how they have tried to purchase influence with legislators who attack public lands and the scientific management of wildlife.

Thanks for all you do, please don’t hesitate to reach out if you’d like to talk more.

- See more at: http://blog.kuiu.com/2016/01/27/trump-industry-leadership-meeting/#comment-93628

404 Error- Not Found.

Does that mean your post was deleted from the blog?

404 Error- Not Found.

Does that mean your post was deleted from the blog?

Post might have been taken down.

I did have a good email exchange with Jason about SFW. Not sure it did any good, but he as warm, kind, polite and seems like a good guy who cares about wildlife and the right to hunt & fish.

In the above video's comments, a poster asked a pointed question about KUIU stance regarding public lands. And someone representing KUIU replied:

I really enjoy your products and have turned many of my hunting buddies onto them. They are tough and get the job done in the mountains. I understand there is nothing political in this film, from what has been stated previously, but I feel as a company you are still representing the hunting community when you put out media. A majority of the hunters buying your products hunt and rely on public land. This would have been a great time to see how DJ stands on public land issues, such as the current re-evaluation of the sage grouse policy. His father's policy and drill baby drill mentality it definitely not in line with good habitat conservation. I would like to think I am supporting a company that stands and represents conservation when given the opportunity. If things do not change I will definitely be supporting another company that supports funding public lands, access and habitat conservation. Thank you.
Read more

reelskeptic51
reelskeptic51
2 days ago
I also think his actions spoke to his stand on Public Land Issues!! you may just be a little slow on the uptake Mike!!!

KUIU Ultralight Hunting
KUIU Ultralight Hunting
1 day ago (edited)
Hey Mike, thanks for your comments, and for your support! While we understand that you have questions on these policies, our focus when putting out a film like this is to tell the story of the hunt, and an interview about (for example) sage grouse policy would derail the flow of the story entirely.
This is not to say your questions aren't legitimate--they are! We can't speak to top-level policy, because we aren't THAT close to the President; however, what we do know is that Don Jr. is a strong advocate for public lands conservation and has lobbied the President hard to support policies on public land access that are favorable towards hunting. It's Don Jr.'s absolute favorite activity, and so for him, at least, it doesn't make sense to support policies that would harm it.
As for KUIU's stance on public lands: KUIU is, and always has been, strongly in support of public lands access, both in our mentality and in our charitable giving. Most of the questioning of our support has been from marketing campaigns from our competitors, trying to make the claim that we are somehow less committed because we don't brag about what we do. KUIU financially supports a number of organizations that we believe are effective at lobbying for public lands access, and frankly, we don't believe that we should have to make a big deal out of it: we're all in this together, after all. It would be insane for us not to support conservation and land access: we'd be reducing the number of potential customers out there...which would be bad for our business!
Jason's relationship with Don Jr. is primarily based on their shared love of hunting, not on political expediency. However, know that Jason, KUIU, and (as far as we can speak for him) Don Jr. are all advocates for hunters, and that we're doing as much as we possibly can to ensure that anyone can go hunt our public lands for years to come.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back