Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Caribou - 70 North transporter in Happy Valley, AK

Caribooty

Just returned on 8/17/15 with six friends from Caribou hunting on the north slope of the Brooks Mountains in Alaska. I wanted my hunting friends to be aware of the trouble we experienced with 70 North out of Happy Valley Camp. We had reservations on money deposited with Mike at 70 North for 10 months to take us out at 9:00 am on August 8th. When we got there no plane or pilot on site and seven other guys waiting ahead of us. Five hours later we corner Mike who says he has the plane making freight runs out of Deadhorse and didn't remember we were coming that day. He said we could stay in a shed on site until the next day and maybe he could get us out. Mike doesn't do written transporter contracts which is against the law we found out. We fortunately went down the road to Arrowhead Outfitters who were able to get us out that afternoon. Arrowhead is very professional and do what they promise. Mike at 70 North has apparently lost his pilot license and has been kicked out of various places due to complaints. We may have to kiss our $1,750 deposit goodbye as many unlucky hunters have but at least we moved on and got to kill a couple Caribou. Good luck.

Crazy I have had a complete different experience with Seventy North Mike and Bob where great with us put us on tons of bou and did everything as promised. That was 3 years ago and most people rave about him. However in the past two seasons I have seen some negitive post on the service three counting this one to be exact. How about doing a write up on the trip along with pics so we can enjoy the down time before elk season kicks off. Some beautiful country up there. I am interested in learning more about arrowhead if you would like to PM me what kind of deal they gave you in such a time of need. I am surprised they could work you in with such short notice that's for sure.

I can understand delays in the bush we had a small one but only a few hours as they where bringing a group of 6 out of the field before our flight in. But I had zero complaints at all with Seventy North.

I've heard mixed reviews on 70 North in recent years. I used them in 2011 and they were fine. Bob is a good pilot and put us where I asked. However, even then I thought Mike was running things a bit too 'loose.' I fly with small air taxis all over AK for work and play, so I'm use to the game. There were a few things with their operation that made me scratch my head a bit. At the end of the day the pilot was safe and that's what I want more than anything else.

I talked with Mike last year about doing a similar trip. I didn't have a problem with the price he quoted me. I did have a problem when he said he now only accepts cash as payment. Given that I was looking at over $5K in air taxi fees, I just couldn't bring myself to pay cash. I used a different air taxi and had a wonderful trip.

Glad you were able to get out and have a good trip.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back