Step 2- Take pronghorn apart-
020_zps093f0665.jpg

Step 3- Put rub on pronghorn-
image_zpsc27556b3.jpg

Step 4- Apply bacon to pronghorn and place in smoker-
image_zpsb9cd7f00.jpg

Step 5- Use hard cider to keep meat (and chef) properly hydrated-
image_zps516603ff.jpg

Step 6- Overnight a generous serving to a deserving pronghorn-virgin-Okie-HuntTalker

Seriously though. That looks good!!

Randy, don't be afraid to wrap that leg up in tinfoil with some onions and or peppers after you've given it a good round of smoke. It will help retain a lot of moisture and add some extra fixins for the meal. You just have to remember to make a "tub" with the foil as best as you can.

Randy, don't be afraid to wrap that leg up in tinfoil with some onions and or peppers after you've given it a good round of smoke. It will help retain a lot of moisture and add some extra fixins for the meal. You just have to remember to make a "tub" with the foil as best as you can.

Good call JR, it's got ten more degrees then it's headed to the cider/BBQ sauna for a couple more hours.

I'm pretty sure that shoulder belongs to my doe. Why wasn't I invited to this shindig?

Step 7- wrap into tin foil pouch with cider in bottom of pouch, put back in smoker.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 709
I'm pretty sure that shoulder belongs to my doe. Why wasn't I invited to this shindig?

Yes, your doe.

Step 6- replace bacon with more rub and a layer of BBQ sauce.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 668
Step 9- feast-

image_zps5fd55dda.jpg

A little on the dry side but not bad. The bacon from earlier went into the Mac and cheese along with a jalepenos that sat in the smoker for a while. The Mac and cheese then sat in the smoker for the last hour while the pronghorn leg sat in the grill at 300 degrees.

I've never had good luck smoking big chunks of game before, so I'm happy how this turned out.

I have a South Carolina sauce that I use as a marinade as well as a dipping sauce. My problem is it is very addictive and I overeat. I used to make this by the quarts and give it to friends. One friend told me she also was addicted to is and used it on alot of foods as an excuse, then graduated to just pouring it on a spoon. Anyway, I used it with the goats I raised and I tried it with the antelope up here in Montana, which was just as great.

You need to make this in advance. I use it after a week. Once a quart jar or bottle is opened, store in the fridge. And yes, the flavor of the organic makes a difference.

2 cups organic apple cider vinegar
1 cup water (dont use tap water with chlorine, messes it all up)
3 tbs honey
2 tbs organic dark brown sugar
2 cloves garlic crushed
1/2 tsp garlic granules
1 tbs red pepper flake
salt to taste

When I had my tepin pepper plants (havent been able to grow them sufficiently here in Montana) I would add one tepin pepper in each jar for people that liked it with a bit more bite. You could use a birdseye as well. Shake the jar before using.
Dont complain to me about overeating, I have forewarned y'all.

..a favorite

Floyd’s Pig Sauce
1 stick melted butter
2 small jars mustard
2 small bottles ketchup
1 small bottle Worcestershire sauce
1 small bottle white karo syrup
1 small bottle white vinegar
Black pepper to taste

Last edited:
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts