Best Knife Sharpening system for hunting knives

For many years I used a stone to sharpen my knives but due to a recent vision problem I can no longer hand sharpen my knives. I just purchased a Work Sharp system that people brag up and will give it a try. I carry a basic folding utility knife with the replaceable blades and a fixed 6" blade knife. I will butcher 3-4 moose, maybe a Grizzly, wolf and a caribou each season and only replace a couple blades in the folding knife which I do all the skinning and save the fixed blade for the meat separation. I don't even take a sharpener to camp let alone in the field. This has been working well for many years.

I have used all kinds of sharpeners and they all work to a degree. The one that I have settled on is just a DMT folding diamond stone. The bottom line is practice until you learn the right angle and feel and you can sharpen anything.

If your a handy guy do it the professional method. I learned from a pro who had a business sharpening surgical instruments for hospitals. By far the best is a 1 or 2" belt sander with 220,400 and 600 grit belts and a paper wheel on a bench grinder for removing and polishing off the wire edge (burr). Here is why this system works well; once you know the proper angle for a knife (usually 20 degrees hunting and 10 degrees fillet) you make one good pass on each side of the knife, mabe more if it has hit rocks. Because the belt sander will remove material fast, one pass is usually enough. Why this works is because the biggest problem with stones and other gizmos is they need many passes and if you make one bad pass with a slightly different angle you may as well start over.
The other thing is the paper wheel and polish compound for removing the wire edge that is raised. Some guys will use a leather wheel or belt too. Too many guys are fooled thinking the knife is sharp when they are really feeling only the wire edge that is raised when sharpening. This edge is sharp but folds right over as soon as it gets use and you are back to square one. When you see a guy use a steel, all he is really doing is folding the folded wire edge back up again!! An edge with a wire edge buffed off with a paper wheel will be a stronger longer lasting edge. If you ever stop at a Bass pro shop and look at what the guys do at the knife sharpening shop you will see them doing what I am describing. It takes a little practice but you can get hair shaving edge on a beat up blade in a few minutes with a belt sander and paper wheel. Not rocket science, and cheaper than most stones. Take a look at these videos of pros in action. Lots more videos on youtube, type belt sander knife sharpening in a search.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eREokC4MPM0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsTpwaTqBNg

Ditto on the belt sander. I used one for years, it also is a easy to resharpen them with one of those carbide or crockery sticks. I found one of those little stand alone sanders with the drum drive on the side. It's better for me.

Arkansas wet stone and a knife. I put a couple of swipes on my buddy's knife last year while skinning he said it was sharper then it had ever been. Just takes practice.

knife sharpening system

If you have not used one try the Work Sharp system of knife sharpeners. They have a variety of tools to use for all sorts of knives, and even broadheads. Although their flagship model is electric and uses disposable belts of various grit sandpaper, the edge it puts on a knife is as good as or better than brand new/from the factory. They also however make a field sharpener that in a pinch will do an incredible job of sharpening your blades.
My last bit of input is that if you have ever heard of Cutco knives they make a line of hunting knives that are in my opinion the finest knives for field dressing big game. Cutco is a direct marketing company out of NY. They are famous for their "Double D" blades which look serrated but are actually not and can be re-sharpened free of charge for life. I bought two Cutco knives over 15 years ago. One was just sent back to the factory for re-sharpening. I personally gutted, and skinned three elk with that knife. It could still cut a sheet of paper in half with one swipe after skinning those elk. Hope this helps!

Bringing this back from the dead! looking into sharpening a bunch of old knives I have, or going the route of getting a replaceable blade knife. Has anyone tried this sharpener? It seems to have amazing reviews online. I am a novice, so I am looking for something that will hopefully make knife sharpening a little more idiot proof.

I currently own several buck knives and have a few pocket knives I would love to sharpen. These will be used for elk/deer quartering and an occasional gut job.

Presto Professional Eversharp Knife sharpener:

More reviews on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Presto-08800-EverSharp-Electric-Sharpener/dp/B00006IUWM

I will second both the Norton and the Spyderco. Depending on the time I have ill go with the Norton just because I like picking the angle I want for each knife. The thing I love about the Spyderco is how compact it is. I went and bought the ultrafine stones as well. I will say this it is a b#$h to get a buck knife razor sharp on it for me. I am not sure if it is the steel or what but takes some time. My chef knives sharpen super quick on it. I think the Spyderco is great to throw in the truck or in a pack depending how long and far of a hunt you are doing away from a truck and if you want the extra weight in your pack. It doesn't weigh all that much.

I am not a fan of electric sharpeners my time as a chef has shown me that they will wreck a blade over time. If you lose the point on a knife it is very very hard to ever get that back and I have seen it happen to some really awesome chef knives over the years since people were lazy and went that route. Don't get me wrong they get your knife razor sharp quick just practice on some old ones first before you put your babies through one if you decide to do that.

I have used a Lansky for years now, that's if they get that dull, it brings them back to an acceptable edge, but i was introduced to the leather strop recently, it gives the edge the final finish, if it doesn't shave the hairs off your arm you need more practice!
Cheers
Richard

i convex on a 1x30 belt sander and touch up with a stop, If i was going into the backcountry i would carry a small diamond stone plus a leather stop.

Back