Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

What do you consider "In Shape"?

What do you consider "In Shape" for elk season?

• I run marathons to stay in shape. Maybe even a 50 miler.

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • I run 1/2 marathons to stay in shape. I shoot for 13 miles in under 2 hours.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I feel that being able to run 6 miles in an hour or less is in shape.

Votes: 56 19.4%
  • I spend the entire summer hiking and scouting to get in shape. Lots of elevation gains worked in.

Votes: 103 35.8%
  • I don't "work out", but am very active at work. I spend a lot of time outdoors all year long.

Votes: 65 22.6%
  • I feel that being able to jog a couple miles or so means that I'm in shape.

Votes: 29 10.1%
  • In shape, what's that? I'm a couch potato and don't understand why anyone would work out.

Votes: 12 4.2%

• Total voters
That incline looks like a killer workout SFC B, don't suppose they have a wheelchair ramp to the top.

I miss having steep stuff close by for hiking/biking. I used to have South Mountain Regional Park out my back door now I have to drive 30-45 minutes to the closest hills. I'm forced to settle for the canal bike path behind the house most of the time.

That incline looks like a killer workout SFC B, don't suppose they have a wheelchair ramp to the top.

I miss having steep stuff close by for hiking/biking. I used to have South Mountain Regional Park out my back door now I have to drive 30-45 minutes to the closest hills. I'm forced to settle for the canal bike path behind the house most of the time.

You can also get to the top by taking the Barr trail up. It is longer but possible to actually jog up. I can make it to the top up the Incline in the mid 30's if I am in a hurry but know some real endurance guys that go in the 20s!! Those guys are nuts :) It is about 15-20 minutes from my house. It really is great to have so much wonderful stuff here around the Springs.

Nothing on your pole for me. it really has a lot to do with ones age, a 60 year old man like myself can't do what you young Pups can anymore.
I walk on a treadmill and use a elliptical 3 to 4 times a week, and ride my bike, that along with my business keeps me in decent Elk hunting shape.

Kevin

Noharley - how is that back of your's sir? Are you going to be able to carry a pack?

Yes, 6 week evaluation today. All is well. Cleared for light weights starting tomorrow and OK to ride the motorcycle wearing the light brace. Go back in 6 weeks & should get the all clear and lose the brace. Back feels good but now will need conditioning which will occur faster once the brace is gone for good. Brace is like the safety belts used in construction.

Thanks for asking....

In shape? Age is a big thing, 3 or 4 years ago I thought I was in good shape, and I think I was, The last few years is very hard to stay that way, I go to the gym 3 to 4 times a week. I can still drag a deer on the flat lands of Minnesota, but pack an elk out in the mtns. no way. Thats what outfitters are for when your in your seventys.

I'm finding that Big Fin's signature line of "Hunt when you can. You're gonna run outta health before you run outta money" is all too true. I'm not an old guy but have a few issues that the doctors I've seen can't figure out, and the level of fitness has certainly dropped, but getting out hunting is the best motivator I can find to keep trying to stay in decent shape. Hunting season can't come soon enough!

Time to bring this back to the front page. Since I found out I didn't draw my easy-hunt cow elk tag, it's time to step up the workout. It'll be a backpack bull hunt for me this year. I work an office job, plus spend about 2 hours per day commuting, so keeping in shape isn't easy.

None of the choices in the poll fit me. I'm not a runner. My "in shape" goal is to be able to hunt, then pack out an elk at 8000' or higher, solo. I want to be able to hike high-altitude mountains with a heavy pack, and not be lagging behind the others in my group.

I just got back from the gym, where I swam laps for the first time in my life. My knees aren't built for running, so I think swimming is going to be a good option for me. They have a good low-impact cardio trainer too, so between those, bicycling and hopefully a few scouting hikes I can get ready by October.

Last edited:
I've now dropped about 35 lbs since Feb. 1. The last three weeks have been rough on the whole diet/exercise side of life with business travel, the 4th of July and a family vacation but the good news is that I didn't gain any weight back in this time.

I've been doing more cardio (the Insanity DVD) than anything since the beginning of June and my endurance has taken a little bit of a hit as I've only been doing one or so short runs (2-3 miles) a week. My sister asked me to run a long relay with her next weekend and I foolishly accepted... giving myself 9 days to train for a run that will entail running two different legs of the race, one leg of 6 miles and one leg of 7 miles. The different legs will likely be about 5 hours apart. I ran 4 miles in the 100% humidity last night and it was rough, but I think I'll be able to get through.

I'd like to drop about 15 more before mid-September and as long as I keep exercising, I should be just fine for my Montana archery hunt.

smalls, you better watch it or your going to get sucked into running.

I'm still on my running kick.

This was an interesting week traveling for work. Monday I was flying to Phoenix that evening so I got a 6 miler in that morning starting out at 6:30 am. Tuesday, I was on the San Carlos Indian Reservation and ran their golf course before it opened up. That was a little over 6 miles. Wednesday I ended up in San Antonio and got in a 9 mile run that morning before the conference I was going to got started that afternoon. Thursday after the conference a couple co-workers joined me for 4 miles along the river walk at 5 pm. 96 degrees and dew point was 64 for a hot and humid run, but was real enjoyable running with others. Friday I was home and put in 5.5 miles on the treadmill at the house then this morning got in a little over 12 miles with some good hills worked into the mix. Tomorrow I've got an 8 miler on the schedule that will get me to a little over 50 miles for the week.

Right now I'm on a running streak of 17 days in a row for a total of 114.9 miles for an average of 6.8 miles per day. When I was training for my marathon my running streak got up to 123 days and 971 miles for an average of 7.9 miles per day. I'm at 1,254.5 miles for the year as of today.

Keeping an online running log is really helping me keep motivated and track my progress. http://www.runningahead.com/logs/17b912e64ad246e9bbe4a270366a97f6

At some point I have to admit that I've gotten away from running to get in shape for hunting and now I'm running to get better at running. I really enjoy racing and we have a local running club that sponsors races each month. But it sure makes humping the hills in the fall a LOT easier!

Last edited:
Sorry to bring a thread up from the dead, but this thread was kind of a pivotal moment for me when I really decided that I needed to do something to get in shape.

I thought I would update it to note that I crossed a pretty big milestone for me this weekend. I've run 10,000 miles since I started this thread.

In 2011 I ended the year with 262 miles logged and was pretty proud of that. If I follow my schedule for the rest of the week, I will end up running 263 miles this month.

At 48 I'm faster than I've ever been in my life. Nothing replaces hiking in the mountains with a pack to get in shape for hunting, but with no mountains to hike within several hundred miles, running has been the next best thing for me.

I've done some ultramarathons with my longest race being a 50 miler a couple years ago, but I'm back to training for what I hope will be a Boston Qualifying marathon this spring.

I didn't ever expect to get into the competitive side of running as my only intent when I started was to get in shape, but being a somewhat competitive person, it has helped me to set goals and running different races has continued to motivate me to keep running. I think once I hit a few more of my goals (like qualifying for Boston) I will eventually get back to running more to stay in shape than to get faster, but it has been a pretty good experience so far.

I never have considered myself a "runner" and still have a hard time thinking of myself as one. It sure burns a lot of calories though!

If I was going to give one piece of advice to anyone wanting to start out, it would be to make it as easy and enjoyable as you can. Don't run so fast that it hurts, if it starts hurting, walk. Running slow regularly is WAY better than running fast sporadically. Get out there and be active even if it is walking.

It's never too late to start.

Nathan

Last edited:
Good for you NP!

I started working out after my 1st elk hunt and realizing how bad of shape i was really in. I was hunting with a guy who lives in the mountains and another one who runs a few full marathons each year. I didnt work out at all at the time.

I vowed to never be "that guy" again. I began working out immediately.

Right now, I try and run 3-4 miles about 3 times a week. I'll also load 30-40lbs in my pack and run a couple miles off trail with that. I'll load 60-100lbs in the pack and go for varying length hikes as well, up to 10-12 miles but mostly flat ground around here. I also spend 5 days a week in the gym lifting.

A flat lander can never be in good enough shape for the mountains and thin air.

Last edited:
I run on a treadmill and elliptical, and do various core strength excesizes all winter. As spring turns to summer I do more hiking and backpacking with some jogging thrown in. Life, work, and family all get busy, but I make it a priority to work out a minimum of 5 days a week. I'm 44 now and the older I've gotten the determined I am to never allow myself to become an inactive out of shape slob. So far, so good.

It's about hunting, but more than that, I was born with a congenital heart defect and so I'm pretty intense about keeping my motor tuned.

Last edited:
Congratulations Nathan! You have every right to bring this thread back to life. I can remember way back in the day when we were "friends" on Runkeeper. It is amazing what consistency can yield for results. That feeling that you can run forever (well almost) is almost impossible to describe.

When you grab that BQ and sign up, message me. Ran it in 2011. Here is a little something for motivation.

Attachments

• Boston 2011 018.jpg
    Boston 2011 018.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 120
At 66 staying in shape is a requirement! I hike a 1.75 mile trail with a 8% grade in 38 minutes 2-3 times a week. I will up the distance (twice up and down) shortly. I work out and the gym doing body pump and P90X every week. We bike ride for 1.5 hours once the weather warms up twice a week and I do yoga twice a week. I live close to hike in fishing during the summer at 9000 feet to get acclimated to high elevations and carrying weight. While all of this helps, nothing compares to the real deal of getting into your elk hunting location and getting your elk out.
Recovery is not like it use to be. I find if I stretch when I get back to came and suck on some vitamin I (ibuprofen ) the next day is okay. I really think the yoga helps as much as anything for recovery.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back