MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

What handgun do you carry when chasing bears with your hounds?

Miller27

I know that a very successful (all clients got a bear on first day in 2000) guide in my area has carried a .44 mag revolver, but has recently chatted with me about maybe upgrading to the .454 Casull revolver. Do you guys have any preferences? The .454 definitely has more whack than the .44; but is it necessary? I've heard stories about a bear taking 5 or six shots from the .44 mag and still killing a hound. What do you guys think about the subject? Thanks, Chris

I carry a 41 mag.and have never had a time I thought I needed anything biger.I had a 357 mag.and their where several times it was not gun enaugh.I tried a 454 casel one time, and after shooting it one time I had blood coming from my ears nose and eyes LOL LOL.If you place your shots well you can kill a bear with a 22 rim fire.
Just my opinion.

------------------
We having fun yet//Tobey

Guns heck I use my bare hands.....lol, just kiddin, nah I got a Rugar P89, 9mm, someday would like to have larger caliber, but it works, some people say its to light but I got 3 highcapicity clips, 2, 16 rounds and 1, 18 round....thats 50 rounds...lol, I feel thats enough to give a bear a belly ache

------------------
chewin_md_clr.gif
GatoMan

Miller27,

I also use a .44 mag for bear and lion. It is a S&W with an 8 3/8" barrel. It is probably too much gun for lion, but I am comfortable shooting and confident with it. With clients, the only time I am going to fire a shot is if the chit hits the fan, so having too much gun is not an issue for me. As far as bear is concerned, I once shot a 350 pound blackie three times in the side of the head before he died. They can absorb some lead if their adrenilin is pumping. So, to answer your question, I think a .44 is sufficient. Just remember to tie your dogs back away from the tree before the hunter shoots!!
biggrin.gif

------------------
"The worst advice you can give a person with a sour attitude is to be himself"
[email protected]

I use a 357 Smith & Wesson. I have never had any problems with it. I think it depends alot on the slug you use. Some people probly feel better with a 44...

------------------
CATMAN

Thanks all for the input.

Gatoman,
That's one heck of a barage that you've got to throw at a bear. The thing that scares me is the ballistics of the 9mm. It's fine for a small-framed human, but there isn't much energy to punch through hide and fat and throw the bear down. Plus, I doubt that I could load the second or third clip
biggrin.gif
Ya know, with the shakes and a pant-load!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Miller 27, I don't think much of the 9mm handgun on any animal larger than a small goat. The 41mag or 44 mag is a better choice I would say, but your hand must be able to fit the grips, in order for a person to shoot it with any amount of accuracy. Most stock grips will cause the handgun to rotate in your hand. So get fitted grips! I shoot a S&W 44mag, but don't shoot it as well as my .357 python for quickness and accuracy. I do believe however that if one needs more pistol than the above mentioned, carry a 444 Marlin its that simple.

Ha ha. I went to the neighbor girl’s high school graduation party last night. She wasn’t even eating solid foods when this thread started!! I still had a year of high school left!

yeah, still no consensus.
Some things never change

Last edited:
.357 all day for me. Although, if I had clients and dogs to protect I would consider a 10mm just for the extra capacity.

Attachments

• acc=1;doc=146.jpeg
    acc=1;doc=146.jpeg
    184 KB · Views: 184
I have always carried a Glock model 22 (.40 cal) with my hounds...it is not an ideal dedicated bear round, but it is better than nothing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back