transporting meet

old man

I live in the north east and would like to know how hunters from this area get their elk meat home.

Last edited:
I transported two elk home on two different trips to different states this year. The first one was processed and froze then put in coolers for the plane ride home. The second came home as mostly skinned quarters in coolers for the drive home. It was late enough (Dec) in the year that we didn't even have to bother with ice on them. If it had been warmer I probably would have just put the meat, boned if I needed the room, into trashbags and them kept them on ice for the drive. I've done this with pronghorn in Sept. for up to 5 days from kill to processing and it kept fine.

I transported two elk home on two different trips to different states this year. The first one was processed and froze then put in coolers for the plane ride home. The second came home as mostly skinned quarters in coolers for the drive home. It was late enough (Dec) in the year that we didn't even have to bother with ice on them. If it had been warmer I probably would have just put the meat, boned if I needed the room, into trashbags and them kept them on ice for the drive. I've done this with pronghorn in Sept. for up to 5 days from kill to processing and it kept fine.
Yes the trash bags work great to keep meat out of the water. Just make sure the meat is fully cooled before putting it in the bags because they will hold in heat.

Generally living near where I hunt I usually use transport whole straight home. I follow what 1_pointer does when I transport deer/antelope across the state. I've seen guys using dry ice with success. Lately I've seen guys put their meat in a deep freeze on a trailer attached to a generator. That seems to be a little overkill may be cheaper in the long run than a bunch of ice/dry ice.

1Pointer how many coolers did an adult elk take for a plane ride home? Hopefully I will have to endure that this fall if I'm lucky.

I put a 11 cu. ft. chest freezer in the front of my Cargo Trailer, and I have a generator to run it, I just get the meat good and cold maybe even semi froze before I head home, and it stays just fine for my 2 day drive home. then I process it at home my self.

Kevin

1Pointer how many coolers did an adult elk take for a plane ride home? Hopefully I will have to endure that this fall if I'm lucky.
To be fair, I didn't get quite all of it on the plane, some stayed behind with my buddy. I used two 70qt coolers, which depending on model/regs is about the biggest you can use without paying oversize fees. I then loaded up each as close to the 100# max weight as I could. Be prepared for sticker shock. I think I asked the agent twice if the price was correct.

I am also from the Northeast (Pocono Mtns, Pa.), I have made many trips to Colorado to hunt elk, always the third rifle season. We like to bone out the meat, wrap it in freezer wrap and pack everything in coolers. Depending on if the animal is harvested early in the hunt it usually freezes with the cold temperatures during that first week of November. If we harvest late in the week I will stop for dry ice and seal the coolers tight. When I get home I drop it off at my local butcher for processing. Nothing better than some elk meat during the long cold winter here in Pa.
Good Luck.

the price of shipping by plane is what I was afraid of. does anyone think I can pay for any service's with the meat?

Rocky, Are you saying you drive to Colorado. if not, what does it cost to ship. Also I am alone and it would be nice if you would let me join you some time.

Yes, I drive out to Leadville Colorado. I usually haul all the gear, guns and ATV, then I transport any meat back to Pa. The rest of the group flies out to Denver and rents a car. I had prior obligations in 2014 and did not hunt. I did spend a week in Estes park in September. Had a great time playing with all the bulls in the area. I applied for a tag this year. You would have to apply for unit 48 and the application period is over. If I draw this year I will be hunting alone.

welcome to the club Rocky. Computers can be such a pain at times. I don't even no how to pm you from here, so I will ask you here if I can keep in touch with you thru e mails. mine is [email protected]

Back