Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

10x32 Swarovski EL's

BuzzH

Looked through a pair of these today and liked them. I could get used to the size and weight of them pretty easy. Glass seems on par with any other Swarovski product.

Anyone use them and have any thoughts?

Concerns?

Likes?

Dislikes?

Buzz, I've got the 10x42 and love em! Clear as can be, tough/rugged, no dislikes (except mine doesn't have a built in rangefinder :) I know they are a little heavier than the 10x32s you're asking about, but I figured I'd throw out my 2c on a similar pair

The glass is definitely as good as any other binocular Swarovski makes. I thought that because of the size they would be lacking, but they aren't. You won't be disappointed.

I've handled and looked through several pairs of El 32s.
In my opinion, today’s glass and coating on top tier binoculars are so good, you give up almost nothing going down to 32 mm objectives.
On the other hand, the size and weight is a big +.

If I ever buy another pair of top end binoculars, they will be 32 mm.

I also have a pair of 10x42 and love them. They r worth their price. I use them everywhere. Alaska fishing,nebraska turkey hunting , and elk hunting of coarse. They warranty the eye cup pieces at no charge. Pull the trigger u will not b disappointed

You get much more use out of your equipment than most every other person. Plus, I don't doubt that if I had Swarovski's and you had a $20 pair of Bushnells, that you'd still find more game than me.

All you're really giving up is some light gathering capabilities. If you carry a spotting scope as well then the 8 oz weight savings is probably well worth it in a hunting situation. You spend so much time afield not hunting as well; I imagine there are times you haul around binoculars just because, but don't end up using them. Smaller and lighter can't be bad if you carry them mile after mile "just in case".

I have the 10x50 EL's and wished I'd bought the 10x42's. Not sure I'd drop down to the 10x32's, but the amount of light gathering you get out of the 10x50's isn't drastic enough to carry around the extra weight I don't think.

Quick question without hijacking the thread. I have a pair of 10x50 binos and i see a good distance with them but alot of HTers talk about 10x32 or 42. What would be the difference? Im not highly glass educated so i always figured bigger is better. Also im in AZ so i do alot of long distance.

Buzz, my only concern would be the 10mm discrepency mititigating low light conditions. I use the 10x42 EL Swarovisions but wouldn't hesitate to use the older versions at mucho$$$ less....or the SLC's.

Quick question without hijacking the thread. I have a pair of 10x50 binos and i see a good distance with them but alot of HTers talk about 10x32 or 42. What would be the difference? Im not highly glass educated so i always figured bigger is better. Also im in AZ so i do alot of long distance.

In general it is a weight/performance (light) cost/benefit ratio. Meaning, is the extra weight/size of the 42s over the 32s and 50s over the 42s worth it? It's really a preference issue.

Some also weigh the benefits of 10x over 8x as there are diminishing returns when glassing w/out a tripod. In the end it's all personal preference, very few if any of us actually will have the opportunity to do a true side by side comparison in the field.

It has to do with exit pupil size. The ideal exit pupil size for the average human eye is around 4mm. Your 10x50 have an exit pupil size of 5. Some people say the extra 1mm is wasted because your eye can only process 4mm.

10x32's have exit pupil size of 3.2mm. Again, some would suggest worse performance because you aren't optimizing your eye's ability to process 4mm.

I'm by no means an expert, and I might be wrong.

Last edited:

The only difference is in the ojective size. Essentially, the bigger objective, the more light it will let in. There would probably be little noticable difference during peak daylight hours between a 10x50, 10x42, and 10x32. The 10x50 should bring a little more light into the objectives during low light situations. Obviously glass quality plays a big part two. A lot of people have decided that the incremental visibility gains at dawn and dusk is not worth the weight of carrying bigger class.

It has to do with exit pupil size. The ideal exit pupil size for the average human eye is around 4mm. Your 10x50 have an exit pupil size of 5. Some people say the extra 1mm is wasted because your eye can only process 4mm.

10x32's have exit pupil size of 3.2mm. Again, some would suggest worse performance because you aren't optimizing your eye's ability to process 4mm.

dustinf, I am also no expert, but, I have always thought that 5mm was the tops for the human eye? Im hoping someone can clear this up for us. I thought that the eye could only process up to 5, so, when figuring the best glass you took the 10x32 and mulitplied at .10x32 = 3.2 on the 5 scale. I may be waaayyyyy off. anyone know the proper way for figuring this?? I may learn something else today. . .I'm good with that.:)

Yerp! I'd bet those Swaro 32mm have better resolution at o' dark thirty than many 'lesser' brands with larger objectives. I wouldn't be skeered to use them, but I'd probably opt for the 8X version. The lighter weight of the X32s might make them a touch harder to hold steady which may be balanced out somewhat with the lower magnification of the 8X. I currently use 8X binos and find that magnification quite suitable. That said, the view through the Swarovision 10X42s is nearly orgasmic... :D

dustinf, I am also no expert, but, I have always thought that 5mm was the tops for the human eye? Im hoping someone can clear this up for us. I thought that the eye could only process up to 5, so, when figuring the best glass you took the 10x32 and mulitplied at .10x32 = 3.2 on the 5 scale. I may be waaayyyyy off. anyone know the proper way for figuring this?? I may learn something else today. . .I'm good with that.:)

Here's some decent info from wikipedia:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exit_pupil

Since the eye's pupil varies in diameter with viewing conditions, the ideal exit pupil diameter depends on the application.[1] An astronomical telescope requires a large pupil because it is designed to be used for looking at dim objects at night, while a microscope will require a much smaller pupil since the object will be brightly illuminated. A set of 7×50 binoculars has an exit pupil just over 7 mm, which corresponds to the average pupil size of a youthful dark-adapted human eye in circumstances with no extraneous light. The emergent light at the eyepiece then fills the eye's pupil, meaning no loss of brightness at night due to using such binoculars (assuming perfect transmission). In daylight, when the eye's pupil is only 4 mm in diameter, over half the light will be blocked by the iris and will not reach the retina. However, the loss of light in the daytime is generally not significant since there is so much light to start with. By contrast, 8×32 binoculars, often sold with emphasis on their compactness, have an exit pupil of only 4 mm. That is sufficient to fill a typical daytime eye pupil, making these binoculars better suited to daytime than night-time use. The maximum pupil size of a human eye is typically 5–9 mm for individuals below 25 years old, and decreases slowly with age after that.[2][3]

I guess I was half right.

A larger exit pupil is not a waste, because the extra diameter could be useful in dusk/dawn conditions when the users eye would be dilated more.

Last edited:
Buzz I've had 8.5x42, 10x42, 10x32, 8x50 and 8x32. These have been either leica or Swarovski optics and after all those I am back with a pair of 8x32 leicas. I love the size and in low light I am more than happy with them, the other part i like is how handy they are and easy to stow away went making a sneak. I tend to carry a spotting scope most of the time hunting so not worried about the extra power. The 10x32s I had were leicas and was happy with them mostly got rid of them to try something different. I

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back