trapping trip

mixedbag

I noticed alot of guys had some interest in trapping during some threads this winter.I've been trapping since I've been 10 yrs old;now 43.I'd like to find someone interested in learning or to join someone on their line for this fall/winter.I'd be interested in any western state,or the mid-west;possibly the deep south.I have hundreds of traps and supplies so if your new to it, you wouldn't need anything.This isn't for a money making venture but rather for fun and checking out new areas.We would split anything we made on fur.You'd have to line up some land to trap or have state land available.I don't care if its a water line or canine line you want to trap.Its fun to me either way
so anyone interested in running a trapline together this fall,after hunting seasons,send me a pm and we can talk

I'm certainly hoping to give trapping a try this year, especially since I've had a few beavers move in on the place I bought last fall. Once it gets closer to season, I'll definitely be asking lots of questions. Since I'll be trapping in IN, I'll probably focus on raccoons at first due to there being lots of them and I'd like to help out the turkeys some.

One issue I'm trying to figure out is how to keep from catching dogs, especially on my place. My sister lives next to it and her dogs travel over there some and I'd hate to catch one. So, I'll probably limit the sets I use there to either coon cuffs or one I've seen online of using a conibear in a bucket that is mounted in a tree. There's quite a bit of federal/state land near there where I hope to put some sets on that her dogs don't get to that I'll probably try a few ground sets.

You could clean out the coons pretty quick.I'd ask her to keep them in for one week and set for them heavy then

If your interested in Ohio let me know. Most of the sets would be land for either coon, fox or coyote. But I have access to farm ground and could probably get more access if you are interested.

1pointer I like the duke dp's better than the coon cuffs.they are more user friendly.Just remember when they say a trap is dog proof they should be saying dog resistant.if you got any questions feel free to ask.

1pointer I like the duke dp's better than the coon cuffs.they are more user friendly.Just remember when they say a trap is dog proof they should be saying dog resistant.if you got any questions feel free to ask.
Thanks for the tip!! I figured that may be the case. Oh, I'll be asking questions all right! :D

You could clean out the coons pretty quick.I'd ask her to keep them in for one week and set for them heavy then
I'm hoping so! I've cut tracks both in the woods and along the creek that forms a property boundary, so I know they're there, just have to find out if I'm smart enough to catch a few. ;) The creek does leave our property onto federally owned, state managed land that is open for trapping. I'll probably focus towards that end as it's farther from her house and I've yet to see her dogs over there.

What would you say is the amount of time needed to have some success? Reason I ask is that I don't live close enough to be there except in spurts. I'll be down there quite a few weekends during deer seasons, hoping for at least one 2 week stretch in November and possibly another week around Xmas/New Years. Is it reasonable to set a few sets for a weekend or would I be better off waiting until I can do so for a week or so at a time?

For coons, you can go on just weekends.They are easy,so I don't see you having any problems with them.Gang set everywhere you see tracks.For coons, I like anywhere from 2-4 traps /sets in a spot depending on the amount of sign.
Canines will be better to have 3-5 days in a row for setting.Yotes in the east run large circuits and some take about 10 days to circle back again.Fox have a smaller area,and if you can find a good run,you'll catch one everyday from the same set.Powerlines,gaslines,gated forest roads are all canine highways out here

Thanks!! I might be more excited to give this ago this fall/winter than I am about deer hunting.

It may be worth your time to see if your state trappers association has a convention in your area this summer.Sometimes surrounding states may be closer as well.

Alot of good books you can buy for trapping.I deal with Buckeye trap supply and Minnesota trap supply alot.Get a couple books and you'll be fine;or a dvd

Thanks again for the heads up on the sources of info. A guy that posts here infrequently has lent me a few DVDs (Fur-Fish-Game series) and a bunch of VHS tapes. Hopefully that will help shorten the learning curve. Now if I could just find where I put my VCR... ;)

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back