Caribou Gear

Episode #4 - OTC Colorado Elk Hunt

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
The season is moving right along. This week is an over-the-counter rifle elk hunt in Colorado. It is by far the most "doable" hunt for viewers.

This hunt was with my brother, Jason, who posts here infrequently as Log Dawg. It was a great time to spend a week showing him my passion for the elk country of the west. I wanted to show him why I am so passionate about conserving wild places for wild elk. Hopefully he has a better understanding of my motivations for such.

You can do this hunt for less than $1,500. If you join up with two or three buddies, you can do it even cheaper. It is the most fun than you can have for a week of hunting, at that price. Especially if you are sharing that week with a brother who you don't get to see often enough.

Tags for Colorado OTC elk are now on sale. Over 300,000 elk live in Colorado on 23 millions acres of public land.

Go do it. I will be back again this year.

If you want to read the day-by-day posts of this hunt, here is the link.

http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=244457

IMG_5852.JPG

Looking forward to seeing this episode. Lots of opportunity to big game in Colorado & in most states out west.

The local newspaper had a very positive article on your show Randy.

The CO DOW and the local economy is counting on this being the economic stimulus for this fall.

I for one, hope to fill the freezer with Western CO elk this fall. Tasty animals they are.

DirecTV mis-labeled this episode as a Kansas Rifle Whitetail Deer Hunt, not the CO Elk Hunt that is actually airing.
Have done the over the counter hunt in Colorado when I was younger with my Dad and Uncle, I passed on harvesting my 1st bull elk so that my uncle could have a chance at getting his. Long story short we did not get an elk, however had a great time and would recommend this hunt to anyone that has not been elk hunting or that just wants to get out elk hunting with friends. It was hard hiking where we went, however we saw a good amount of bulls. The only negative that I would say is that now there are a lot of people that know about hunting in Colorado, so don't be surprised to see 3 or 4 groups of hunters where you are hunting.

Just watched the show...man those roads don't looks fun when they are slick. I love the footage of all the ATV guys and the one guy that even seemed to be napping. :)

Just watched the show...man those roads don't looks fun when they are slick. I love the footage of all the ATV guys and the one guy that even seemed to be napping. :)
Out here, bring your chains for the mud not the snow...

Nice episode. That was something having all those spikes traveling together. Looking forward to my day in the dark timber this year.

Looks like I won't get to see it the first time around. I've got a meeting in Chicago and I doubt that the Sportsman Channel will be on the cable at the hotel. I'll keep an eye out for a repeat.

DirecTV mis-labeled this episode as a Kansas Rifle Whitetail Deer Hunt, not the CO Elk Hunt that is actually airing.

Dish Network had it mislabled as Kansas Rifle Whitetail as well.

Very good episode. I replayed the shot several times and there is no doubt that it hit the Aspen tree just to the right of the elk.

I agree, he got himself a nice aspen. Great episode and a good way to get out there and enjoy the mountains.

I agree, he got himself a nice aspen. Great episode and a good way to get out there and enjoy the mountains.

Yup, he sure did. That is what happens when you take a logger elk hunting. The trees are in greater danger than the elk.

GJ sentinel had a nice piece on this episode on the front page of the outdoor section today. Tied it into the DIY is doable message Along with some Randy-isms.Somehow I thought the hunt occured in a different area than what the paper indicated. Guess i need to check out the episode for myself.

Great show Randy, this is the realism of hunting. I can feel his pain because I've been there, like many others. It's not the kill, it's the experence!

Have a great fall
John

Randy,

I really really liked this show. You guys did a great job depicting how hunting with family is all about. Loved the razzing, joking, attitude and reflection in the hunt. Great job showing what hunting is all about. I'm sure it won't be long before your brother will be up here hunting again.

+1 on the snowball shot. I get a laugh out of the show's intro every time Randy says he's not an athlete and the next scene shows him about fall crossing a stream. Great show like always.

Very good show and great scenery. Did your brother shoot the "tree". It appeared that the bullet skimmed the aspen tree. Just plain bad luck.

good luck to all
the dog

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back