Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Cots Good/Bad?

idnative1948

Leaving the palace home this year so tenting again in the senior years of my life.

Starting from scratch....

Brands?

How to stay warm?

The Outfitters XL from Cabelas and the cot that Davis Tents in Denver produce are both good and about $100.00. Davis is very sturdy and easy to get together. Sleeping bag - if coming to Colorado during Fall/Winter and hunting out of a base or spike camp I would consider no bag rated higher than 0 - We use on from Gander Mnt and the other is the Cabelas Magnum 44 both are similar.

If coming in the cold weather remember your wool - it really makes a difference when it is wet and cold outside. Hope this helps.

Ron

All I know is that you want some sort of pad or insulator under your sleeping bag with a cot. My brother and I sleep up in our camp one night in high school thinking we were in heaven with a cot. We both woke up in the middle of the night with our teeth chattering. The cold air just comes up underneath you and you freeze. Sorry for no brand suggestions but thought I'd share a cot lesson I learnt as a young lad:D Good Luck. I know Fin has a nice cot he uses in a wall tent.

Yep, use a pad underneath in a cot or a hammock. The sleeping bag gets compressed too thin on your pressure points causing cold spots

I've had the same army issue cot for close to twenty years purchased from an army/navy store.Its solid but sometimes you have to really wrestle with the end bars.For comfort and warmth the sleeping pad is a good idea.I've used combinations of blankets, therma-rests, bivy sacks, and many times two sleeping bags at once,.....this saved my bacon one year on Fort Peck at -25( thats 'cuz the boat was frozen and we were stranded for a bit).

Main reason for cots - Comfort and storage space.
Cot: Alps... was a Sportsman Warehouse special for XL size. It sits off the ground a good distance to slide backpacks, suitcases, totes, etc underneath. It is simply lost space to not get a cot with clearence to store items... esp in a 10x12 or 12x14.

I do just fine bringing my old thick rectangular sleeping bag as a base then have my new bag on top. My thermarest seems to always go to another who forgot to bring a mat or one who could use a bit more...

Buddy has a cot he likes though really appreciates the space available under the cot having seen mine.

Anyhow, for what it is worth.

I have to 2nd what Lawnboy said. The highest end cot is worthless if it won't insulate you from the cold. At the very least, lay down a closed cell foam pad, like the ThermaRest Ridge Rest Solar on the cot, under the bag. If it's comfort you're looking for, bring along a lightweight camp chair to sit in (more comfy than sitting on a cot) and bring along a Nemo Cosmo Air & Pillowtop to lay down on. Won't get any better nights sleep in the backcountry.

I've had the same army issue cot for close to twenty years purchased from an army/navy store.Its solid but sometimes you have to really wrestle with the end bars.For comfort and warmth the sleeping pad is a good idea.I've used combinations of blankets, therma-rests, bivy sacks, and many times two sleeping bags at once,.....this saved my bacon one year on Fort Peck at -25( thats 'cuz the boat was frozen and we were stranded for a bit).

Same end bar issue. I use Cabela's 3" foam cot pad. I also use this cot pad sleeping on the ground. I can sleep on a self inflating pad, but not very well. An Ensolite pad, or similar, is just not much padding for me. I don't do well sleeping on the ground any more, I'm too old and the ground's too hard.

Cabelas outiftter xl cot with pad and a cabelas magnum 44 bag is quite comfortable and gives you lots of room.

Has anybody tried memory foam on a cot? Am getting a queen-size one for nothing so going to cut it down to use on the bed in our travel trailer and will have just enough left over for cot. Just wondering.......?
Waste of time?

I use the cot made by Coleman with the springs & mat that sells for about $40 at Wal-Mart. I then put a quenn size egg crate folded in half in a sleeping bag and talk about soft. I use that when I go camping or hunting where I can have some extra's.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skywagon
Back