Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Rifle/caliber recomendation for Kodiak bear

Bambistew

So the woman drew a Kodiak tag... I think the plan is for her to use my 325WSM, but I'm thinking of buying a 'back' up rifle. She's shot my 375H&H, but I don't want to talk a blue/wood rifle to Kodaik, and may actually sell/trade it on a replacment. I'm thinking of a Kimber Montana in 338win mag. But I'm open to opinions...

My second option and really a dead heat with the Kimber... is to build a 416 Tayor on a SS M70 action. I've always wanted a Taylor and finally have a reason to build one. :)

Build the Taylor, you may never have another reason to build one. Another option would be to get the .375 restocked with a synthetic and have the metal coated. Either way sounds like fun!

You are absoultely correct about not taking a blued rifle to Kodiak.... particularly if you are going to be on the water at all. When we hunted there for goats even our stainless rifles started to rust, and the blued scope mounts had to be replaced after the trip.

I am partial to chasing big nasty bears with a stick and string..... but if a rifle is the tool of choice, I would say that anything flinging a 200gr bonded bullet that she can shoot well enough to put in the right place will do the job.

Elkwhisper

I don't post here, but I have a potentially suitable rifle advertised on other sites. It's a remington model 7 KS in 350 Remington Magnum.

If you don't know, the KS denotes "kevlar special" (I think...). It came from the factory with a coating of sorts on all exposed barrel and action metal, a lightweight McMillan stock, and a 20" barrel. It's not a huge trick to get 2700+ fps out of a 225 grain bullet, or 2550-2600 with a 250. I have brass, bullets, and dies.

I'm in anchorage. PM me if you want to check it out. If you want to shoot it first, that could be arranged.

Price: $875 OBO for the rifle.

So the woman drew a Kodiak tag... I think the plan is for her to use my 325WSM, but I'm thinking of buying a 'back' up rifle. She's shot my 375H&H, but I don't want to talk a blue/wood rifle to Kodaik, and may actually sell/trade it on a replacment. I'm thinking of a Kimber Montana in 338win mag. But I'm open to opinions...

My second option and really a dead heat with the Kimber... is to build a 416 Tayor on a SS M70 action. I've always wanted a Taylor and finally have a reason to build one. :)

I'm going to Kodiak this spring. I'm taking my 338 Ultra Mag with 210 Barnes XLC's at around 3200. Black bears hit the ground rather hard with that combo, and I can't see a brown bear surviving it. It's got some kick, but the kick is well worth what it does to game.

It's a Factory SS Rem 700 that has been restocked with a McM Classic Stock. A great handling rifle at about 8lbs. You can put one together for about 1k.
338ultra.jpg

Must admit Bambi, I am more looking forward to hearing how her 325wsm performs on big bears. You gonna load her up with one of the 220gr pills, or stick with the 200grainers?

But in answer to your question for your backup, a 416 Taylor would certainly be a nice gun to have.

I'll stick with the 200 grain Accubonds.

Thanks for the link Calvin.

Performance is a step up with a RUM over the Taylor? How so?

Am looking forward to hearing how the accubonds perform on the big bears, I have been plenty happy with them on Shiras and Canadian Moose.

Wow, that hunt should make some good pics. I am interested on the .325 as well. I have one sitting in a box unfired. Won it 5 years ago or so, maybe I could be convinced to buy a scope and put on it. Maybe get me convinced to start reloading.

Performance is a step up with a RUM over the Taylor? How so?

Yeah that comparison struck me as kind of odd...kind of like comparing an '06 to a 45-70. In some ways, the '06 is more powerful...in other ways it is not.

Apples and oranges, IMO.

I've been packing a 325 for about 5 years now. Has yet to under perform, and I think it would be more than adequate for a big bear. I'd like to have something that would poke a big hole through a critter if I needed to.

Borrowing a rifle is out of the question. I'm not going with a guide who will be packing back up heat... I am the back up.

Back