Field camera

jore07

I was just wondering what you guys would recommend for a camera out in the field to take pictures while I'm hunting of critters not in the scope. I don't really have a clue where to start. Any suggestions or ideas would help.

Thanks!

For sake of discussion, I divide cameras into three categories.

Point & shoot (compact)

Super zoom point & shoot (larger)

SLR (big)

SLRs are large, and have interchangeable lens and lots of settings and adjustments. For serious photography.

I assume you are talking about one of the two “point & shoot” type cameras.

The first thing you need to decide is the trade off between zoom, and size. Basically, you can get compact “pocket size” cameras with up to about 10X or 12X zoom. They are not much bigger than a deck of cards, and will fit in your front shirt pocket, very handy.
For more zoom, “Super zoom” cameras are larger, and usually end up in a day pack,, but you can get them up to 30X zoom.

I own one of each, and usually carry the compact when hunting. I found I was missing too many photo opportunities while digging the super zoom out of my pack. The super zoom goes along on scouting and hikes, or rides in the cab of my truck.

All of the major brands make good cameras.
I like the Panasonic “Lumix” line of cameras. They have excellent lens, and an automatic setting mode called “IA” (intelligent auto) that chooses the best mode to shoot in.
Nikon and Cannon also make very good cameras.

The next decision is how many “Mega pixels” , get as many as you can afford.

Expect to spend about $200 for a good compact, or about $250-$300 for a good super zoom.

Also, be advised. Within six months of you buying a great camera, someone will come out with a much better camera for less money. Happens every time.

12X zoom at 50 yards

P1000183.jpg

Last edited:
This photo was taken with a cheap camera at 4X zoom, then blown up to represent 10X zoom, you can see how much difference a good camera with a lot of optical zoom makes.

tankbull6.jpg

Last edited:
Props to the Lumix. I think I will need to get a new one soon since I may have beat mine up one too many times.

Hey A-con, do you think the Panasonic Lumix FH22 is in the same ballpark for a point and shoot?

I long went over these deliberations too. Here is what I came up with...

Best in class pocket point and shoot: Canon S95

Best in class super zoom point and shoot: Panasonic Lumix FZ 35 or the newer FZ 100

Best in class SLR: Olympus E620

The Canon S95 takes borderline professional quality photos. Really nice. The drawback is it only has limited zoom, and like all point and shoots, it is slow. I really like to use this little guy when digiscoping. Takes slick video too.

The Panasonics are fantastic. Take awesome photos that are also close to pro grade. Again the drawback is speed. It takes a long time to focus and get the shot off. This can be frustrating when trying to take pics of wildlife. Good zoom, but quality will suffer a bit in low light and high zoom. Has a video function.

The Olympus is a neat SLR. It is the smallest and lightest available, at least that I am aware of. Not much bigger than an advanced, super zoom point and shoot. Like all SLRs, it is really fast so you can rip off pics in a hurry. Takes excellent photos. The downside to this and all other SLR's is obviously the size (although this one is better than most) and the shutter noise. There is no silent mode like on a point and shoot. The shutter makes an audible click. This really makes it a long range camera for wildlife useage. A variety of zoom lenses are available.

None of these are really pro grade cameras, but they take remarkably good photos and won't break the bank. They are a good compromise of quality vs. cost. You just need to decide which style fits your needs.

Hey guys thanks for all the info.
I am definately going to invest in some type of the point and shoot type probably one of the cameras you all have recommended.

Thanks for the help any other opinions or recommendations would be great as well...the more the better.

My son just got a Kodak Playsport. It is waterproof, pocket size, takes HD video and 5 megapixel stills. Probably only good at closer ranges, but you can' t have everything.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back