Fresh Salmon

idnative1948

The mailroom in our office is next door to me. The mail lady came in awhile ago to ask me if I could help her lift a box because it was over 50#. Said box contained fresh frozen salmon just back from Alaska for one of our engineers who was up fishing last week.

He wasn't sure how he was going to get it home (remember, he is an engineer). I asked him why he didn't just go grab a couple of styro coolers from the kitchen, throw the fish in and run home and dump it in his freezer. Being so impressed by a non-engineer he gave me a nice fillet.

Other than plank cooking it on the grill, any other idears? Tin foil with butter and lemon thyme? Don't want to bake in the oven as house gets too hot.

Recom on good white wine to go with it?

Grill in skin side down with a little olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper with a bottle of Rombauer chardonnay

Idnative1948 u lucky dog! Man that's is good stuff, fresh too! All sorts of ways to cook it. I like brown sugar and mayo, with all your spices in tin foil! But also zesty italian dressing isn't to bad either in tin foil! My mouth is watering already. Good luck with that.

Think I will stick with the plank. I haven't screwed up a large piece of fish on it yet, but I printed off your ideas because I can't remember chit, so my honey says.

Chasendeer, good call on the wine. I actually tried some of that last weekend.

I really like that salmon on the grill topped off with some butter and brown sugar as well as the garlic and some lemon pepper.

Salt and peper... right on the gril, skin down... cook until the fat starts oozing out the top.

Planks are for whimps, and it tastes like a piece of wood... :)

I oven bake salmon in a dijon / thyme sauce. Once I get to a point where is is soft / able to flake inside, I take it out of the stone pan and place it on a olive oil brushed grill. I pour the sauce into a small pot and place good ole montreal steak seasoning in. (ya, ya - steak seasoning...) I heat that up stirring in a bit of straight horseradish (not enough to overpower.. just enough to compliment the dijon) throw a bit of fresh thyme (not dried).
Remove the salmon from the grill and presto -
A nice grilled outside with solf flakey inside and a sauce that is making me drewl to top her off.

Some grilled asparagus, green onion shoots, thin strips of various colored bell pepper... all butter / olive oil basted.

damn, now I'll have to go to the market and make a mess of the kitchen...

Hey ID1948, You said you seen my truck by the ID FRY company by Carls Jr that one time and said you work with Engineers.... Do you work for Washington group or Chum-hill over that way ?

If it's fresh Sockeye/King/Coho, then cook it skin down, over charcoal. Don't overcook. I like a little Johnny's on mine.

Hey ID1948, You said you seen my truck by the ID FRY company by Carls Jr that one time and said you work with Engineers.... Do you work for Washington group or Chum-hill over that way ?

Chum-hill. Hmmm, not too many people call it that. You must know somebody here.

Salt and peper... right on the gril, skin down... cook until the fat starts oozing out the top.

Planks are for whimps, and it tastes like a piece of wood... :)

Tastes like wood?? I've told you to quit using pressure treated 2X6's. Don't you remember?

Last edited:
Another way to prepare is by smoking. Most people use hickory, but apple or pecan branches provide a great flavor also.

Chum-hill. Hmmm, not too many people call it that. You must know somebody here.

HAHA.. I contracted out to them for several years. I do CADD work. I've tried many different things in between then and now I'm back to Design work in CADD just down the road with FORSGREN as an employee since Jan 1st of this year

I know Betsy, Lisa, Scott, Brett, Mitch... Heck, Anyone thats been there for over 10 years will remember me. I brought the "FUN" in "CHUM". I was actually in the old office by the River. One afternoon for the 3Oclock Break IRan off the path, jumped into the water and Swam across the river....... Ahh the memories ;)

Throw out the name "OSCAR" and see if you get anything thrown back at ya ;) :p

HAHA.. I contracted out to them for several years. I do CADD work. I've tried many different things in between then and now I'm back to Design work in CADD just down the road with FORSGREN as an employee since Jan 1st of this year

I know Betsy, Lisa, Scott, Brett, Mitch... Heck, Anyone thats been there for over 10 years will remember me. I brought the "FUN" in "CHUM". I was actually in the old office by the River. One afternoon for the 3Oclock Break IRan off the path, jumped into the water and Swam across the river....... Ahh the memories ;)

Throw out the name "OSCAR" and see if you get anything thrown back at ya ;) :p
Know them all and Mitch usually hunts with us if he can get his chit together and gathered up plus get his work done. He is pretty low key about hunting and drives my little brother nuts who ramrods our hunt group. I came on board as an employee October 2001 and previous to that was a contract employee for 6 years for them so have seen a lot of people come and go. Were you ever down in the Copy Center at the old Clear Water building?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back