Pronghorn inquiry WY

mtmiller

Apparently the WY deer/lope apps are due in a few weeks and I haven’t gotten off my ass yet to decide which unit to put in for. I am sitting on max points and have just been buying the points so far. I would probably just put in for a point again this year since I will be in BC for goats this fall and I am sure I will draw my moose and bighorn this year in MT,;) but some cheesed*ck thought we should try a Wyoming hunt this year. I don’t want to stumble around with him looking for deer, so that leaves lopes.:rolleyes:

I have hunted deer a couple times in WY, but never pronghorn, so I am open for any recommendations (including thoughts from that yea-hoo currently residing in AK). Cheeselick is also sitting on max points and we were thinking if a couple other guys may be interested we could do a camp with 3 or 4 guys if the hunting area provided enough areas for us to break out in different directions if someone wished, i.e. I am a prick and lickbag smells. It might be kind of fun if a few of got together for a fun hunt trip. Neither lick nor I are looking for booners, more interested in seeing some quality animals in areas not overrun with other hunters.

I would appreciate any input from the gallery. I know including Schmalts on the hunt will not help my cause, but I will promise to blindfold him. However, I doubt that will be necessary since he gets lost going to the bathroom and will only get the application filled out correctly if someone else does it for him.

Okay....Eastmans again. I read the Pronghorn book. Two thumbs up.

I even made several notes in margins of the book to refer back to as prepare to go on next hunt. Some filler in the book such as state application info but I picked up several tidbits.

Not sure if the casual pronghorn hunter would enjoy it as much as me since I have chased these critters around 4 states in recent years but I can not find any other books that really cover pronghorns.

mtmiller,
I heard CO is better for antelope. I'm sure Oak could point you in the right direction :D

Are you guys looking for "trophy" goats or what?? Almost any area in the the western part could produce a book goat.

Lopehunter,

Did you learn how to "rack bracket" an antelope...?

How was the chapter on finding a good antelope lease?

Actually I have "max" points for goats also.

Can't say that I have any particular knowledge of any special unit. I'm sure they are all better than what I have hunted in Idaho. I am also interested in a lack of hunters and "the hunt". I don't think I have my rack bracketing perfected to the point where I can tell if its 79" or 81".

Good questions. I do not recall anything on leasing.

I read the book in a couple of hours on a flight in early January. I skipped over several pages that were about application tips. I jotted several notes in the margin as I read and is now sitting on my book shelf. I will review my notes as get ready to head out on next pronghorn hunt. I sometimes rip out magazine articles and toss in a folder called "pronghorn" to review as get ready to apply or go on a hunt. I think there is a DVD with the book but did not look at that.

One thing that stuck in my mind was the info on behavior of pronghorn at various times of the year. No pronghorn near me so that was new info for me. Some nice color pics in the book.

I am a huge proponent of introducing kids to big game hunting through pronghorn hunts. Tags can be easy to get, you see lots of animals and usually have plenty of time for the kid to get set up for the shot. The difference in horn size on bucks that are an average pronghorn vs. B&C class is not that noticable so a kid will usually be thrilled with the horns even if the horns are smallish. The book is something most 12 year olds could digest as part of the prep before the hunt. Kids reading books. A good thing.

Lopehunter,

Did you learn how to "rack bracket" an antelope...?

How was the chapter on finding a good antelope lease?

Lets see...not sure the casual hunter would like the book...but also good for 12 year olds???

Ol' Mikey really covers it all in that book!

A real fun hunt is the handgun/muzzel loader hunt in August. There is great fly fishing on the sweetwater to. If you are inerested pm olefish.

I just finished reading the book as well, not bad reading & the DVD wasn't to bad either. 57 or 60 would be my first choice, it's a tuff draw but if you get a tag you shouldn't have a lot of hunting pressure, maybe 47 for your 2nd choice. I hunted 47 a few years ago, lot's of antelope & if you wait a week or so after the season starts you won't have near as many hunters in the field.

Miller, I tried to get AZ402 to tag along but he said he would not be able to stop sexually harassing you all the time.

Did you guys pick a spot for us to put in for yet? With your max points and my zero we should put in together and enjoy a good hunt. :)

Did you guys pick a spot for us to put in for yet? With your max points and my zero we should put in together and enjoy a good hunt. :)

Wait your turn bitch... Miller has terrible taste in hunting partners, look who he is going with already!

Wait your turn bitch... Miller has terrible taste in hunting partners, look who he is going with already!
I'll have to agree on the chitty hunting partner part. Miller maybe you should ditch the easterner and go with some western guys that you won't have to worry about all the ass grabbings and late night spoonings. :rolleyes:

I'll have to agree on the chitty hunting partner part. Miller maybe you should ditch the easterner and go with some western guys that you won't have to worry about all the ass grabbings and late night spoonings. :rolleyes:

Miller isn't a good spoon candidate, too big of a size difference:p
We look like we mat be narrowed down to a unit. When you get back from your orxy hunt we will fill you in. If you apply with someone to get you up to 1 point in the special drawing it would probably be 100 percent draw. I would apply with you but too cheap to pop for the speacial draw. We can discuss details after your hunt. If Fin strikes out on Elk tags in WY he will probably join us.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back