Caribou Gear

OK you camera pros I need some help

Delw

I am looking for a digital camera , preferable a SLR

I been looking at nikons lately the d80 but I don't want to spend that much if I don't have to. 3 lens kits with everything goes for about 1100 on ebay.

I need camera for close up detail work for my shop, Need to be able to take quality pictures of molds and baits etc. thats the main purpose.
the other purpose is for outdoor shots , ie fishing and hunting stuff.

so give me some ideas on a really good SLR digital camera with the option of a 300mm lens for outdoors.

will the d50 nikon work just as well as the d80? I know the d80 has 10 mega pixels

what about olympus or cannon slr's ?
Where can I find a good deal besides EBAY or is ebay the way to go.
anyone else know of any cheaper kits then the d80's thats all I seem to find anymore on ebay.

Del,
I have the Canon Digital Rebel XT and I love it. It was just replaced by the Rebel XTi, and it is even better (10mp vs. 8.1mp). The Canon has lots of 3rd party suppliers who make the EF lenses that allows for a huge selection, depending on your needs.

The cool thing with the big resolution cameras is you can take most close up pictures, and you can still crop them with software to get rid of the excess and blow them up even more.

If you want, I can send you some links to some photo albums I have online that show the quality of the camera.

The best place, iMHO, to buy them is Costco. They are generally about as cheap as you can find them PLUS, if you have any problems, they return stuff so much easier than any of the yahoos on ebay or the mailorder places. Here is the Canon XTi at Costco for $799 including lens http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11180829&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=. The standard lens is a great place to start until you figure out what else you want.

I know they have the Canon, and I have seen the Nikon in there.

If you want to go mail order, I have had good success with these guys,
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

But, again, Costco is generally easier if they have you want.

I have the Canon Digital Rebel XT and I love it.

I do too. It's KICK ASS. There are alot of good cameras outthere I'm sure, butthis ones Easy to use and is leaps and bounds better then anything I've ever owned.

Del, there's an ad from the sponsor of the photography section over on that other website advertising that camera Jose recommended for $610, to members only. Looks like your 300mm lens would be expensive, though. Many folks have done business though them over there and have had nothing but good things to say.

http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID21/2211.html

I think the last price I saw on the XT at Costco was $599. The XTi is probably the better way to go since it is the current model and in production.

I went with the D80 over the XTi, but I'm not sure why... I do know that it's pretty slick and I'm still just trying to figure out what it can do.

Heres a few I was looking at on ebay, they come with all the lens and everything

Canon Rebel XTi SLR Camera MONSTER KIT 4 LENS FLASH 4GB for similar kits prices range from $1068 - $1378

Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi 400D Camera PKG+3 Lens +1GB start around $900

Nikon D50 Digital SLR Digital Camera w/ Nikon 18-55mm Nikkor Zoom Lens & 1GB Accessory Package!

Nikon D40 Digital SLR Camera w/ 3 PRO LENS +2GB +FLASH

Nikon D80 Digital SLR Camera w/NIKON LENSES +4GB +FLAS

NEW Nikon D70s D70 S Digital SLR Camera +3 LENS 1GB KIT

some kits come with factory lens and some have subsitute lens. on regular slr cameras I have used all the lens like tamron and sigma and they are very nice and I Have never had problems. always crisp and clear.
How ever when it comes to digitals I have no clue as they have auto focusing and other features.

I know I can get them cheaper with just one lens from a local store but for a few hundred more you get an entire set and alot of other BS that I dont really need( except the hard case is nice.)

Buy Only Usa

what ever you do, make sure you buy from a good reputable dealer, especially if youre on ebay. those too good to be true deals ARE too good to be true.

Make sure you know what youre getting. some of those ebay deals strip the package or sell you a non USA product!

Yeah I know all about ebay. and fake stuff.

The only thing I care about is teh camera, lens and the memchip, the rest I can care less lol

looks like J&L cameras are good and a few others,
anyone every buy from any of these camara places on ebay before?

I wouldn't buy anywhere but ebay. Nowhere else can you get prices even close to what you can get on ebay. I just bought a new in box Panasonic Lumix FZ5 for $225 on ebay, but it wasn't from a dealer, just a private seller. I did buy an Olympus digital camera a few years ago from one of those New York dealers, but I don't remember the name.

Del, Look at the Fuji S9000 before you buy a camera. I have one with a 8mb micro drive that takes great photos..

:cool:

Dan is it a slr?

Wh theres alot of ny dealers on ebay, kinda makes you wonder doesnt it lol
Delw

Yes Del, it is an SLR. A digital SLR. 9.3 megapixel resolution. The only down side is that it is a fixed `10X optical/3X digital zoom lense. As both micro and macro capability with 6 different image size capabililty. Using the 8G micro drive, it will hold 8700 images at 840x680. It also takes Fuji mem sticks, which are available up to 2.5G.

Try this: http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=201959811&loc=33409&sp=1&queryType=digcam

:cool:

I am no expert on cameras. 'final is the guy to talk to, as he "is" an expert. I would pm him or give him a phone call for specific info.

My son has one of the Canon EOS models I think it is the 5d. He has a 70-300 zoom lens and it accepts the lenses from his Canon film camera also. He has taken some really great pictures with it.

I was always an Olympus fan for film cameras and I own an Olympus point and shoot digital camera that takes great shots and it's waterproof to 10 ft and shockproof too. Great to take along hunting or fishing.

If you want an SLR I think the Canon or Nikon will be hard to beat. Product photography can be tricky and SLR is a better choice because you can adjust more for lighting, exposure and mutiple flash units.

If I remember correctly my son got his on ebay and that worked out ok. It even had some rebates available on it.

I would wonder how much of a discount one would have to get from "Ebay" to make it worth the risk and hassle of not buying it from Costco. I am betting the price diff isn't that much.

The stuff in the kits "Camera Bag, Extra Memory, Lens, Lens Cleaning Kit, Memory Reader, Tripod " isn't worth too much.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back