New pack?

Bambistew

So I'm in the planing stage for next fall. (aren't we all?)

I'm pretty sure that a HC elk/deer muzzy hunt is in the works again. I've pretty much upgraded all my gear or will have by next fall. The one thing that I'm still lacking is a new pack. My old one worked, but I'm not sure it would have been much fun to pack more than I did on the last trip. I'd love to have no spending limit, but.... just go an email from a friend in Africa and he's possibly going to start offering big 5 hunts, so I have to save pennies where I can. :D

Anyway, with christmas coming up I can probalby talk someone into buying me a new pack, so in your opinion what's the best pack I can get for say $300ish? I'd like to get internal, but if there is a frame pack that is better I'm all ears. I'm kind of a rookie when it comes to backpacking gear. I'm not affraid to buy used if I can find a good deal. The pack has to be big enough for week long trips, and packing elk quarters. I'm 210lbs and 6'2" so fit may also be a concern? I know some of you sawed off bastards rave about this and that, but for us normal sized men, some of that gear just won't cut it. LOL

"us normal sized men"...LMAO....amen brutha

..buy one of Moosie's extra ones.

Alright, I am just normal sized at 5'7"/165#, but this pack works for me. It is not the most comfortable with 90-100# in it, but I like the option to use it as a compressed day pack w/ gun scabbard and then be able to haul out an entire boned out deer without heading back to camp first. I have the JustOne-04, but have heard the -05 has some improvements. Other than that, I can't say it is better or worse than others out there since I haven't tried most. I am sure Buzz/GHorn will have more experience with multiple packs (I just can't afford theirs).

http://eberlestock.com/Backpack Master.htm

I am sure there are better packs out there (Kifaru/MR), but this one fit my wallet limits best.

Good luck finding a pack you freak of nature.:D

I have the Just One-04 also and like it a lot--I also have the Badlands 4500 and it's not bad either, but the Just One gun scabbard is a bonus IMO---and as MT Miller states: Kifaru's stuff gets high marks from a lot of guys----chris

Save more money or sell something and buy a Mystery Ranch NICE frame, with 6500 bag and the crewcab bag. It's the cat's ass. I sold 2 backpacks and spent $200 to upgrade. You won't regret doing that.

I have the Eberlestock J105 and used it for the first time this hunting season. I really liked having the gun scabbard, especially my first hunting trip of the year when I had forgotten to put the sling on my rifle. Got by just fine without the sling as I carried the rifle in the scabbard on the 3 mile hike in, and out, and while actually hunting I didn't really need the sling. I didn't have the opportunity to use it in packing an elk out this year, but I did pack out 1/2 a deer, twice. Worked out great for that. There may be better options out there but being that I'm not really a hard core backpacker like some others on here, it works for me. Plus it was only about $260.

I have nothing to bad to say about the badlands pack. You all may make fun of me for this but I found a no name pack in Mossy oak on ebay for 65 bucks and it has held better than some of my friends expensive ones. In fact my friend had a badlands pack strap break, and my cheap on lasted all season, and I beat the tar out of it.

Badland packs.. okay, I'll say it. I have one of the mid-2000 ci packs and used it for 2 seasons, just for archery hunting. Carried it during the day while hunting, not while carrying a camp in or meat out. Talk about non-durable. Yeah, they have a warrenty where they will sew/fix anything that goes wrong. I had to send it in and have a hole sewn up, but that didn't replace a ditty bag full of stuff that fell out while hunting. Thankfully I noticed it when my digital camera fell out. I can't imagine carrying meat out or anything somewhat heavy or awkward with a pack like that. They look cool and are soft plushy camo, but talk about crap, just like most of the packs out there these days. I suppose if that's the best pack you've carried, you might not realize how much better a good pack can be. I like to be nice to my back knees, ankles, stuff like that.. It's like the guys looking through decent Pentax binos, saying how it's just not that much different that the Swarovski ELs.

As Green says, do it right the 1st time. Spend the coin for a top notch pack. In the long run, you'll be money ahead.

I have a Kifaru LongHunter Rondy and it's top notch. I'd recommend it to anyone. I've had it 4 years and have put a bunch of miles on hauling gear and all kinds of dead stuff. I'm 6'4" 215 lbs. It'll fit you.

I've heard the Mystery Ranch are as good or better.

Speaking of Badlands... I have a 2200 for sale. :D Talk about the dumbest design I've ever seen... That fuggn flap that goes all the way around the out side, and you cant get into the fugger unless you unbuckel the front bat wings and then pry the fugger open, not to mention try and get the zippers to zip around the corners (where the stays are) because there is not enough material there. Really sucks when its full! Every one of the zipper pulls pulled off too. Had to squish em down with vise grips.

If I spend that kind of money that will mean I'll have to go on more backpack hunts. :D Maybe I can talk 'santa' into getting me the nice frame, and I'll work on the other components through out the rest of the year.

From what I can gather I'm going to have to drop $400 to get something decent, might as well drop another $150+/- and have the best I guess.

The Just One does intrigue me though. The thing that I find kind of 'funny' about them is the fact that you have a 4" 'pouch' between you and your load. Seems like the weight will be pulling away from you as opposed to being sucked up to your back. OTOH I think they would be a great pack for day hunts when you could save yourself a meat trip and then bring in your heavy pack for the rest.

Greeny or anyone else with one of the MR's how is the material for the packbags as far as quiteness, waterproofness, etc.? I heard/read somewhere where a person was not happy with the noise it made in the brush. Any reason to recomend both the 6500 and Crew Cab bags?

I'm more than happy with my Kifaru Longhunter Guide. However, after looking at Buzz's MR pack like Greenhorn described I'd go that way if starting new. I like the increased modularity of the system. That said, I'm pretty content right now with my Kifaru. Packs and boots are two things that I will refuse to scrimp on from here on out.

Greenhorn- My Pentax are pretty nice... ;)

I'm interested too... I need a new Back pack.... :D :D

I think I bought 2 new ones this year. I like the one i took Sheep hunting with Tbone this year. I just didn't like the Fat guy carrying the pack. It was the Cabelas Outfitter something or other. I have the "Just One". Glen lives here in Town (The guy that makes them). He's a Kick ASS guy. That being said I didn't liek the load distribution of the Internal pack. The Scabord was great though. I actually brought that pack up to AK with me this year on Kodiak. For little stuff like that I love it.

I like the Seat on the Kifaru that T-bone has. It is nice on a sheep hunt for glassing. Not a fan of the Kifaru tents though. I like tents with floors in them !!!

Santa was sitting on my lap last night, and I mentioned that I would like to get a new backpack for Christmas... I think I'm "in"... LOL hump

Bambistew said:
Santa was sitting on my lap last night, and I mentioned that I would like to get a new backpack for Christmas... I think I'm "in"... LOL hump

You gave 'santa' some wine didn't you?:D

Hey there buddy. I of course have a frame pack from Barneys in Anchorage which is the shnizzle. The actual pack that I have is called the pinnacle which is 7200 ci, but they have the moose pack, etc which is a bit smaller. These are both camo and made of cordura. They have a couple of weights. They also have an ultralight one as well that is black. Either one...I may be able to get you a decent deal, but they are still pretty spendy. I think that I will be able to pass this thing onto the kids. After chasing sheep, bear, and packing more than a moose out in it, she is still like new.

I have tried on and liked the Osprey packs. For an internal they seem like really nice.

I thing that good money spent on a pack will pay in the long run, especially for a pack that can haul meat. I carried whole moose shoulders and was pretty comfortable, and you know that I am no hulk.

Heres my story. I was in the market as well. I talked to greenhorn and Buzz before i was convinced to by a MR pack. I didnt want to spend as much as they did so i got the frame, load carrier, and crew cab. I used the load carrier to rig up my Cabalas alaskan bag to it for my CO muzz hunt and it was O.K. I used the crew cab on my MT hunt as a daypack and it was frigging awsome! got the whole deer out the 3 mile walk in one trip. wasnt a big body deer but it was a comfortable pack, and i had room for more. The pictures of the crewcab do no justice. this thing has a load carrier built right into it.
also, you can use the old ALICE packs with the frame. They are weird the way they load wide and away from you body but they will work with that frame.
so, my advice is to get the frame and crewcab, that is under 400$ and compromise on the bigger bag, or wait on the bigger bag, or try a large alice bag, thery are cheaper than dirt.

Schmalts, how is the MR material as far as quietness goes? Do you think the crew cab bag could be used for packing in a small spike camp?

I did all my bowhunting with the MR pack this year. Quietness in a pack is about as important as quietness in your binoculars.

Back