Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

trip to Canada. Need Help!

crapshoot

Im going to Alberta the end of Septemberfor 2 weeks. I'll be going up to visit some friends andf do a little hunting. Here is where my question lies. Whats the best way to get my hides and meat home. Hopefully I'll be bringing home 2 blackies , a white tail, some coyotes , and if I get lucky a Wolf or two. ( I know, Im dreaming. ) My friends have suggested cut , wrap , and freeze every thing and pack it in coolers and pay the extra baggage fees. They Dont know of any packers near by and the last time they shipped a green coyote hide stateside , it toured the states twice and was never delivered. This is my first out of country hunt and just want things to go smoothly. Give me a hand here fellas.

One of the things I have heard you could do if you have a pickup is to take styrofoam sheets and set them up as a box in the back, you can add dry ice or regular ice as needed to keep every thing cool....

I'll be flying into Calgary. Hunting some a little east of there (dont remember the name where my friend lives) and then most of the time will be 9 hrs north. Peace River. But all flights will be in and out of Calgary. How about any sites with regulations reguarding transport of meat , hides and skulls into the US.

Hope you realize you need to hunt with an outfitter in Canada eh? Your outfitter should have some good answers for you about getting your meat and cape home. Most people have it processed in Canada and then shipped via cold storage by some of the bigger shipping companies. There are huge rules in effect because of the BSE bull$hit that you'll need to know about too. Not as simple as throwing it in a cooler and bringing it home.

Whos the guiding outfit you're going to be hunting with ???????

With their experience, they will definatly know how to help you get their cape and meat home!!!

crapshoot.....Here is a contact in Calgary who can probably get you started on some of the answers to your questions.

Bruin Taxidermy: 252 Penbrooke Close SE, Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2A 3P1 / Tel: 403.273.3577
[email protected]

These people also ship meat all over the country, they may be able to put you in touch with a good shipper:

HORIZON MEATS LTD. (turkey, Merriam's wild turkey)
#1 3610 - 29 Street N.E.
Calgary, Alberta T1Y 5Z7
phone (403) 291-0595

I just looked into this a few months ago. These are the rules for Alberta, I want to go up for trophy Whitetails and waterfowl.

A non-resident and non-resident alien hunters may be hosted by a Hunter Host (see below) - usually a relative or friend - and hunt according to the following restrictions and conditions:
-Non-resident Aliens may hunt with a Hunter Host only if they have not done so in the previous two (2) fiscal years (April 1 - March 31).
-Non-residents (Canadian) and Non-resident Aliens are limited to certain licences as indicated in the Licence Availability section under Licensing and Costs.
-Non-resident Aliens hosted by Hunter Hosts may hunt big game only during seasons that do not require one of the special licences, obtained through a draw, indicated by a in the Big Games Seasons (WMUs) section or listed under Additional Special Licence Draw Hunts.
-A Non-resident Alien and his or her intended Hunter Host must apply at a Fish and Wildlife Division office for their licences and make a statutory declaration that he or she understands the terms and conditions of the licences (Scroll down to view Hunter Host Licence).
-A Non-resident Alien must not hunt bighorn sheep, cougar or trophy antelope while accompanied by a Hunter Host.
-Further Restrictions for Non-resident Aliens Who are Not Relatives of the Hunter Host or the Hunter Host's Spouse
-Relatives are defined as father, brother, son, uncle, nephew, grandfather, grandson, son-in-law, brother-in-law (and female equivalents) of the Hunter Host or spouse of the Hunter Host.
T-he Non-resident Alien and intended Hunter Host, if not related, must initiate an application at a Fish and Wildlife Division office for their licences, described above, by August 31 of the licence year, or by the following February 28 for the spring black bear hunt.
-The Non-resident Alien may apply to hunt only two (2) species of big game.

A Hunter Host

-Must be an adult resident.
-Must be the holder of a valid Hunter Host Licence (below).
may not provide services for gain or reward, or accept remuneration, directly or indirectly, for such services.
-may host a maximum of two (2) hunters/year, either Non-residents (Canadian), Non-resident Aliens or a combination thereof. If hosting 2 Non-resident Aliens, at least 1 must be a relative.
-may host Non-resident Aliens only if the host has not hosted a Non-resident Alien in the previous two (2) fiscal years (April 1 to March 31).
-must report to the Fish and Wildlife Divison by December 31 in the year of harvest, all animals killed by the Non-resident Aliens he or she hosted.
-must accompany the hunter(s) named on his or her Hunter Host Licence while they are hunting big game under the authority of the Hunter Host Licence.

Hunter Host Licence

A resident who wishes to be a Hunter Host may purchase a Hunter Host Licence at any private licence issuer. You must have the WIN(s) of the non-resident(s) at the time of purchase. You must ensure that the hunters you host are named on your Hunter Host Licence. If you purchase your Hunter Host licence naming one hunter and you decide to add a second hunter to your licence at a later date, you can do so at no additional charge. Return to a private licence issuer with your licence and have it amended. Once you have purchased your Hunter Host Licence, the hunters may purchase their licences.

A Hunter Host who plans to take a non-resident alien hunting must do the following:

Go to a Fish and Wildlife Division office and initiate an application (including statutory declaration). Sign it and have your signature sworn. If your Non-resident Alien is not a relative, you must start this process by August 31 or February 28 as described above.
Have the Non-resident Alien sign the application and have his or her signature sworn. (If the Non-resident Alien does not have a WIN, have him or her fill out a WIN application at the same time.)
Take the completed application to a Fish and Wildlife Division office. The application will be reviewed for final approval and keyed into the automated licensing system.
When you are notified that your application is approved, go to any private licence issuer and purchase your Hunter Host Licence (see above) and the appropriate Wildlife Certificate and licences.

Nemont

I actually didn't know that non-resident alien hunter hosts were allowed in ALTA, but hey, you learn something new every day.
Moosie, As for BC, sorry you're SOL. The only people we can hunter host is out of province Canadians. Non-resident aliens are OUTFITTER ONLY. That is unless you are a blood relative (ie mother, father, sister, brother). And ya, you can leave the remarks about my mother to yourself. :rolleyes:

Bighorn,
Stones are one species we can't hunter host even with out of province Canadians.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back