weaver grand slam scope/leupold vx II

noharleyyet

Considering a 3x10x50 grand slam or 3x9x50 vx II leupold. Would appreciate opinions/experiences regarding same.

thanks

noharleyyet

I don't think you will be able to tell the diffrence. I have a 3-9x40 GS that is very comparable to the Vari X 3 scope, which is now basically the VX2 line up.

Probably the one main diffrence between the two is the GS is a one piece tube as opposed to the 3 piece VX2...

Personally I don't think you can get more bang for your buck with the GS...

What calibers do you have your GS's on?? I'm putting this scope on a 270 wsm w/ about 18 lbs. of recoil. The GS 3x10x50 specs 3 inches of eye relief. Am assuming you find the relief on your rifles satisfactory. Think the vx II's have about 3.7...3/4" more essentially... hopefully shouldn't make much difference.

appreciate your feedback,

noharleyyet

I have mine mounted on a 260, my buddy has one mounted on a 7 mag and another has the same one you mentioned, mounted on a 8 mag... Neither one mentioned digging the scope out of their heads either. I know the one I have is twice the scope the VX1 is that I have... which I paid same price for no less!

I have had a couple Grand Slams and I own a mess of Leupolds as well. For the money the GS is hard to beat. I had my 3x10 GS on a 300 Win. Mag and never once did it kiss my eye. This was a fairly light weight rifle (Remington AWR). I believe if eye relief were going to be an issue I would've found out. I have also used a GS a lot on my 30.06, no problems. Now for the bottom line. I sold both GS's and went completely back to Leupold. I did so for two simple reasons. One I enjoy shooting a lot of long range these days and it's easy to have Leupold install target turrets for a minimal cost. To the best of my knowledge Weaver doesn't offer this. Two, Leupold just flat out has the best warranty in the business.

Appreciate the feedback. Agree with you re: Leupold warranty. Have several Leupolds and countless buds with them...no complaints. GS price looks good but I keep remembering the old adage about not scrimping on glass. 3x10x50 GS (289) ..3x9x50 vx II(349)...4x12x50 vx II (449)...vx II's come with rings free...making the Leu. 3x9 fairly compatible pricewise...

noharleyyet

Now that we are on the subjects of scopes can anybody tell me if this is true. I read somewhere that the 50mm objective is just a sales gimmick unless it is with a scope that has a bigger tube than the 1 inch. Reason is that the one inch tube will only gather so much light anyways and the 50mm has to much light to gather. I guess like a funnel with a big mouth will only allow the amount of flow that the tube will take. Do they make a scope in the 50mm objective that has a bigger body tube? Just thought I would ask and if this is the case noharleyyet you could safe some money by going with the 40mm objective and get the Leupold. Just a thought.

The size of the objective and coatings on the glass will have a bigger effect on light transmission than tube size. I'd be suprised if there was any noticable difference between 1" and 30mm tubes.

I'm just as confused about the big tubes as anyone...shot a friend's 4.5x14x50 w/ 30mm tube illuminated vxIII... high dollar scope, (to me at least) ...light conditions were good so I can't vouch for the light gathering capabilities but scope was VERY clear all the way to the edge of the sight picture...target and reticle contrast was as if you were standing right in front of the 100 yard target...no flare, no distortion...could read the small print on target paper. How the scope techs at Bear Basin have tried to explain to me concurs with 1 pointer's commments re: objective lens size, quality of tube glass, as well as quality of coatings on all lens surfaces. I have a Burris Sig Select in 3x10x40 which they told me is just as bright as Burris's Euro Diamonds (30 mm tube)...good glass but I still believe (if only psychologically) that my 50 mm Leupold vx III is brighter in the failing light when I need it most.
That being said, I'm still vexed on the Grand Slam but confident with the 50 mm objectives.
thanks , noharleyyet

I've had both--good viewing all the way to the edges on both--the grand slam may have had a slight edge on color transmission--can't beat the leupold warranty.

I bailed out on the 50s--I like to mount my scopes as low as possible and from what I can tell a good quality 40 (+) will transmit as much light.

Gundog, You notice any dealbreaking differences in eye relief? Can't find a GS to look through around here.

The VX-11 had more eye relief by about a half inch across the power range as I recall. That's a big difference if you're shooting a real big gun. They changed the specs on some GS models so I can't tell you much about the new ones.

The GS 50's show 3"...the 40's 3.3, I believe...vxII's are 3.8" in the 4x12x50 which is the model I'm strongly leaning toward for a 270 wsm...about 18+ lbs. recoil...
thanks for the info GD.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back