PEAX Equipment

QUAIL HELP

Elkhunter

Looking to find out how long to cook quail. I have been told they take a long time to cook. Do you cook them like a Cornish Game Hen? How long? What temp?

LOL Kraven.....Good answer.
Going to have pheasant instead

I usually just cook the breast, as there is not enough meat to bother with on the rest of a wild quail. I wrap 'em in bacon, brush some barbecue sauce on them and cook them on the grill - medium heat, 10 minutes or less per side - meat no longer pink and juices run clear when I stab 'em with a fork.

Or shred/cut 'em up and stir fry or cook with rice - it's good no mattter how you cook it!

I think the aging process is more important than to cooking.
I try to keep any game bird in the refrigerator for about 5 days prior to cooking. Try this.......fillet the breast of quail, chukar or any white meated fowl. Place in "ziploc" bag with roughly equal parts Bernsteins Italian dressing and mayonaise mix well by rolling bag and allow to marinate for a hour or so. Grill for 10 min per side + or -.

Went deer hunting this morning and it was 24 degrees, came home and there was a covey of quail at the entrance of my driveway...drove up to the house, got the Mossberg 9200, stuffed it with 3 #8's and drove back down the driveway, got out, flushed the birds, shot 3 times and got 2 of them. First time in 15 years that I have shot a quail, and its is still as much fun as I remember :D

I also do the grill thing Bill ;)

Back