Anyone chase prairie goats?

mtmiller

Anyone out there chase antelope with a bow? I tried it for the first time last year and had a good time. I used a decoy and shot over a nice buck at thirty yards. He came hard into the decoy, but when he saw me draw he hit the breaks and bounced off before stopping and giving me an easy shot (I choked big time).

The decoy worked well, but it was hard to hunt those guys when I was surrounded by bucks. One time I had a nice buck coming in when from just behind me another one had come in undetected. He stayed out about sixty yards and just snorted, and kept the other guy from coming in.

Unfortunately by the time the rut was in full swing I was focused on a muley I had found, so I never did get a goat. Next year I think I am going to try a water hole that I know some antelope, as well some nice muleys were using last season.

Anybody have some tips or good stories to share?

Antelope tags are similiar around here. I can put in the the rifle draw and take a chance, or can apply for archery which is an automatic draw. That is if you don't screw up on the application, but that is another story.

I've stuck to rifles for the 'lope. I should take it up, though, because we can buy archery tags over the counter but have to wait a few years to draw a rifle buck tag.

Oak

I have always wanted to try for one of those with a bow, but alas, it would be yet another out of state hunt. So many animals and so little money and time!!!!

I still think it would be one heckuva fun hunt :D

Snite, if you want to try an archery antelope hunt in nc Montana I could show you some good areas and put a roof over your head while you are hunting. The areas I hunt are public, but I have never seen another bow hunter.

That sounds cool!!

I would love to come up there and give it a try. I will check into the permits and fees. I won't be ableto do it this year, with the Texas hunt and the hog hunt, as well as the regular slug season here for deer I am tapped out of vacation time. I will look into it for next year though. Maybe I can work it out for then. My wife will kill me for using all my vacation to hunt again but what the heck she ought to be gettin used to it by now.

Thanks for the offer man!!

In AZ its hard to get drawn for one let alone 2 ...Since I got 2 real nice goats I am going to be putting in for archery also this year. would be a hoot to get one with a bow..We can get pretty close to them in the pines with in 20 yards, we have lots of them that hang out in the thick pines here. In the sage we have lots of rooling hills so sneaking up on one wouldnt be too much of a problem. it just takes patience..

Delw

mtmiller,

I just moved to MT in Dec. and want to learn more of the hunting opportunities here. Do you need a rifle tag state wide, or jsut certain areas, and how much are the license here?

Thanks,
Hudge

Oh yeah, I chase them all over the place with my ATV :eek: :eek: Boy can they run LOL
Just Kidding.
Steve bought me a pretty cool pop-up antelope decoy for our anniversary last year.
We got out to use it twice was all, but it was fun.We did have some luck with getting them to come into it but not close enough.
Maybe this year :D
We put in every year for a draw on bucks during the rifle season then the years we dont draw we buy over the counter archery tags.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 03-20-2002 13:41: Message edited by: Muledeer4me ]</font>

I haven't had the oppertunity to chase speed goats for the last couple of years. Three seasons ago I did. Crawled on my belly all day with nothing taller than a cow pie to hide behind. I stayed within forty yards from them for most of the time. But never quite got close enough for the shot. I to hunt them with the 900 archery permit. Maybe this year!!! Mtmiller, maybe I should come visit you around that time and see if I can catch one in the mean time.... :D :D :D

ELKCHSR-No I wasn't at the FWP meeting. I work for the BLM, so only occasionally meet with the State guys. However, I will be meeting with some of the guys next week to talk sage grouse.

Oh yeh, if you want to come out here the door is open. Like I told snite, I can put you up in my small house and show you some areas, but that is about extent of my expertise.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 03-21-2002 17:44: Message edited by: mtmiller ]</font>

That would be great!!! I'll chat later closer to the season, to get some thing in the works...

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back