Yeti GOBOX Collection

Yet another pack question.

Stubaby

I'm in Bozeman all the time for work. I've spent hours at MR dissecting packs. At one time I was set on the CC. Then it was the longbow. I now have the dough and am ready to pull the trigger on a new one. I gave an eberle j34 with all the duffles and stuff but we all know what happens once deer or elk parts start to get loaded in.

So, if you were ready to get a new pack this spring would it be longbow? Stone glacier? Kifaru? Is the solo by sg too big for a day pack? Most of what I do is day pack stuff. Keeping my stuff for the day with the ability to carry out animal parts back to the truck.

I thought for sure I was going to get a NICE with a longbow then get the 6500 if my ship ever came in and I could afford "real" hunts up north and stuff. Then I saw the stone glacier clip. Then I saw the metcalf pics. Now I'm just confused.

I know this topic gets beat to death but I am ready and don't want to regret the purchase 6 months from now. Any last minute pep talks before I go to Bozeman next time and just get cold feet and put the money toward a newer bow or something. Is the metcalf out? Last time I was at mr was a few weeks ago and the newest pack was the 3 zip overload.

Last edited:
Those are all great options obviously, I'd also recommend adding Oregon Pack Works to your list to check out though.

i have a longbow and love it...bombproof. that being said, if i was buying a pack today, i would probably choose the new metcalf over the longow. the stone glacier looks great too, but i have no experience with that. i am not a fan of the kifaru packs. i saw someone else post about oregon pack works, so i looked them up. honestly, they look pretty gimmicky to me... I think I would narrow it down to a Metcalf or an SG...

Most of what I do is day pack stuff. Keeping my stuff for the day with the ability to carry out animal parts back to the truck.

What about a bighorn or dragonslayer?

You lose some flexibility, but they still haul loads and you save a ton of money.

It might just be because of my size, but the NICE frame was really restrictive to me and felt like overkill, I couldn't imagine carrying one around for riverbottom hunts, shed hunting and half day hikes. The DS I ended up with is a lot narrower and lighter pack, I can still draw my bow with it on, and it doesn't get in the way of having a rifle slung on my shoulder.

I have no doubt it's not as good at hauling weight as the NICE frame, but it's supposed to handle an elk quarter no problem. Just another thought.

Last edited:
Go with the CC all the way. You will not be disapointed. I am sure the others you mentioned are fine packs. I can personnally attest that the CC is great. I hunt much the same way you do and I use the cc as my daypack, but still have the ability to haul our meat, capes and antlers. I have packed out 5 bulls since getting mine two years ago with no problems. I also have the 6500 for back pack hunts but I dont do as much of that anymore.

What about a bighorn or dragonslayer?

You lose some flexibility, but they still haul loads and you save a ton of money.

It might just be because of my size, but the NICE frame was really restrictive to me and felt like overkill, I couldn't imagine carrying one around for riverbottom hunts, shed hunting and half day hikes. The DS I ended up with is a lot narrower and lighter pack, I can still draw my bow with it on, and it doesn't get in the way of having a rifle slung on my shoulder.

I have no doubt it's not as good at hauling weight as the NICE frame, but it's supposed to handle an elk quarter no problem. Just another thought.

A bighorn will definitely carry an elk quarter. Mine quickly became my every day hunt pack after I got it and I really don't see that changing much. Like Randy, I do prefer the narrower on the back profile over my NICE frame. I do keep my 6500 in the truck for additional meat packing trips simply because the NICE frame is built a bit more stout for carrying heavy loads. About the only time I carry my crew cab anymore is shed hunting when I think I may run into some big elk antlers.

I found the Crew Cab akward to use. The 3 pocket layout just never seemed to work right for me. Maybe, I'm just used to a more tradtional layout.

If I bought another MR, it would be a Longbow or the new lightweight bag.

I have a lightweight metal pack frame with a load sling on it for going back to the kill site for round 2 if needed. I always keep that at camp or in the truck. Is there a way to carry meat in the non-NICE packs without it in with your gear? I like the idea of the longbow or cc where the meat gets cradled or pinched against the frame without having meat with my gear.

I have a lightweight metal pack frame with a load sling on it for going back to the kill site for round 2 if needed. I always keep that at camp or in the truck. Is there a way to carry meat in the non-NICE packs without it in with your gear? I like the idea of the longbow or cc where the meat gets cradled or pinched against the frame without having meat with my gear.

You can strap a lot of crap to the outside of them, but with meat you're going to want it in the main compartment. No spacer between the pack and frame.

Stubaby, I have been going thru the same research and trying to find "that" pack which I will carry every day, and yet still strap at least a quarter and more likely 2 boned quarters of elk to for the trip back to the truck. Best I can tell is it is the Stone Glacier Approach for me from my research, I have yet to nut up and order it. But everything I look through tells me this is the best option for my hunting.

I have the crew cab, and love it. It really comes down to what you want to get out of it. I wanted the 'do all' pack, and for me the CC is it. I use it for day hunts (cause I huck a lot of gear around and hear about it from my hunting buddies) - but I know if I get an animal down 5mi from the truck most of it is coming out with me where they are hiking back to the truck for a frame. I happen to like the 3 pocket design - as I don't care for the one big compartment where everything gets dumped in. Everything has its place and those side pockets are perfect for a scope and tripod. Heavy loads ride like a dream in this thing.

On my elk archery bivy hunt this year I would carry all my gear in the CC with the load cells and lid, and drop it in a likely sleeping spot, hang my food in a tree (one load cell), then detach the daypack lid with all my hunting gear and go hunt (usually with a mile or so).

My friend also has a CC and does backpack hunts in NM where there is no water. He drops a 7gal water container into the CC and carries it into the wilderness. Not many packs will give you these kind of options.

Its certainly not the lightest pack around, but it offers some serious flexibility and is a pretty good choice if you are in need of both a super solid daypack and a multi-day pack.

I switched from a MR CC this year to a stone glacier pack and love it. I found the solo bag to be the perfect size for 90 percent of what I do. Can haul plenty of gear for a few days. Yet still can pack down to about the size of a tall NICE frame with no bag on it. Also a big plus is the weight, first time I picked one up I was convinced it didn't have a frame because it was just so light. Still carries weight likes champ though!

I switched from a MR CC this year to a stone glacier pack and love it. I found the solo bag to be the perfect size for 90 percent of what I do. Can haul plenty of gear for a few days. Yet still can pack down to about the size of a tall NICE frame with no bag on it. Also a big plus is the weight, first time I picked one up I was convinced it didn't have a frame because it was just so light. Still carries weight likes champ though!

+1 on Stone Glacier, I have the Terminus and love it.

+1 on Stone Glacier, I have the Terminus and love it.

Agreed on the Terminus over the Solo. Being as they both compact down to nothing, I fail to see any benefit over going with the smaller pack especially if you have an extended backcountry trip in your future.

I have a BigHorn and Grizzly. For a day pack the BigHorn would work great. It gives you enough room for a warm weather overnighter. Another good thing about the BigHorn is its just tall enough for the load lifters to work.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back