Wyoming Trophy Question

bjochem

Taking my girlfriend and some of her family to WY this year for antelope and in the process of reading the regs for that cane across the rules about heads on deer and elk. Being in the point game for both and someday hoping to bring 1 home for a euro mount, how does one go about it? You bring stuff along to boil the skull? Or just give it up to a local taxidermist and save the time and trouble? Then the question would be how do you get it back to WI without driving all the way back. I'm sure there are a bunch of you good hunters on here that have dealt with this so just looking for info as I am really curious on the logistics. Thanks in advance.

I know guys that use a pressure washer, carwash to clean their skulls before transport. You might talk with your taxidermist as some from other states do not like to take in CWD area skulls.

Carefully. You will also have to comply with the regulations from each state you travel though. Some make travel distinctions and others do not in regards to the transport of the head.

Just about anybody can do a Euro. If you are going to pay a local Taxidermist, then I'd think about just having someone in Wyoming do it and ship it to you. Shipping on UPS really isn't that much. Box won't be oversized and it will be packed well...

It is different when we are talking about an elk though. Scramble brain with a wire coat hanger and hose it out. There are videos on Youtube if you need instruction.

As for meat, Bone out the loin and tenderloin, pop off the hips, and shoulders. Bone the ribs or saw off along the backbone, and leave the spine. Should all fit in a 70 Qt cooler. Freeze and pack with 10# of Dry ice.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back