Wyoming general elk tag units

Andrewlonghi

I'm looking at two units in Wyoming that have high grizzly #'s and i have zero experience with them. Really want to bow hunt but leaning towards going with a gun because of the grizzlies. Are they more active during the archery season vs gun season or generally all the time? I've read lots and lots of info on how/ what to do with my camp, food, and meat if I harvest a elk. I will have bear spray and a sidearm. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking at two units in Wyoming that have high grizzly #'s and i have zero experience with them. Really want to bow hunt but leaning towards going with a gun because of the grizzlies. Are they more active during the archery season vs gun season or generally all the time? I've read lots and lots of info on how/ what to do with my camp, food, and meat if I harvest a elk. I will have bear spray and a sidearm. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.
A good friend of mine offered a bow hunting client he was guiding some solid advice when they got close to a grumpy griz, "get your bear spray out and take your beating like a man.".

Hunt with a buddy who can handle his shit if you're worried about griz. Those things are other worldy fast and basically invisible in the brush.

They will be active during both seasons, so hunt whichever one you want.

You’re more likely to die from a car crash driving to your hunt then running into a grizzly encounter. Just be smart and cautious. I’m always amazed how grizzly bears are never talked about on Alaska hunts but are a big deal around yellowstone and in the bob.

Elite, having spent a good amount of time hunting in both wy and the far north you will notice a Big difference in the way lower 48 bears behave. If those northern bears pull that crap they end up front and center in a grip and grin. These greater Yellowstone rascals feel entitled.

Appreciate the info, have any of yall had your elk meat taken or messed with while it was hanging In a tree. How far away from your camp sight do u hang it? What about while calling for elk will they come in for a chance at a meal or avoid

You’re more likely to die from a car crash driving to your hunt then running into a grizzly encounter. Just be smart and cautious. I’m always amazed how grizzly bears are never talked about on Alaska hunts but are a big deal around yellowstone and in the bob.
I think salmon/berries are the differentiating factor in Alaska. I definitely will be more cautious around lower 48 bears than I will AK bears.

Spent 5 years guiding in the Bob for elk and deer and had LOTS of run ins with those pesky things. Never ended up climbing a tree but definitely had to pull out the pistol and bear spray a few times. As long as you treat them with respect and don’t get lazy and sloppy with food, you’ll most likely be just fine. Seems like most of the worrying happens before the hunt but once out there, atleast for me, you don’t tend to worry to much about them cause your more caught up in hunting and enjoying the beautiful country. Good luck and have fun!!!

I think a much more important way to approach this issue is to ask yourself if you are mentally, physically, and tactically ready/prepared for the worst case. Everybody will confirm that odds of a problem are low. Better chance at a lightning strike, etc. But if you are unprepared and scared (not judging) then perhaps grizzly country should not be your 1st option. Anything told you on an internet forum won’t change what actually happens in the woods when you get there. Best to actually go with someone who is experienced there, guide or other contact, or consider not at all. I choose to keep my DIY forest hunting out of grizzly areas though I’ve fished, hiked, and camped in Yellowstone and GYE area a few times for sure (with no problems). But hunting elsewhere works better for me on several levels, mainly mental and overall enjoyment. One less thing to worry over from my perspective.

Last edited:
I think a much more important way to approach this issue is to ask yourself if you are mentally, physically, and tactically ready/prepared for the worst case. Everybody will confirm that odds of a problem are low. Better chance at a lightning strike, etc. But if you are unprepared and scared (not judging) then perhaps grizzly country should not be your 1st option. There is little you will solve in those woods from anything told you on an internet forum. Best to actually go with someone who is experienced there, guide or other contact, or consider not at all. I choose to keep my DIY forest hunting out of grizzly areas though I’ve fished and camped in Yellowstone a few times for sure. Just works better for me on several levels, but mainly mental and overall enjoyment. One less thing to worry over from my perspective.

I wouldn't say scared or unprepared just want some Intel as this will be are first trip to Wyoming elk hunting. Live in Florida my whole life worst we have to deal with is a few snakes, gators, and black bears which are in no way comparable to a grizzly in my book. But probably like must people in Wyoming I deal with these year a round but have respect for all

Appreciate the info, have any of yall had your elk meat taken or messed with while it was hanging In a tree. How far away from your camp sight do u hang it? What about while calling for elk will they come in for a chance at a meal or avoid
After the shot is usually where problems occur, its almost guaranteed a bear will be on your carcass after you break it down so try to avoid having to go back to that area and hang meat as far away from kill site as possible. Usually once hung in tree its safe but problem is getting it into a proper tree. You will be surprised to find out there are not many "good" trees to hang meat let alone find one where appropiate or convenient. Getting those bags 10+ feet off ground other than at dedicated meat poles is much harder to do than you think. If you camp in back country keep a clean camp this will help but no matter what you will have bears in/around your camp you just will likely never know it. Honestly most people who get attacked are experienced in bear woods and many of there stories go same including none of them ever say we had time to prepare or seen bear coming. If you worried about it its likely best just to choose a different area cause that also can ruin the hunt.

Hey Andrewlonghi when I said unprepared and scared I wasn’t accusing you or anything. That’s only saying to consider if you feel that way about yourself to any degree, you don’t have to answer to me or anyone. I am not well prepared for that style of hunting and I kinda might be scared (at least initially) and have no problem saying so. It’s way from my norm, I’m from NJ and already here have had problem encounters here with 2 “predatory” black bears (out of other hundreds). But as your 1st WY hunt, and 1st hunt in grizzly areas, do ask yourself how that question sits. It’s a lot to take on that area, coming from very different conditions and low elevations of Florida, and grizzlies not only require respect (they do) but also an awareness that, if they choose to make your day go south - and one might - respect only gets you so far.

Biggest thing I have learned about hunting around bears other than all the great advice shared.

Is to add 45mins to 1hr to ever task you have done in the woods before. Simply making dinner is a chore, getting up in the morning getting your food for the day re hanging it etc etc. Plan on ALOT of extra time spent keeping a clean camp. Easy to do days 1-3 after that it gets hard and that is when issues happen.

Biggest thing I have learned about hunting around bears other than all the great advice shared.

Is to add 45mins to 1hr to ever task you have done in the woods before. Simply making dinner is a chore, getting up in the morning getting your food for the day re hanging it etc etc. Plan on ALOT of extra time spent keeping a clean camp. Easy to do days 1-3 after that it gets hard and that is when issues happen.
I agree, and keep a clean camp. No deodorant, no tooth paste, nothing they might eat in your camp, hang everything. Never have your firearm or spray out of reach. I packed my rifle even just going to the creek to filter water. Prepare food and eat away from your camp as well.

Pound of prevention and all that...

I spent 4-5 yrs living and doing fisheries work in the NW corner of WY where bear densities are very high. We didn't have an encounter in those years while seeing fresh sign basically every day.

1. Keep a clean camp. Nothing with smells ever in your tent, period. I also piss around my tent. Beware, this can attract deer, etc. I've been terrified of a mtn goat licking up my piss in the middle of the night outside my tent. But, I think it makes a difference with predators.
2. If we cooked, it was away from where we slept. Best case is MTN house type stuff, much less aromatic than cooking food.
3. Hang food at least 100 yds from camp. I also piss around the bear hang.
4. Know what areas bears are using. They use riparian areas as travel corridors, you could try to avoid them around dusk or daylight.
5. If you kill an animal, pay attention while cleaning it. If you have to leave an animal over night, we always leave a sweaty base layer and piss all around the meat. Separate the meat from the body/guts, leaving it in an open area you can approach and see any bear activity. DO NOT drag anything you are leaving overnight. Dragging things increases the likelihood a bear will come across the scent exponentially.
6. If possible, make noise. If you are packing out, I would be yelling "Hey Bear" with regularity.
7. Just pay attention in general. Look for movement, smells, wind direction etc. I'm always amazed by how many people we see in the woods that have no idea of our presence until I announce it. I'm talking close range, less than 50 yards.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back