Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Wyoming 2011 DIY

Nothing wrong with that bull...stop whining. ;)

I am starting to make peace with it, I do not want the elk gods angry at me. No one else was there, “I” was the dipschmidt:D

As mentioned above, I am also not above prostituting myself for group antelope applications as well:D

I'm starting to lose faith in the system. Would consider splitting my 4 deer and elk points with someone who knows the Wyoming Range very well in Region G. Two nice CT State Troopers helped me harvest my second whitetail tonight by shooting a half road kill 5 point buck in the head to finish it off. Just got done carving up the loins, and I can't tell which freezer contains the rifle shot buck and which contains the trooper shot buck.

How bout helping out another guy with no points? (0+0)/2 has to be better right?

Hitman,
I'd be interested in hunting with you in Wyoming. Aren't you going to hunt Nebraska as well? I thought I remembered your username from that thread. Anyhow I'll be in the area from Aug-Nov hunting in WY, MT, KS, NE, mhungerford is right about unit 7 being one of the best blue chip elk units in the state that you would have about 50% odds of drawing with your 4 points. Plus you can hunt archery and rifle with that tag. Just my 2 cents as well. That is the unit I am waiting to hunt but I only have 1 point right now and it takes 5 to guarantee a tag in that unit. I have friends who guide in that unit and they have told me some stories of huge elk. That along with adequate access access to public land along with some walk in areas make it a good DIY hunt.

"Not many PM's hitting my inbox."

Your shirtless picture is probably scaring away all the prospects, heh.

I have 3 points and I don't mind hunting with most people.... yeah your picture does scare me a little...:D

Just starting to look into Wyoming and was wondering is it possiable to draw an archery elk tag for any units with say 1 or 2 points. I am not looking for accluminating lots of points just looking for units that may not get too much pressure from general tags.

Yes there are several type 9 archery only tags that can be had with 1-2 points, especially if you spend the $ and get in the special draw. Looks like 36, 37, 39, 40, 56, 67-69, and general tags fall in the catagory of "should draw" with the special tag and units like 45 and 59 in the could draw category with at least 2 points. Honestly you are better off to get a type 1 gun license and pay the extra $30 and hunt during bow season as well. That way of you don't get one in Sept with your bow come back in Nov with your gun.

I think that's very good advice wyoming556! Draw a General tag with 1 or 2 PPs and buy the $30 Archery Permit. Then you have a good 6 weeks or more to fill the tag with bow or gun in a lot of different areas, rather than being tied down to one unit requiring a bunch of points to draw.

Thanks Topgun. As far as the General tag in the reguar draw for NR random=25% and 1pt=100% and the special draw for NR random=100% and 0pt=100%. I read that last year on a special draw you can actually still get a general tag as 2nd choice and keep your preference points for next year.

Hitman, I'm buying a point for antelope & deer this year. If this year doesn't pan out, I would be interested in going out in 2012. If anyone else is interested, send me a pm.

Dinkshooter---Thy're not scared of the shooting part of it! It's the getting them out to the truck part that set quite a few of the "wannabes" apart from the real hunters, LOL!!!

Thanks for bringing this thread back to the top. I can feel a WY bull taking a victory lap in Fin's rig this fall. Now, big question is archery or rifle?

Guess it depends upon if I luck out and draw New Mexico, and if so, what season. Probably can set my WY schedule for late-September archery right now, given the odds of me drawing a third season archery tag in NM.

Big Fin---Are you trying for a Gila tag? I was back down there for a ML mulie hunt the end of October last year and it's some fantastic country. The last time I was in there was way back in the late 60s when I did some fishing there while stationed at Fort Bliss in El Paso. I had always wanted to get back into that country and finally made it last Fall. The nearest to there that I had been since the 60s was about 8 or 9 years ago up in unit 15 to the northeast of Apache Creek on a ML mulie hunt and there were plenty of elk in that area also. I think with the recent passage of the bill dropping the random nonresident tag numbers down to 6% and charging for a license in order to apply will knock more than a few hunters out of the running for tags in NM.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back