WYO elk

I took my first elk in 100. A cow shortly after moving to Wyo. I spend a lot of time in 100, I work in 100 and 124. Just yesterday i watched a herd of about 35 with 4 small bulls. What would you like to know?

This is our first year being able to hunt in WY; so we have a few questions. What would be a "good" sized bull for that area? Are there certain areas we should look into more than others, or is the whole unit good? Would you focus more on water areas or somewhere else?
Thanks for your information! Every little bit is helpful (feel free to throw in other things we should know!)

The first area I would hit is the east side of the unit. Look around Hay reservior and Honeycomb Buttes. This will get less attention from other hunters. Alot of flat ground and hard stalks but often overlooked. Water is always important but there is more than you might think. Second choice would be to the Northeast of the Bridger Mine along the divide down towards I80. Several good bulls in this area last fall and winter. Third would be the wilderness study area on steamboat. Give this a couple of days. Let the other hunters on Steamboat push the elk into the study area. i would bet dollars to donuts that you will not see another hunter in the WSA. A couple good bulls can always be found in the WSA. Fourth would be the canyons between Superior and Leucite Mine. This will get some attention but also has a decent elk population. This is where I watched those elk the other day.

300 class bull is very attainable. 320 is doable. 340 is pushing the upper limit. 100 is a great unit for a solid 6 point bull. The best part about it is you will get multiple opportunities. It is just like an antelope hunt in that if you screw up a stalk you can just move on to the next one. Archery hunt it if you can. Few hunters and a great chance to scope the area out.

I will let you know what I am seeing over the summer. best of luck to both of you and have a great hunt.

Hey mulecreek,
I have a tag next door to 100 in 118 this year. Whats you thoughts on this unit. Are the sizes similar to 100? I really want to hit it hard in the archery season. Any areas i should check.

Westernsky,

I can't provide too many details on 118 as I have not spent much time in that unit. I will say that the terrain is similar. Fins some water and you should find the elk. Good luck to you.

Wyo 100 Bulls

Here are a couple of bulls from 100. The bull in the back is the bigger of the two. I would estimate him around 300. A good representation of the area.

Attachments

• rd bulls.jpg
    rd bulls.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 2,697
This past week we started to get some good rains. Its spotty but helpful.

Thats good to hear. We were over there a couple of weekends ago on the easten side by john hay reservoir all those reservoirs are dry right now we did see a group of 8 bulls. Im hoping it gets more rain soon. am planning on taking a trip over there soon.

I was also in your unit today......................

Pretty good representatives of what you'll find.

Attachments

• P1010001.jpg
    P1010001.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 2,908
  • P1010007.jpg
    P1010007.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 2,329
  • P1010004.jpg
    P1010004.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 2,428
  • P1010008.jpg
    P1010008.jpg