WY Wilderness Rule ?

Federal public land shouldn't have limitations set on it by a state regardless of who is in charge of state game. It's a silly rule no matter how you look at it. Set state land aside. It would make more sense. Not Federal land which every us citizen has a right to and pays for. Asinine rule.

It's just selfish to think otherwise. That's the problem you have with these republican ranching states. They want everything for themselves even if they don't have a legitimate claim to it.

You nailed it in your last sentence. In Wyoming's rancher controlled legislature and the G&F commission who's members are appointed by Rancher Governor Mead any such idea to give NR's free access to Wilderness areas will go NOWHERE. Wyoming has been controlled by Ranching interests ever since it became a State. I see no changing that. The Republican dominated State Government takes care of it's Ranchers and Outfitters. It ain't fair, I have friends from Wisconsin and Louisiana who hunt here and like to hunt wilderness areas. They can't even apply unless I can go with them. It's a law that was passed by ranchers for ranchers and outfitters.

Ok, so let me get this straight, as I am applying to hunt WY this fall for antelope.... The only time I would need a guide/resident hunter/etc with me is if I am hunting wilderness areas??

Ok, so let me get this straight, as I am applying to hunt WY this fall for antelope.... The only time I would need a guide/resident hunter/etc with me is if I am hunting wilderness areas??

That is correct.

Also, Wilderness Study Areas do not require a guide either, only designated wilderness.

Being a non-resident I don't really like the rule, but it's no different than any other limitation placed on non resident hunters in Wyoming, and many other states. Wyoming could have other rules that could be much more restrictive for non resident elk hunters. They could limit non residents to only 10% of the elk tags. They could require non resident elk hunters to hunt with an outfitter no matter where they are in the state. So, I really don't feel this wilderness rule is as wrong or as unfair as many make it out to be.

Being a non-resident I don't really like the rule, but it's no different than any other limitation placed on non resident hunters in Wyoming, and many other states. Wyoming could have other rules that could be much more restrictive for non resident elk hunters. They could limit non residents to only 10% of the elk tags. They could require non resident elk hunters to hunt with an outfitter no matter where they are in the state. So, I really don't feel this wilderness rule is as wrong or as unfair as many make it out to be.

This would kill any state, so this would never happen IMO.....

There is plenty of land to hunt if you choose the correct zone to hunt :)

This would kill any state, so this would never happen IMO.....

There is plenty of land to hunt if you choose the correct zone to hunt :)

Not saying it would, just a theoretical example of something much worse than not being allowed to hunt elk in the wilderness. There are many actual regulations that do restrict non resident hunters more than resident hunters in many states. I'm only trying to point out that things could be worse.

Federal public land shouldn't have limitations set on it by a state regardless of who is in charge of state game. It's a silly rule no matter how you look at it. Set state land aside. It would make more sense. Not Federal land which every us citizen has a right to and pays for. Asinine rule.

It's just selfish to think otherwise. That's the problem you have with these republican ranching states. They want everything for themselves even if they don't have a legitimate claim to it.

Oh, so now it is political. You are obviously a liberal. Nuff said.

Oh, so now it is political. You are obviously a liberal. Nuff said.

It doesn't matter which side of the aisle he votes for because he got it right on the button in that this was strictly a political decision made by the Legislature as a subsidy to outfitters. Thankfully it also allows us to have a resident who possesses a hunting license get a free permit to take up to two NRs into wilderness areas as long as there is no remuneration.

What is the penalty if a NR gets caught hunting in a wilderness area without a guide or WY resident? And what defines "hunting?" What if you are passing through a wilderness area to get to a non-wilderness area, but not actually hunting and with an unloaded weapon?

What is the penalty if a NR gets caught hunting in a wilderness area without a guide or WY resident? And what defines "hunting?" What if you are passing through a wilderness area to get to a non-wilderness area, but not actually hunting and with an unloaded weapon?

I think it runs around $200, but not positive. You are allowed to go through a wilderness area to get to an area you have a license to hunt and common sense would say to have the firearm unloaded so there is no question if you got stopped by a GW.

This rule is the direct and only reason why Wyoming misses out on my money for elk every year.

That's all fine and dandy. There are thousands of guys lining up to get an elk tag.

Sure, the rule is dumb. However, Wyoming has such excellent hunting and gives out such a tremendous amount of tags to NR's that I'm not going to complain. I'm sure if given the option, WY residents would gladly cut the NR quota to 5% and allow them to hunt in the wilderness areas.

Are these Wilderness Areas actually rugged wilderness? Who would pay for the search party and rescue of a naïve Easterner that falls and breaks a leg or has a heart attack out there with no way to get out?

Now, this isn't an attempt to stir the pot, nor is it me trying to come off as ignorant, but does anyone feel like these types of rules will possibly cause damage to the future hunters? WY is making it more difficult for the everyday out of state Joe to experience the true wilderness, and my thoughts are that will cause some people to say screw it.

Are these Wilderness Areas actually rugged wilderness? Who would pay for the search party and rescue of a naïve Easterner that falls and breaks a leg or has a heart attack out there with no way to get out?

That could happen just as easily in a non-wilderness area. Just because it's designated "wilderness" does not make it any more dangerous than any other areas. That argument is just a lame excuse the outfitters use to keep up their own personal welfare program.

Personally I think it's just plain stupid, but there are more areas for me to explore outside of wilderness areas in Wyoming than I could hit in 100 lifetimes. I can't wait to head back there again in September to chase elk.

What NoWiser said but also, we have a search and rescue fund you can donate into when buying licenses.

They are rugged wilderness. However, the law only applies to hunters. It does not apply to all the naive Easterners who fall, break legs, have heart attacks or otherwise have no way to get out who are *not* hunters. Hence the chagrin with the law. It has absolutely *nothing* to do with safety or rescue expenses.

Wilderness Border Patrol in WY. Take care of those pesky non-resident hunters and all the Mtn bikers trying to get in.

Now, this isn't an attempt to stir the pot, nor is it me trying to come off as ignorant, but does anyone feel like these types of rules will possibly cause damage to the future hunters? WY is making it more difficult for the everyday out of state Joe to experience the true wilderness, and my thoughts are that will cause some people to say screw it.

I would say no on this.

I believe that wilderness hunting is getting more popular, but the average out of state hunting joe is probably not a wilderness hunter.

That could happen just as easily in a non-wilderness area. Just because it's designated "wilderness" does not make it any more dangerous than any other areas. That argument is just a lame excuse the outfitters use to keep up their own personal welfare program.

Personally I think it's just plain stupid, but there are more areas for me to explore outside of wilderness areas in Wyoming than I could hit in 100 lifetimes. I can't wait to head back there again in September to chase elk.

OK...OK... I didn't know outfitters used it as an excuse. I came up with that question on my own. It has to be more expensive and more difficult to find someone up there than it is on the sage flats in Eastern Wyoming, right? But if you can donate to a search and rescue fund does this money go to volunteers who look or state employees?

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrturtle
Back