WY Elk: KHunter archery 2016

image.jpegimage.jpegOops. Busted at 400 yds in the looking back photo. Happened about 20 minutes before this post. This was his adios move. Pretty nice bull. I was spending day on the mountain where I lost track of a herd that was rutting hard this morning....waiting for bugles to dial me in this afternoon. I had spotted this bull bedded earlier and thought he had seen me and bailed out already while I as backing out and repositioning. Got a little sloppy an hour later when poking my nose into basin to give him a look.

My brother was a huge help finding and trailing Bulls since Friday. He had to head out this morning. I think my better judgment and patience went with him.
On to the next bull. Should hopefully here bugling in an hour or two.

Have stayed out out all day every day so far. Camp ain't much but a place to warm up premade elk/moose/antelope dinners in foodsaver bags and heat awesome moose sausage and kitchen sink burritos my wife helped me make...and sleep. Been getting some rain to contend with.

Yesterday was a 7 mile walk about with little to show for it but a few small Bulls But all other days have been great for early September. Seen 25 bulls at least, maybe more not counting spikes. Seeing far fewer cows which is great.

Digging this his hunt so far!

Last edited:
I suspect we will pick up any leftover little bulls you leave later this week........

Good luck !

I think you will be pleased with the quality of Bulls. lots of nice ones running around. I'm trying pretty hard not to leave that big wide
one for you :cool:

image.jpgReally beautiful country. Seeing lots of deer and antelope and eagles and Hawks.

This sunrise was more beautiful than the photo can show.

Last edited:
Hard for this flatlander to get my head around passing on a 310ish. Cool thread.

image.jpegSeriously can you see too many pics of a wide, wide bull. Have seen him 3 times over 3 days and thought I had a great chance at him one afternoon before cowboys gathering cattle pushed him
and his herd of 10 cows as we were closing in. He is MIA at he moment.

Oh, and have seen NO elk hunters in my area so far! Not on he road and not on the mountain. Big unit with expansive public lands I do not take for granted that is for sure.

Last edited:
I hear ya NHY. Especially when I will thwack a 320 Bull. Seeing a tremendous bull that really gets your heart pumping first thing on the first morning kind of screws up a guy's judgment!

I think you need to shoot that wide bull. Let those others walk. Now for Moosie I'm going to have to hold his arrows or he will be flinging.

Good Luck. Two days and we will be hunting.

Sounds like a great hunt so far! Keep at it. I'll be heading out in 2 weeks.

Hunttalk All Stars reunion tour? Hope no one breaks a hip:cool:

Lock up your daughter's, lock up your wife, lock up your back door and run for your life!

[video=youtube;TXZoWTvkBqM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXZoWTvkBqM[/video]

This thread is making sitting behind this desk very difficult and yet I cannot stop looking for updates!! Can't wait to see what you get to hang your tag on. Good luck!!!

image.jpgBulls were bugling off and on around camp all night. Still could not find any of them to look at come first light.

6 Bulls spotted this morning and no cows in a 2 square mile area. All were 6pt except for a big 5 that was sparring with a bigger bull for a few minutes. I was too slow or they were too fast...I really didn't even come close to getting in on them but tried.

Just saw camp in daylight for first time. Not as impressive as I thought. :confused:

Pic is me waking up the first morning at a midnight make-do just-arrived camp just inside the unit.

Last edited:
Sounds like you're having a blast and from the looks of the pictures, you're in a good spot. Keep at it and good luck!

Back