Wow

That's almost more of a problem with capitalism than it is MLB?

A couple random thoughts-

It's not the family coming to the stadium once a year that's paying these salaries, it's the millions of people that pay for cable packages, and the ads that get to play 162 nights a year in everyone's living room.

750k is a ton of money. However, 75% of these guys are not guaranteed that salary. That's prorated when they're on the active roster. Add in that they literally don't know where they'll live 10 months out of the year, and they have to constantly be finding non-leased housing in cities like NYC and SF.

Going to games is really not that crazy expensive, compared to everything else these days. I've never had issues finding tickets for 20-50 bucks. At least in Seattle you're allowed to bring your own food in also if you don't want to buy a 15 dollar pretzel.

Also, go to a MiLB or indy game if you don't want to pay MLB prices. There's thousands of games to attend for ~5-10 bucks where you still get to enjoy the sport and watch dudes that have dedicated their life to perfecting it.
Well stated! Capitalism at its best. I'll hire you as my agent when I get drafted. Ha ha!

Also, go to a MiLB or indy game if you don't want to pay MLB prices. There's thousands of games to attend for ~5-10 bucks where you still get to enjoy the sport and watch dudes that have dedicated their life to perfecting it.

Just tangentially related, from someone who doesn't follow baseball. As we do every year, last July 3rd we went to Butte to watch the most lawless domestic warzone celebration of our great nation that probably exists in America. We got down there a couple hours before sunset, and set up shop at the Copper Mountain Recreation Complex. A couple Babe Ruth teams were playing, and so we went and sat down and watched em play. That free event on a beautiful summer evening was maybe the most enjoyable sporting event our family has ever gone to together. We all just relaxed and chatted and enjoyed the game and its players. The kids recently brought it up as something we should do again.

TLDR - I think there is potential enjoyment to glean in all levels of sport.

1702308940170.png

i can't wait to see what the deferments are. I really would love to see him live up to the contract... in the regular season. He's an amazing player, but I would also really love it if he never gets a ring out of it.

i can't wait to see what the deferments are. I really would love to see him live up to the contract... in the regular season. He's an amazing player, but I would also really love it if he never gets a ring out of it.
If he doesn't live up to the contract it's no big deal. But what does living up to the contract mean? The Dodgers will sell enough hats, T-shirts and jerseys to the Japanese people to cover it anyway. mtmuley

I always laugh when I hear folks complain about someone being over paid.

Dang Yankees of the West! I was hoping for Cubs or Toronto. Good for him and if he comes back to pitch anywhere near his abilities, they basically get 2 players out of it and open another roster spot.

If he doesn't live up to the contract it's no big deal. But what does living up to the contract mean? The Dodgers will sell enough hats, T-shirts and jerseys to the Japanese people to cover it anyway. mtmuley
i hope he averages .350BA/1.250OPS/50HR/30SB and 150INN/2.00ERA/15K/9. And then just chokes in the playoffs. Good enough to go down as the best baseball player of all time, but there will always be that one thing missing...

2 mil per year. what a steal. I cannot believe that type of contract is still legal in Baseball, but way to take advantage... Still, FTD.

Would he have been ahead to get more up front and invest it? It’s a generational ton of money regardless
Financially for the player, yes. He does get 50m plus in endorsements annually.

If he wants to win and be part of a dynasty, he just significantly helped the team do that.

Financially for the player, yes. He does get 50m plus in endorsements annually.

If he wants to win and be part of a dynasty, he just significantly helped the team do that.
50 mil/year is some real NIL money.

Reactions: Oak
Just tangentially related, from someone who doesn't follow baseball. As we do every year, last July 3rd we went to Butte to watch the most lawless domestic warzone celebration of our great nation that probably exists in America. We got down there a couple hours before sunset, and set up shop at the Copper Mountain Recreation Complex. A couple Babe Ruth teams were playing, and so we went and sat down and watched em play. That free event on a beautiful summer evening was maybe the most enjoyable sporting event our family has ever gone to together. We all just relaxed and chatted and enjoyed the game and its players. The kids recently brought it up as something we should do again.

TLDR - I think there is potential enjoyment to glean in all levels of sport.

View attachment 305674
Absolutely some of the best time spent in the summer! The love of the game is stronger than any $$$ thrown at it.

Good for those players that make it to the status of Pro. It can be awfully fun to watch their talent on the field!

These deferred payments really tick me off. Doesn’t seem like it should be allowed and is a serious work around the luxury tax which defeats the purpose of the luxury tax.

IMG_9458.jpeg

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back