PEAX Equipment

Wisconsin guys - Thoughts on this land sale plan

although the land sales were passed in Wisconsin, there were still some victories for sportsman. First off, the sale of lands that contained the spring ponds containing brook trout were taken off the list. Also, the sale of lake frontage to a major Scott Walker donor was removed. Have to thank TU and the Wisconsin Wildlife Fed for being so involved.

Also, some of the lands will also be offered to the counties, so they could remain open to the public. The main problem I have is what if the counties don't want them? Another major problem I have is that some of these lands were given to the state for free. Whoever previously owned those lands obviously cared about their resource value and public access. I find it disrespectful that we are selling these gifts.

The budget argument doesn't hold much water. The polticians are selling this as underused landlocked parcels. Landlocked parcels or tough to access properties do not generally command top dollar prices.

I emailed my state rep and senator. Never heard back from the senator but got a call from my rep. He said he wasn't well versed on the sales but that a lot of the parcels were remnant pieces from DOT projects. I can somewhat buy that and the stuff I have seen for sale in my neck of the woods is not great access land but that is a small sample of what they want to sell.

I don't know what other states are like but getting wi hunters to band together is like herding cats. Maybe this will be the issue to unify us.

I don't like it one bit. I recommend any WI guys to contact your reps. They do listen some times.

Sure, I'd like to own the 197 acre parcel in Polk County, mainly because that's where I live but I wish they would just find a decent resolution and give the people a chance to enjoy what's theirs... My second home, North Dakota, has a great way of having access to hunters and outdoor enthusiasts. Section line roads in North Dakota grant access to every parcel of land you can dream of (at least I've found it to be so). I feel for the people who cannot afford, cannot obtain, or cannot justify owning their own land and need public land for their enjoyment. Everyone deserves the right to enjoy the outdoors, whether it's got one owner or a state full of owners. Sad to see the state sell out.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that. The more people to contact their reps the better. Even if some of the parcels fit the description the politicians are selling it sets awful precedent.

I caught my largest ever brown trout on a fly rod utilizing one of the parcels for sale. :mad:

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back