Yeti GOBOX Collection

Winter Indoor Training

AlaskaHunter

It is too icy at our place to train outdoors. So I train 1-year old pup inside in our carpeted living room.
We run hunt tests and field trials in the summer, so train for these events:

1) Multiple marking mechanics where I teach pup to return with perfect spinal alignment in relation to my foot position.
I do this using 6 bumpers as half wagon wheel and I determine which bumper pup will pick up.
Pup gets good at returning, sitting by my foot, and focusing ahead at the next bumper target with perfect spinal alignment.
I don't do the conventional wagon wheel pivot because I want pup to learn not to move at the line.

2) Push/pull cues and mechanics also using 6 bumpers as half wagon wheel, moving only pup's head.

3) Lining over barriers using the no-no procedure in a carpeted room.

4) Cues for poison bird blinds which I think helps teach pup the difference between "marking mode" and "blind mode".
My training routine is to always allow pup to pick up the mark after the blind as I think in pup's mind it is similar to picking up a memory mark. I use a canvas bumper for the mark, plastic bumper for the blind as pup likes the canvas bumper more than plastic.

5) Introduction to duck hunting calls and dog blind.

6) Backwards heeling and 2-sided heeling and 2-sided sends.
Backwards heeling because if pup sits or surges too far ahead I want to be able to command pup to the correct heel position instead of me moving.

Other than mind your manners training, never thought about other work in the house. Actually could have saved my self some time with pups.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back