Why muzzleloaders?

mtmiller

I am not trying to ruffle feathers, just a question. My favorite hunting is probably archery, longer season, better weather, fewer people in the woods and usually more skill required to get in close for a shot.

Don't get me wrong, I love to rifle hunt as well, and I may have to purchase a ML someday to draw a high quality out-of-state hunt. My question; are there folks that enjoys ML's better than any other weapon choices? What are the reasons?

In the good ol' days, around here, you used to be able to hunt most of September with a bow, then October with a gun, and November with a muzzleloader on a general tag. That way guys could hunt longer seasons, so many bought a muzzleloader for extending the season.

We are now getting more "Pick your Weapon" hunts, so the argument of being able to extend your season is gone. And I think fewer are using them. There are some sweet hunts that are Controlled Muzzleloader only, and some nice bucks get whacked after they come down and get vulnerable in the deep snow. Some Cow hunts that are pretty easy meat hunts for the road hunting front-stuffers.

And then the whole thing about the In-lines is kind of changing everything. When you have an in-line that shoots 200 yards and has a 3x9 on it, I think there will be more restrictions and elimination for opportunity in some states.

Mtn-Miller,

Muzz'z have an addiction factor that goes along w/ owning and shooting one. Personally, it's one of my favorite weapons to just plain shoot. Something about pooring the powder down the barrel, having to stuff a bullet down behind it. Then getting a pretty healthy boom/kick along w/ a bunch of puffy smoke is just a kick in the pants... There's a learning curve involved w/ them just like any other weapon. Some made shorter than others, do to some of the technology that is involved today. For some I guess it's as easy as sticking a 3-9 scope on a inline, shoving a couple of powder pellets down the barrel and topping it off w/ a sabot. Others, like us in Colorado, don't legally have those options to choose from. So, it becomes much more of a technicians game, in order to be as proficient as possible w/ the weapon at hand...

Try it, I garuntee you'll like it! ;)

Oh and another thing that I really love about mine. When you shoot, you get to hear the ziiip, WHACK, when you hit your intended target! To me, I just love the sound of when it smacks the p!ss out of something. Puts a serious hurt on whatever gets in the way.

Thanks guys. No ML season here in MT (but it can be used during the rifle season), so I won't use one unless a travel out-of-state. I think it is easier to draw a ML tag over a rifle tag in most cases?

Trent-How is the compliance in Colorado for sabots and pellets? I have heard what is in the barrel is many times not what is in the pants pocket when checked. :( From what you have seen in Colorado, what is the effective range of the weapons that are used in the field?

I'm sure there are guys out there who would "skirt" the system as such. Personally, my Omega shoots just fine w/ Powerbelts so there's no need for me to contemplate switching to anything different. I think sub 2" 3 shot groups at 100 yards w/ an iron sight is more than adequate. ;)

My furthest shot on a critter w/ my current set up was made from 183 yards, w/ a rangefinder. Now given, my rifle has been fitted w/ aftermarket iron sights which allow for precise aiming at extended ranges beyond 100 yards. During my practice sessions, I've exploded 1 gallon jugs out to 225 yards w/out much problem... Inside of 200 is a gimmee...

NYH,

I currently own the TC Omega only.

I'm looking at the CVA Optima pro 209 Mag in 50 cal. I can get it for 40% off with my Hunter Ed Instructor Certification. I plan on using it for class as well as hunting. The people I teach with have rekindled my thinking that it would be another way to hunt and it opens up yet another season.

around here archery season opens first, then muzzy and then general gun.many people get there first chance in the woods with a gun during muzzy season so on public land deer are pretty pressured by the time general gun comes along.south carolina doesnt have any season except hunting season and you can use any weapon when its open.you seldom see muzzys being used there except on some of the special opp. muzzy only hunts

I got one mainly because the area I wanted to hunt had gone to ML only. I think it is a way to expand my hunting opportunities, and the odds of drawing are usually better than a rifle tag.

Thanks Marv, interesting link.

Next question, when is a ML primitive and when does it cross the line?

Now your getting into the "Grey" area. In my opinion, weapons class segregation is a mistake.... It's just like the traditional archery guys who want to kick compounds out of the bow season! Where does it end??? I've had the pleasure of growing up around some pretty fanatical views in regards to this very topic... It's really pretty ridiculous if you ask me. So what if the next guy wants to shoot a set up that he feels will allow him to take an animal more profficiently, as long as it's legal... I'm calling horse-chit!!! 90% of those fanatics that I've been surrounded by shouldn't even be taking a broadside shot at any deer or elk any further than 10 yards... Does that stop them? He!# no. So tell me who's the better sportsman???

Good points Trent, thanks. Of course if I shot a longbow I would have given you shit about your in-line. ;) :D

#1. Muzzleloading is a fun way to hunt in it's own way. I enjoy it as much as I enjoy bowhunting or any other type of hunting. What can I say I just love to hunt! ;)

#2. I prefer a sidelock to hunt with while muzzleloading. It just means more to me in a way . Dont care what type ya use but the technological advances might end up causing the in-lines to be included only in rifle seasons. Not a good thing for my sons .

#3. The early season primitive areas in Ohio have become a draw only hunt this next fall. (This is also the area Ido most of my hunting) This is only for a 6 day hunt but it also falls in October.

I never have agreed with the "modern" muzzleloaders but I just bought an inline because Cabelas had a sale so good I couldn't pass it up. So now I've got both a side lock and in in-line. Figured I might as well give them a try since everybody else is. When you can't beat 'em, join 'em. :D

The general elk seasons here in Washington are hardly worth hunting, so although I buy an elk tag every year, I rarely hunt elk seriously. Last time I drew a special permit was 1996 (and that's also the last year I killed an elk) so this year with 8 points I'm really wanting to draw a good bull permit. The odds of drawing the muzzleloader permit for the unit I want is about 1 in 40, whereas the rifle permit for the same unit is 1 in 140. That's why I am choosing to go with the muzzleloader this year....3 1/2 times better odds of drawing a permit.

I use the muzzleloader to take advantage of the special seasons and the extra hunting opportunity that exists...

Few states give you the chance to elk rutting elk with a rifle, but you can hunt them in the muzz seasons in several states...

My home state of NY offers special muzz seasons before and after the regular firearms seasons when the woods are much less crowded..

I really do enjoy using my old TC Hawken .50 cal. My wife bought it for me for my birthday in 1973..I have a peep sight on it and it is very accurate and effective well past 100 yards, although the longest shot I've ever made on game with it was around 75 yards....

In-lines..?? Use whatever you want, as far as I'm concerned..If it's legal I have no problems with it and most of my buddies use inlines..I just prefer the traditional sidelock style and I believe that they were designed for and lend themselves to offhand shooting... I as confident or more confident taking a shot OFFHAND with my Hawken than with any of my modern scoped firearms...Those 460 grain Noexcuses conicals perform well on game, also...
Talk about a THUMPER... :eek: ....

I gotta agree with Osok on this one. Never did care for the semantics on breaking down the "primatives" even more (by style) then they are now as it just makes as easier base for the anti's to go after.

Plus even when a guy hunts with "modern" weapons, what limits him on the distance of a shot he is willing (note I didn't say "able") to take.

Yep, some of the new inlines are capable (not saying the shooter is) out to 200-250 yards....modern weapons? 3 to 4 times that! Should you take that shot just because the weapon is "capable" of it?

Boils down to (for me) ethics , not what's in a fellas hands...

I could care less what people are using. I say use what makes you happy. I shoot an inline but the guys I shoot with are pure traditionalists. They rib me and give me a hard time and vice versa but we have a good time. Thats all the counts, I think the people who make such a stink about traditional vs modern weapons should shut up because all they're going to do is get the anti's on board with them.. Last year here in colorado I couldn't believe when I saw a story on the news that was done from the annual traditional black powder festival, they had the pres of this group on tv talking about how great it is to shoot traditional and how modern weapons should be BANNED!.. I just about ShIte myself. Hunters should never utter that word. EVER. Hunting is such a personal thing I can't imagine telling someone they are wrong for hunting how they choose as long as its legal. Hunt with what you want is what I say..

Inlines have been around for a long time, just not as powerful as those today. They are also recognized as appropriate my the Longhunters Record Book. Same thing has happened with slug guns. 40yrs ago they were good to maybe 50yds, now there's more than a few that have taken deer past 100yds and some as far as 200yds.

I bought one, just for the opportunity factor. There were just too many special hunts out there, to pass up a chance at some quality hunts. It's easy to in to muzzy's for under $200, and what the hey! everyone has fun shooting one. A bitch to keep clean though.......

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jjoner
Back