Whitehots and powerbelt stuck.

wvhunter304

I have a percussion Thompson New Englander with two white hots and a powerbelt stuck.

What are my options?

Remove nipple put some blackpowder under it and shot, if that doesnt work use a bullet puller. Hawken style rifles dont work well with pellets, fyi...

So the powder and bullets are seated? If so, the answer is to shoot it. Like ccc23454 said, add a bit of powder under the nipple if it's not cooperating.

Powerbelts generally go down pretty easily so if they're stuck then either some persuading via light taps from a mallet and durable ramrod should help. Then send it.

You can also see if you can track down a grease zerk the same thread as the nipple and pump grease into the barrel. This will push the bullet back out. I've never done this but I've heard it works.

Finally you may be able to take the breech plug out. That might require the skills and tools of a professional.

They make a CO2 adapter that goes over the nipple and blows the load out.

Curious what my algorithm does the rest of the day after that sentence.

Also like others have said the Powerbeats don’t seal that tight in the bore. I’ve taken a bit of super glue to the end of a ramrod and been able to pull them that way. I was nervous about getting super glue on the rifling so I ran a patch of bore butter down first as a bit of a protective layer. Probably unnecessary though.

First - a screw thread bullet puller will screw into a jacketed power belt if you give a good whack to punch through the plating inside the hollow point.
They make a CO2 adapter that goes over the nipple and blows the load out.

Curious what my algorithm does the rest of the day after that sentence.

Also like others have said the Powerbeats don’t seal that tight in the bore. I’ve taken a bit of super glue to the end of a ramrod and been able to pull them that way. I was nervous about getting super glue on the rifling so I ran a patch of bore butter down first as a bit of a protective layer. Probably unnecessary though.
I've used the CO2 adapters and they work. The CO2 cartridge will really only stay charged for one session.

If you use this method, point the muzzle in a safe direction. You are essentially creating a big bore air gun. Pointed at the floor, the bullet will hit hard enough to deform. Ask me how I know. They make a pretty loud report when the bullet blows out.

If your T/C has the "EZ Load" unrifled bit at the muzzle, your can extract this by removing the nipple and pounding the barrel muzzle down on a carpet covered piece of lumber.
The bullet will come out under the inertia and fall free when it hits the unrifled part at the muzzle.

Air compressor will work like Mallardsx2 stated many times... the CO2 trick will work too.
if you can get some powder down the nipple like others have stated and try igniting it that way it might work too by simply shooting it with the extra powder charge.
If all else fails... take it outside... put it in a vice or tie it to a tree very securely with it pointed in a safe direction towards something you don't mind putting a hole in like a bank or something, take the nipple off and ignite the charge with a torch or a firecracker fuse if you have the green thick ones and not the grey fast burn ones.
you can also take the nipple off and sometimes dig enough of the pellet out so that you can pour 10 or 15 grains down in behind the old charge reinstall the nipple and and shoot it like that.. lots of options.
White hots and pellets generally do not go well with traditional side hammer guns. The caps don't get enough spark usually to reliably get them to ignite.

I can't get a bullet puller to embed in the copper bullet.
They are not copper, powerbelts are lead and copper washed. Push town hard and twist bullet puller, you will feel it dig in, put few good turn and then slowly and consistently pull it out. Bullet may spin if you get unlucky then your limited to other options. This is the problem with using both wrong power and bullets in a traditional style muzzleloader.

Don't try to shoot it out if the bullet is not seated against the powder. If it's only part way down the barrel you can bulge or blow the barrel up causing injury or worse.

I have nothing to add, I'm just happy to hear that I am not the only one to underestimate the power of a CO2 discharger.

No neither the whitehots nor the powerbelts suck... users error.... Pellets are for inlines and about the 3 or 4 sidelocks made specifically for pellets. Your TC was not made for pellets. Get loose powder

No neither the whitehots nor the powerbelts suck... users error.... Pellets are for inlines and about the 3 or 4 sidelocks made specifically for pellets. Your TC was not made for pellets. Get loose powder
I mean, let’s be honest, Powerbelts absolutely suck. But agreed, the PBs don’t have any blame in regards to this quagmire.

To the OP - the stick of butter on my counter is harder than the cheap ass copper washed lead they use in PBs. If your bullet puller can’t get in that you might have a bad bullet puller.

Air compressor into the ground for the win. I’ve never been a fan of bullet pullers. The idea of working over a loaded barrel has never sat right with me.

Hope all turns out.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back