NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Which feathers to save for fly tying ??

Gellar

I bought a fly tying kit a while back, but haven't busted it out yet. If I am successful during the Spring turkey season, which feathers should I save and what flies can I use them for? wing, tail, body, all?

Wing feathers for grasshoppers. Sticklers claim you should use paired wing feathers so the fibrils curve upwards on both sides. Many recipes state that a flexible cement be applied to the feathers to lengthen usability.
Commercially prepared marabou feathers are died butterball type turkey under feathers. I have never kept /used any of that.

Traditional archers also use wing feathers for fletching.

You can save the tail feathers for a caddis imitation. I don't use turkey very much, you'll definitely want some pheasant skins and tails, as well as Hungarian partridge.

I use wing feathers for the biots (stonefly nymph tails) and wing limitations with the web portion of the feather. I also use the tail feathers, coated in fleximent, for wing case or caddis wings - especially cinnamon caddis or brown/black caddis. The more mottled the feather is, the better in my opinion. Be warned, fly tying is extremely addictive!

Last edited:
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrturtle
Back