Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Where would you hunt 100 years ago?

2rocky

If Doc brown showed up to whisk you back to hunt in 1915 where would you go?

delorean_back2future_drbrown.jpg

Now remember RMNP, Yellowstone, Glacier, Ranier, Sequoia and Yosemite are all already National Parks...

Why 100 years?

I'd take 50-60 years ago in Garfield, Mesa or Eagle counties with a Swaro spotter and sweet binos.

Last edited:
Sud Tyrol for me with access through a "landed" family :) I would love to do it Old School Bavarian/Tyrolean style for some Red Stags and real Russian boars.

I'd start at the headwaters of the Chitina River (presently Wrangell, St. Elias NP) and work my way west to the area where Anchorage presently sits some 300 miles away. Giant sheep, goats, moose, bears and caribou, and only a handful of people

I think a close second would be Central Rhodesia along the Zambezi River, armed with a 416 Rigby and a truck load of ammo, and another truck to haul the ivory...

100 years ago the hunting in most western states was pretty poor.

I'd head to Africa and join up with W.D.M Bell on his elephant hunting.

100 years ago western Canada and Africa.

I would really like to go back 200 and join the Lewis and Clark trek. It would be amazing to see the west before settlement.

Id LOVE to go back 200 years!! Im love to see the buffalo before they got slaughtered!!

If I went back 100 years, Id love to do an old school safari in Africa. You know, the way it used to be before all the game ranches.

Id LOVE to go back 200 years!! Im love to see the buffalo before they got slaughtered!!

If I went back 100 years, Id love to do an old school safari in Africa. You know, the way it used to be before all the game ranches.

I wish I had a link, but buffalo numbers were actually pretty decimated before Europeans arrived in North America. The Native American population was booming, and the fate of the buffalo was for the most part sealed before we ever got here.

The diseases that Europeans brought sent a wave in front of their Westerly expansion that knocked native populations way back. This short window of few humans in the West created a small window where the Buffalo numbers exploded, and that's the huge numbers we hear about with the white man's buffalo slaughters.

So you're right, there probably was a huge population around when Lewis and Clark came through, but it was an artificial blip in a bigger downward decline not directly tied to white settlement.

Here in Catron county....true no more elk,but if it was 200 then there would be Merriams elk.

Last edited:
In 1915, most of North America would have less big game than it does now.

100 years ago, I'd go hunt some of the few remaining Griz in the Selway/Bitterroot.

I don't care where, but it would be a hunt with my great grandfather who was in Arizona at that time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
240shooter
Back