What's Your Butcher Bill?

Our local processor charges $.99 per pound of hanging weight.

My last gutless quartered Elk weighed in at 185. 3 days later I had 94 pounds of cut and wrapped meat in my freezer, and 30 pounds of trim reserved for the sausage run at the end of the month. So the "Grocery cost" was under $200 so far.

Yes I know I could do it myself "for free". I took the Meat science classes in college. I worked in the Meat Lab.

But I spent the time doing home remodeling that I would have paid a worker $40 per hour to do. I spent the time getting reconnected with my girls. It is all a trade off, and someday I may go back to processing my own wild game. I know enough about the process that I trust my processor to do it right, and I can give written instructions on the cuts I want. I guarantee you those girls in his shop wrap a much nicer package than I am able to, because they do it 5 days a week. The labels are clear since he uses stamps and printed labels. The ground meat is consistent in fat content and weight per package. Haven't found any bloodshot meat in my packages, and they trim up the roasts nicely.

I feel sorry for those of you who don't have a processor you trust. Although I would like to have the family time of processing animals and making sausage, but there is too much demand on my time at this point in my life.

Son and I brought back a quartered bull (guessing 3 1/2 yo)....bone in the hinds and shoulders. everything else loose. Steaks, 2 roasts, and burger wrapped/frozen......202.00

Last edited:
We just had three elk done we deboned and cut all the steaks ourselves and took the rest in for pepper sticks summer sausage and hamburger the total bill was under $400 all vacuum sealed

Back