Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Whats this boat worth ?

UP Hunter

Am looking to buy a used boat and one has come up on the market here locally. Would appreciate any comments on this boat including the asking price.

1997 Lund 17' Pro Angler model with 60hp Evinrude. In excellent condition per the original owner. Has Lowrance X65 depth finder, Evinrude front troller, power trim/tilt, 3 batteries, cover, anchor, hand-held VHS, extra prop. Asking price is $10,500.

Mmmmmmmmmm...... so/so, Rick.

Lund is a good boat, but often times a buyer winds-up paying extra just for the name.

Strictly my opinion, but I feel a 60 is a wee-bit underpowered, especially for a Lund (they are a bit heavier). For a 17 footer, I'd be more comfortable with a 90 h.p.

$10,500 is alot of money. If you are willing to spend that much, my advice would be to spend a few more K and get a brand new rig. There are some good buys out there for around $13-14,000.

Kinda alot to swallow, but you'll have the boat along time..... and besides, aren't you worth it?
smile.gif

I agree with yopper 100%.

goto www.traderonline.com then to the boat section. you will get an idea what they are running there. I found some really good deals in there.

Delw

yooper is 100% right.Not to mention a warranty is nice to have and even on a 4 year old boat your gonna have problems soon.Things just wear out and since it has an OMC motor your looking at throttle control cables soon.

Thanks for the input on my boat question guys. Went to the 'Trader web site and found it quite helpful.

Shane & Olefish - you guys seem to know some stuff about engines. Now tell me, if I have my choice do I want a 4 stroke over a 2 ? And are there manufacturers you prefer over another or are they really all about equal ?

Thanks again.

You want a 4-stroke!!!!!!!!!!

I put a '99 Yamaha 100 hp 4-stroke on my rig and I've got 2 seasons behind it with nary a problem.

4-strokes don't have the oil/gas mix, so they're cleaner, quieter, and ALOT more fuel effiecient.

I do alot of trolling for walleye and salmon, and I can troll all day long at 1.5 mph with my motor and it won't foul out. Doing that with a 2-stroke would be unheard of.

Alot of manufacturers are making 4-strokes now, but Yamaha is cutting edge on the technology. I've sat side by side next to a Honda and mine is quieter and faster and lighter. Yamaha now makes a 170 h.p. 4 stroke which is the biggest on the market.

One thing you may want to consider, Rick, is buying an outboard in Soo, Ontario. Thats where I bought mine and I saved over 2 grand because of the exchange rate!!!!! And right now the Canadian exchange is as high as 60% on the American dollar.

A coworker is buying a new 100 h.p. Yamaha 4-stroke in Canada and it is costing him $6100 American. That same outboard would cost well over $8000 here in the states. TREMENDOUS savings, definately enough to make it worth the drive over here.

Call H&S outdoor equipment in Soo, Ontario at 1-800-461-2282 for further prices and info.

UP hunter, how deep are your pockets?? 4 stoke ++ No oil to mix, run quite, no smoke, and suppose to last longer, --cost more, and less take off power 2++ stroke Very good take off power, and cost less---have to mix oil, smokey. I own a 2 stroke and my buddy has a 4 stoke. When he bought his boat he had to go from a 75 horse 2stroke to a 50 horse 4stroke to match cost for both motors. it runs great, uses 6 gal gas all day and is so quite you can hear each other. It all comes down to what you can afford. If I could by a new boat either one would be fine, they both do a great job.olefish

Yooper thats great news, I just wish I could afford a new motor. I chase walleyes all I can and I love to jig fish first, I like light line and rods then i plainer board at about 2.2 mph. We also jig for our lake trout here useing 10 test. Fun when you get one about 20lbs. olefish,

Assumeing your going to alot of trolling for walley and such a 4-stroke might be at your advantage.Yooper is right 2-stroke will foul plugs after long days at idle.The gas oil mix is not a biggy anymore since 90% of them are oil injected.4-stroke will get better gas mileage and is quiter at high speeds.Not sure about the newer 4-strokes but when Honda first started the craze they had problems.The carbs were finiky and after a long day in choppy water you had to adjust the carbs,I am sure that has been fixed and it wouldn't suprise me if there fuel injected. Since Mercury started fuel injecting some of there 2-strokes I am sure the 4-strokes had to do something.On the same note of what yooper said,I have had my Johnson 115 2-stroke since new in 93 without nary of problem until now when the starter/solinoid went out.But that is not engine related as far as I am concerened.

I would second the opinions on looking at new boats if at all possible. You just never know what you're getting in a used boat.

My brother in law is very serious about boats and motors, and he would second What Yooper said about Yamaha's. I know it's all he'd ever look at in a boat motor.

I will have to disagree with Yooper on one thing. Ant that is the difference in fuel efficiency between 4 and 2 stroke outboards. The newer 2 stroke models are just as fuel effieient as 4 stroke versions. I have an Evinrude 150 FFI Ramcharger on my 22' Wooldridge and with 3 people, hunting gear and 180 gallons of gas on board, it was just as fuel efficient as a 22" Allweld boat with a Honda 90 HP that only had 2 people, gear and 130 gallons of gas on board. My boat hull by itself weigh about 2200 pounds, the Allweld only weighs 750. We hunt 400 miles upriver from my home. It took me 80 gallons and 10 hours to get there. It took my partner 14 hours and 80 gallons to get there. A lot will have to do with how the prop is pitched, for speed or weight. The bigger the pitch, the faster it will go with less weight. The smaller the pitch, the faster it will go with a load on board. I put over 2000 miles on my boat in Sept alone. Probably in the area of 4000-5000 miles on my boat in any given summer.

------------------
Allen

Heads up everybody!!!! OMC/Johnson/Evinrude is in serious bankruptcy trouble right now. Dealer/Service networks are in jeopardy. FRom what I hear, they may go under! Be wary of any purchases until the dust settles.

[This message has been edited by elmo (edited 03-28-2001).]

elmo a company in Japan bought OMC and then sold it to a company in Canada which is going to divide the company up somehow. Right now you CANNOT get any warranty work done on any OMC product because OMC is not paying any dealers for the work.If you find a dealer willing to do warranty work you better jump on it.

It's a sad thing.I have always been a Johnson Evinrude fan.The boat will have Merc I guess.

My dealer says it was Suzuki and Bombaier (SP) parent company od SkiDoo snomachines were wheeling and dealing over OMC and that Bombaier was the lucky company. The banks won't let this one go under. Too much of a world wide market. Suzuki is the company making 4 stroke powerheads for OMC

------------------
Allen

[This message has been edited by AlleninAlaska (edited 03-29-2001).]

Geez!!! What a mess. The OMC parent company also had a few boat factories under the corporate umbrella. FourWynns was one for sure, and maybe Hydra-sports and Stratos,but I could be wrong about those two. They could go belly-up too. I read about this mess awhile ago, and some Industry Analysts said that problems with the FICHT fuel injection systems were killing the company.

Four Wynns is located in Cadillac, MI. They were closed for about 2 months. Just recently purchased by an international firm (can't recall the name) who is supposedly the second largest boat maker in the world. They recently re-opened and brought back almost all 500 employees. The state and city just approved some tax incentives and it looks like they'll actually be expanding and hiring an additional 200-300 people.