NEW SITKA Ambient 75

What to do with your Food??

blue devil

Packing in on foot around Paonia, Colorado this September for an archery hunt. Setting up Camp then hunting out of that Bivy camp. Dumb question, but where do you suggest to put the food in camp that we bring with? Hung in a tree (is there a need to do this)?

You have a couple of options 1. Locked in a bear proof container ie Yeti, Orion, ect. cooler. 2. Inside a vehicle 3. Hang it in a tree 12ft up 5ft from the trunk of the tree 4 ft from the limb the rope is tossed over. Family has a ranch in Hotchkiss and we definitely see bears around, better safe than sorry in my book.

Everybody always tries to hang it off of one tree, which can work if you find the ideal tree. I have found it much easier to use two trees, and span the food between them. I get 100 feet of Paracord and a carabiner. Tire rock to one end of para cord. Throw rock over tree branch. Pull about 50 feet of slack through, tie other end of Para cord off to something. Take end with rock, and throw it over the branch of adjacent tree. Now you have your cord is spanned between two trees. Go to the end with the rock, and pull it tight. Keep an eye on what part of the cord is dead center between the two trees. Let the rope down, attach your carabiner at that point you were keeping an eye on, attach food bag to carabiner and hoist. Tie end with rock off. It sounds complicated, but in practice it is very simple and makes for a much quicker and easier access to your food.

Back