What Sidearm While Hunting?

My carry gun is strictly for humans and the occasional run in with a mean dog. Me and the FBI agree on the 9mm and if I had to use it on a black bear in WV I wouldn't feel to bad with 15 rounds of 9.

A study just released by the FBI

FBI 9MM Justification

FBI Training Division: FBI Academy, Quantico, VA

Executive Summary of Justification for Law Enforcement Partners

· Caliber debates have existed in law enforcement for decades

· Most of what is “common knowledge” with ammunition and its effects on the human target are rooted in myth and folklore

· Projectiles are what ultimately wound our adversaries and the projectile needs to be the basis for the discussion on what “caliber” is best

· In all the major law enforcement calibers there exist projectiles which have a high likelihood of failing LEO’s in a shooting incident and there are projectiles which have a high ting incident likelihood of succeeding for LEO’s in a shooting incident

· Handgun stopping power is simply a myth

· The single most important factor in effectively wounding a human target is to have penetration to a scientifically valid depth (FBI uses 12” – 18”)

· LEO’s miss between 70 – 80 percent of the shots fired during a shooting incident

· Contemporary projectiles (since 2007) have dramatically increased the terminal effectiveness of many premium line law enforcement projectiles (emphasis on the 9mm Luger offerings)

· 9mm Luger now offers select projectiles which are, under identical testing conditions, I outperforming most of the premium line .40 S&W and .45 Auto projectiles tested by the FBI

· 9mm Luger offers higher magazine capacities, less recoil, lower cost (both in ammunition and wear on the weapons) and higher functional reliability rates (in FBI weapons)

· The majority of FBI shooters are both FASTER in shot strings fired and more ACCURATE with shooting a 9mm Luger vs shooting a .40 S&W (similar sized weapons)

· There is little to no noticeable difference in the wound tracks between premium line law Auto enforcement projectiles from 9mm Luger through the .45 Auto

· Given contemporary bullet construction, LEO’s can field (with proper bullet selection) 9mm Lugers with all of the terminal performance potential of any other law enforcement pistol caliber with none of the disadvantages present with the “larger” calibers

I carry an ugly brick every day. When I go out in the field I pack a stainless vaquero 357 Mag. It's great for little critters and I could take a wolf out to 100 yards. Mostly I pack it because it's my favorite.

Depends on what and where I'm hunting. When bow hunting, I normally carry bear spray and my 44 mag.

Glock 29. Will be getting a 20.Gun or spray the key is practice. Just like shooting a bow it's all about muscle memory.

If you're gonna pack heat, pack heat.

Smith & Wesson Model 29 w/ 310 grain hardcasts moving around 1100 - 1200 fps. It's a handful.

So... what holsters you guys using for the G20? I am probably going to pick one up this week... cant fricken wait. I love my 44... 629 Mountain gun... but just wanting to try something different!

Ruger .357 loaded with 180 grain hardcasts. I won't pack a semi-auto in the woods. mtmuley

We have a fair number of bears where we live next to a huge amount of Colorado National Forest. I'm not near as so concerned with bear trouble, as I am if I returned to a trail head and found some unsavory people there. So, I don't carry too often. However, if I am packing out an Elk alone, I might be inclined to carry a handgun, as it make take me a couple days and could easily find a bear claiming my kill site.

No sidearm. Bear spray if I'm north of Hwy-200.

I used to use this as a rule but with all of the bitey creatures showing their presence in SW MT, I carry spray everywhere now. Plus moose encounters on rivers/streams can get a little hairy so spray offers a little comfort there too.

A friend in Alaska carries a Scandium Smith & Wesson in 44Mag. It's so light that it about takes your hand off when you shoot.

I've never carried but I do have an XD9 that would get the nod...nothing like 16rnds to miss. I also have a Ruger Super Redhawk in 480Ruger. It would get the job done but weighs about as much as a rifle when loaded.

I had a compact 9mm I carried for a bit, doesnt do much for bears up here so I switched to a s&w 38 spl or a taurus tracker 357 which is also good for run ins with lions around here, and my brother carries a ruger blackhawk 45 lc that he loves. the most important thing is carry something you are comfortable with and can shoot well, and experiment with different types of holsters. the holster can make a world of difference on how comfortable the gun is to pack.

Its your life... protect it. Carry both if you are in bear country during archery. I have two pistols a 41 Mag Taurus in titanium which is nice and light... and an even lighter 357 Mag S&W Airlite snubnose. The 357 Mag is so light you don't know you have it. This year I carried the 357 on a across the chest holster.

If you don't mind the weight and want plenty of rounds get a Glock 20 in 10MM with 15 rounds

Even in rifle season... if you have an animal down and you are field dressing it... have your bear spray VERY accessible on your person. A few years ago a guy was killed by a griz sow who nailed him while his gun was leaning on tree and he was gutting the elk.

None, It's just extra weight.

When you're shaving ounces from the day pack it hardly makes sense to lug 2 1/2 lbs. of handgun, ammo and holster in addition to a rifle. Still, looking for that rare opportunity to take an elk at 25 yards or less, most years I'll carry a Smith & Wesson Model 29 on one or two days of elk season, which then reminds me of why I shouldn't.

But last year I wished I had been carrying on my final trip packing out my elk as a bear was working the hide and gut pile. Whew! Won't make that mistake again.

While not hunting, in the woods or on the street, I usually wear a Glock 27.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back