What kind of access would you like in the Breaks?

Last time I went in to Bullwhacker there was historic November mud.
Those airstrips public?

To those that are interested in commenting, just a reminder to have substantive comments. Just stating you want the road closed or open doesn't carry much weight. Use some rational.

A good place to start would be to see what was written in the original Plan. I suggest a quick word search in the two parts of the Approved RMP. Words like "access" or "recreation" might help in formulating a substantive comment.
View attachment 311998

For those interested in what the current road system looks like from a 30k foot perspective, there are also two maps (Transportation) on the same link that may be of interest. The area in question for this EA is the "East Side Transportation".

Looks like there is good public participation to this point and I am looking forward to seeing some of the comments.

I am also glad to see the interest shown on this thread.
Keep the damn road closed….for the sake of the resource. In 630-670 it’s a free for all, 4 wheelers and sXs running amok. Mostly Wa,Mn, western Mt…. “Hunters” need to get
Off their entitled, lazy asses and follow the rules.
Signed,
Disgusted

Keep the damn road closed….for the sake of the resource. In 630-670 it’s a free for all, 4 wheelers and sXs running amok. Mostly Wa,Mn, western Mt…. “Hunters” need to get
Signed,
Disgusted
Eric, I hope you comment during the scoping process.

While I can't disagree, I will confirm the 630-670 hds aren't unique, but this sounds more like a LE issue.

If I were the decision maker, I would like to see alternative C....let's call it the Craig Alternative. Pretty sure it wouldn't fly. :D :D

Last edited:
Signed,
Disgusted
How about we remove the roads and make it a wilderness study area? Maybe lease it to the American prairie league or whatever those hippies call themselves?

Let’s just close the roads, sept 1 thru December 1
Ranchers with the lease don’t need roads. So until they aren’t allowed to take an atv wherever they want/need to get a cow it doesn’t matter. You can’t blame them for running those atv the way they do I would. But if they wanna be cowboys make them ride a horse they shouldn’t be allowed to take a atv into a spot that anyone else on this website would be fined for.

Turning it into a "wilderness" area works about as good as trying to catch water with a spaghetti strainer.

I dunno if roads seem to matter at all anyways on BLM in region 6 or 7. Everyone just goes off and creates their own spur rd cause they can't walk their fat ass the half mile to look.

I'm not derailing the thread with that though.

Thanks for the information @mtmiller I'll throw a comment in and thank you for bringing this to light on here, with some solid FACTS.

Ranchers with the lease don’t need roads. So until they aren’t allowed to take an atv wherever they want/need to get a cow it doesn’t matter. You can’t blame them for running those atv the way they do I would. But if they wanna be cowboys make them ride a horse they shouldn’t be allowed to take an atv into a spot that anyone else on this website would be fined for.
I could live with that, but don’t think it’ll fly.

I’d like to see designated parking areas. Park and walk.

As much as it sucks it’s just not realistic for them and you can’t blame them. Would you rather trailer a horse into somewhere or cruise in real fast on your atv that you can haul in the back of a truck.

As much as it sucks it’s just not realistic for them and you can’t blame them. Would you rather trailer a horse into somewhere or cruise in real fast on your atv that you can haul in the back of a truck.
When I was in New Mexico last fall in the Gila, a truck pulling a trailer drove up and the rancher unloaded 3 horses. They got on the horse and went to check cattle. I can't speak to their reasoning, but a lot of trails are closed to motor vehicles. So it was not just realistic, it was required. I was glad to see it. Wish I saw hunters follow the rules the same way.

Don’t you think there would be more of a crowding issue that way ? Now instead of lots of people spread out along roads - yes I get some never leave the road - but now the parking lot will be full and people will walk same direction and be people all over ? Maybe not

Don’t you think there would be more of a crowding issue that way ? Now instead of lots of people spread out along roads - yes I get some never leave the road - but now the parking lot will be full and people will walk same direction and be people all over ? Maybe not
That’s what ‘separates the men from the boys’… just kidding.

I’ve always found that in those types of situations there’s a buffer where within a certain distance from a road/parking area, the majority of hunter density occurs. But then beyond that, provided folks aren’t accessing an area from elsewhere (like further along a road, or a different road), you’ve got a lot of real estate to yourself.

Depending on how all this were to shake out, there may be some rules that the BLM implements, or maybe FWP could implement via the PALA agreement. I don’t know though.

Last edited:
Maybe, but wouldn’t hurt to try it. Every action that is taken there are always unintended consequences.

I can tell you for certain that Faber drives a good portion of that closed road down from the airstrip.

Meh just tell him to call the Game Warden or whoever and that he can eat cow poo with both hands as you drive away. Nobody has to listen to a mouthy idgit like that guy.

I saw it but don’t have knowledge in the area so I did not comment. Access isn’t always a good thing.
Non motorized access was going to be my comment....

Wish there were less people in the breaks - but i know itd feel like a lot less if there were more areas that were a further walk and less sxs and atvs roaring around.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back