NEW SITKA Ambient 75

what is your backpack tent and bag

Hilleberg Akto tent and Rab Ascent 700 bag, but don't take any notice of me, i haven't tried either out in the Rockies!
Cheers
Richard

Alaknak (not really backpack tent but can go in saddle panyards) / Kealty / Marmot = tents.
>make sure you get a 4season tent with good vestibule.
Marmot / Big Agnes / Moonstone = sleeping bags.
>i would look @ 0 degree bags, nothing less.

Kifaru

Super tarp w/annex (1 person)
Sawtooth (2 people)
8-man tipi (3 or 4 people)

Western Mountaineering

Megalite (25F)
Kodiak (-5F)

I have spent many nights using the above in various conditions and have never been disappointed.

The lightest junk walmart tent I could find that would hold 2 men and gear and I use a Mountain Hardware Down -15 bag with a Big Agnes Pad. The bag and pad are sweet....as for the tent I am thinking about the Kifaru tipi for next season, seems like a lot of hunters like them, just like Fair Chase that posted above.

I use a Lost Ranger and air pad for bag and a 2 man, which is really a one man and gear, tent I bought on closeout through sportsmens guide. The tent was $35.00 and allowed me to get a better bag and pack as I was on a very tight budget. I switched out the pole for old carbon arrows to help cut down weight. Replaced the stakes with better light steaks and it works very well. Good circulation and have not had condensation problems yet. It has held up really well in stronger winds. I have not been in it during a heavy rain yet but plan on getting a light tarp to help with that, just in case yet allow the air flow. If I hunted the mtns a lot I would spend the cash for a real good 4 season tent.

I have 5 tents and 4 bags and they all go in my backpack for different reasons.
Tents:
Big Agnes Seedhouse 1. I use it when I need to cut weight and size, but the weather could turn bad. It is easy to ventilate in hot weather, and the fly is bombproof for stormy weather. It is cramped, so I bring a garbage bag for stowing my weapon and gear outside.
TexSport 2 Man Bivy. Cost about $35. This is the lightest option with enough space for my pack and weapon to come inside. It doesn't hold up well in bad weather, but it is the tent that I use the most during September archery hunts.
Coleman Exponent 2 man. Adds about 50% more size and weight than the above options, but it does well in bad weather and has room for weapon and gear.
Ledge Recluse 3 man. Two hunters really need a 3 man tent. It has a door on each side and room for gear. This is the tent of choice when I'm packing in with my wife or with my son. For the price I paid, I have no complaints.
Coleman Hooligan 3 man. This was listed as a "backpacking" tent by Coleman and the price made me bite. It is warmer than the Recluse as long as the skies are clear, but rain will find its way inside. It is actually bigger than a lot of 4 man tents, so it goes in the pack if we really need a 3 man tent. My son and 2 friends enjoyed a week in it this summer on a backpack fishing trip.

Sleeping Bags:
I have an extremely light weight sleeping bag that I've had long enough to forget the make/model, but I think it was a Marmot. The tags tickled my nose one night, so they are long gone. It compresses to the size of a football and weighs about 20oz. I use this bag through most of September, but as the lows start hitting the 20's it is time for something warmer.
For colder weather I go with a Black Pine 0degree bag. I've slept well through very cold nights in this bag.
I have a Ledge 20degree bag that's a cheap middle ground when the forecast is somewhere between the above two options.
I also have a Teton Elk Hunter -35degree bag. I have used this on some winter outings when I loaded my gear in a sled and the extra weight wasn't much of an issue and the extra warmth was well worth it.

I use a boundary waters goose down bag. rated to +20 with a silk liner-keeps me warm til 0.
I have a cabelas 2 man 3 season tent but can't recal the name-blue, orange, white love it.
I have a badlands 2800 I used on my Ak hike and really liked it-not sure I could survive a week with it though due to cubic inches.

Big agnes fly creek UL 2 tent for solo and UL 3 for two people (look on ebay...can get deals). BA dual core sleeping pad (sierra trading post for 45 bucks). Mountain hardware spectra 20 down sleeping bag with waterproof shell (sierra trading post for 200 bucks).....this was a new setup this year and the best sleep I have ever had for a week above 10,000 feet this September

Cheapo Hillary 2 man from Sears. Eberlestock Dragonfly and Marmot sawtooth. Really need a decent tent and figure out a way to have 110V power available in the backcountry to run a cpap machine

eureka timberline 6 man-season 4
elkhunter sleeping bag-35 below rated
coleman airmattress
because my wife does not like to be cold,wet,and she does hunt harder when she gets a good night sleep.:)

My backpacking tent is a Eureka! Spitfire 2 tent I got at a Bass Pro, it doesn't suck - light and packs down fairly small but it fits one man-sized man, not two. My bag is a Snugpak Softie Elite 3, which is a great bag and I add a silk liner which adds 10 deg. F to its low temperature rating (so down to 4 F which is plenty warm for Virginia). Also pack a Thermarest NeoAir Trekker, which is absoutely vital to me for a good night's sleep.

Kifaru 6 man tipi and Ed T 16" cyl. stove or a Super tarp(with annex and homemade stove if cold)
for sleeping bags either a Western Mountaineering Badger 15 deg. or a old W M bag no name cant remember the rating but been in it well below zero and can't keep it zipped
Tim

Just wondering what tent you guys use when backpacking and what sleeping bag you guys use?

I backpack hunt from the AZ desert and Hawaiian jungle up to the Rockies and New Zealand Alps in winter......therefore I have a large collection of sleeping bags, tents and packs.
There's no "one size fits all"....unless you plan on only hunting one place.

Where do you plan on hunting ?

For all of my backcountry hunts (September - October, unless it really gets cold and nasty) I use a down Mountain Hardwear 30° sleeping bag that weighs right under 2 lbs. My sleeping pad is a Klymit Inertia X-Frame; full size, weighs 9 oz.

For shelter, I use a GoLite Shangri La 2. Sets up with two trekking poles, is floorless (I use a 3' x 7.5' sheet of TyVek as my "floor") and has one zippered door. It is basically a pyramid tarp shelter that can handle some seriously nasty weather, even though it doesn't look like much. Weighs 1.5 lbs.

My total weight for bag/pad/shelter comes in under 5 pounds, and is great for 90% of what gets thrown at it in the mountains during that time of year. I also am fairly fanatical about keeping unneeded weight down, so I opt for the light stuff where I can.

All of it, along with an Evernew DX alcohol stove kit and one cook pot, clothes, gear, rangefinder, food, etc. goes in a Mystery Ranch Longbow, and I can usually do about a 4 day trip with less than 40 pounds of gear--that is everything, backpack weight, food, gear and 1 liter of water going in.

Bag:
Down Right, long for cold trips.
Kifaru Woobie-For warm trips.
Thermarest Neoair Long

Shelter:
Seek Outside 6(first generation)-For cold weather have the medium stove, sleeps up to 4, but really does best with 3 and gear.
TiGoat Vertex 5- Solo trips

Future:
I just got done doing a test run of the Little Bug Out from Seek Outside. If you haven't looked at it yet it, I would. Its the most versatile shelter I have ever put my hands on, and we can go through a LONG list of what I have used. The Vertex 5 is still in my closet, so I will claim it, but it is supposed to sell after Christmas. That money will be used on the LBO.

I have a Feathered Friends down bag, Swallow I think is the model. 20 degree rating, and under 2lbs. I also have a North Face Cats Meow. It's a synthetic 30 degree bag at around 3lbs I think.

I gave up on tents, even in winter. I use a cheap silnylon Campmor tarp, and I use a douple layer emergency blanket as a ground sheet. With stakes and cord, its under 2 lbs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back