Caribou Gear

What does a 3 year old elk look like?

2rocky

Well I found out this week.

According to the Wyoming Game and fish ear tag in my bull, he was 3 years old.

021-580x435.jpg

That's about what I would expect a 3 year old to look like.

1st year = spike; 2nd year = raghorn; 3rd year = medium sized 5 point; 4th year = larger 5 point or maybe a small 6 point; from there it gets harder.

I would have had a hard time deciding whether that bull was 3 or 4 just based on antler size.

My bull didn't have an ear tag but I would guess him at 3 years old.

nathan_elk1.jpg

You can also tell pretty easy up to about 3 years old by looking at their lower jawbone and tooth wear. Again after about 3 years old it is more of an art than a science to get it right though in my opinion.

You can always pull the lower incisors and send them off to a lab to do a cementum annuli aging with an electron microscope if you really want to know. That's the most accurate method other than shooting one with a tag in its ear! :)

Last edited:
Congrats, always cool to get one with a little bit of story to it. Were you able to get any info about when and where he acquired the ear tag?

2 year old elk are generally pretty easy to tell based upon tooth replacement.

Had a local taxidermist tell me that my bull was 4 years old...

Attachments

• P1040994(sm).jpg
    P1040994(sm).jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 1,254
Hard to believe that bull is only 4 years old. Generally they don't hit peak anter mass until 6 or 7 so that guy would have been a MONSTER in another 2 or 3 years.

Anything after 3 years old is hard to guess based on toothwear. If you still have the inscisors send them off to a lab to do the cementum annuli aging on it. It's pretty accurate and only costs about $20.

No no no what he said was its his 4th anniversary of his 4th birthday. Kind of like a women's 5th 29th bday some biologists are that way

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back