PEAX Equipment

Western Kansas Does??

konasage

Looking to go to W. Kansas and try to knock down a whitey doe for the freezer. Anyone know how the NR hunting is for that. Looks like rifle doesn't start again until the 28th of Nov. but would love some info if anyone has ideas of whether this is doable on short notice.

Thanks all

I called licensing in Pratt KS today, Here is what I learned. Non-resident "Buck" tags are sold out. In January 2013 antler less tags are basically OTC for both resident ant non-resident alike. Statewide "regular" antler-less season is Jan 1-13. "Extended" antler-less season then goes further into Jan. for the central portions of the state. Hunting license for non-resident is $72.50. Each antler-less whitetail tag is $52.50 . Tags for non-residents must be purchased on or after Dec 31st)

Reminders: Hunter safety for ALL non-residents is required, regardless of age. (They do have a one-time exemption if you plunk your $75 down!!). Your tag is not valid until the day after you purchase it.

Things may have changed since I was last there so please take that into consideration. Last time I was in Kansas it was crazy easy to hunt does. I was in a little town called Utica. The local people were as nice as could be. Me and a few friends were in town to hunt pheasants and had purchased two doe tags a piece. Two of us also had bucks tags. While at local restraints, people would ask what we were hunting. We would tell them and they would invite us to their ranches to hunt deer. The only stipulation was that we shot the does first. Everybody wanted us to shoot does of their property. We knocked on a few doors to ask if we could hunt pheasants and were always told yes. On several occasions the ranch owners would meet us on the other side of their fields with hot coffee and doughnuts. It was a treat. We were never told ”no” when we asked for hunting access. One person told us they had family coming in on the weekend and that we couldn’t hunt until after the family but they were very willing to let us hunt after that. We shot 8 does in about 45 minutes from one ranch. Fun easy hunt with some great grain fed whitetails being the end result. Hope that helps.

Gotta have a buck tag to buy a doe tag. I remembered something was weird about Kansas doe hunting.

Nonresident antlerless permits available over-the-counter through Jan. 30, 2013. Hunter must possess a permit that allows the harvest of an antlered deer before purchasing either type of antlerless deer permit. http://www.kdwpt.state.ks.us/news/H...er/Deer-FAQ/Complete-deer-hunting-information

Looks like you will have to wait until Jan 1 to buy a Kansas doe tag. Just go to Oklahoma or Nebraska, you can buy a tag there and hunt. Gun season runs through this weekend in Nebraska and all of Dec is muzzleloader. Oklahoma gun season is Nov 17-Dec 2. Antlerless days vary. Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks KansasD, what is the story of having to have an antlered tag to hunt does? Is this another money scam or they just don't want to kill that many does?

Thanks KansasD, what is the story of having to have an antlered tag to hunt does? Is this another money scam or they just don't want to kill that many does?

The actual OTC permit that is first purchased in 2012 is a "any whitetail" designation. Buck, doe or fawn. They do have a lottery/draw for a "any deer" that then would include mule deer also. For adult resident hunters the first permit is $37.50. Kids and landowners get a break on the cost. Antler-less whitetail tags are $17.50 for adults, $10 ish for kids and landowners (more than 80 acres IIRC). If you wait to purchase your first tag in 2013 (by definition antler-less only) then you don't have to pay the added $ for the "any whitetail" permit.

Several years ago they finally saw the wisdom in statewide-valid whitetail tags for residents. You just have to make sure you are in the correct zone for the antler-less tags as some zones allow more harvest than others. Some state controlled wildlife hunting areas have added restrictions about the #'s allowed using antler-less tags.

Pick me up on the way there, would ya konasage?1 Would love to plan to get out there and supplement what's in the freezer 1st of the year.

Back