Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

West coast salmon recovery

Interesting article. I hadn't heard that this was going on in the Willamette basin. I was at Green Peter Reservoir for the first time last summer and heard a few folks complaining about the Corps, but they couldn't express what the actual issue was.

Interesting article. I hadn't heard that this was going on in the Willamette basin. I was at Green Peter Reservoir for the first time last summer and heard a few folks complaining about the Corps, but they couldn't express what the actual issue was.
Were they trying to say that spring Chinook smolt were in the river and needed flushed out by mimicking fall rains?

Pretty much standard for people who sit around bitching. Green Pete is pretty neat country, found a few ounces of gold up there as a kid.

Top headlines banner from Yahoo this morning. I've been watching the story spread for a few days now locally.

Interesting that it's a similar mortality event that they experienced at Green Peter. It won't be a problem for long on the Klamath, but perhaps not the best method for facilitating migration.

When I first heard of a draw down to allow for migration I thought it was a neat idea. Bad week in the news for it though.

Top headlines banner from Yahoo this morning. I've been watching the story spread for a few days now locally.

Interesting that it's a similar mortality event that they experienced at Green Peter. It won't be a problem for long on the Klamath, but perhaps not the best method for facilitating migration.

When I first heard of a draw down to allow for migration I thought it was a neat idea. Bad week in the news for it though.
it is a great idea, just executed very poorly. You want to increase the speed a which the smolts outmigrate, but you have to collect them and pipe them away from the bubbles.
1709663873614.png
They achieve very high survival rates.

it is a great idea, just executed very poorly. You want to increase the speed a which the smolts outmigrate, but you have to collect them and pipe them away from the bubbles.
View attachment 318010
They achieve very high survival rates.

I wonder if it's easier to do this successfully through a run of the river dam vs a reservoir dam? Have to take that to google when I'm back in the office maybe.

Sounded like a big issue for the draw down at Green Peter was they dumped a bunch of kokanee. Not the species of concern, but bad optics.

Heavy hitter from the Seattle Times on the lunacy of our federal injunction to replace all state owned culverts. There's a pile of blame to go around, the tribes are simply getting what they can without any actual concerns about salmon (which I tend to think happens more and more), the State itself is doing an absolute piss poor job, and the federals judges... man it really just shows that logic isn't included in the room when judicial decisions are made.

In case you can't read, WA is currently spending 1 million per day replacing culverts in puget sound, and still needs about 4 billion, which, to quote the article could replace all the WA ferries (21 in total) with brand new all electric boats, but instead we'll get overpriced bridges and box culverts that don't actually have salmon even present.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back