Caribou Gear

Waddells illegal bull?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecrittergitter

Was just falling asleep and saw realtree roadtrips come on tv. He stated clearly he was hunting with bearpaw outfitters in Montana. Was half asleep but watched him smoke a bull on national tv shooting lighted nocks in a state they are not legal. Now i dont think they should be, but fact is they are and i cant believe they would air that on tv.....anyone knoe if fwp has made a phone call to ol waddell on this issue?

Half of the hunting shows on TV show at least one thing illegal a season, if not more.

"Waddell is a tool"

What are you talking about, LOL! He's one of the top celebrities in the INDUSTRY, don't ya know!!!

I remember a few years back when fiber optic sights were illegal on muzzle loaders in Kansas and watching Jerry Martin smoke a big whitetail. Again, it was a dumb law but the law at the time none the less.

Last edited:
I saw him do the same thing with a whitetail in Northern Montana, on TV!
Would loved to have turned him in but then it probably wouldn't have mattered.
John

I believe you can use lighted nocks in Montana outside an archery only season. Was he wearing an orange vest? Do you know if there is a "short range weapon only" unit near his hunting location? Those would be the only two situations I believe he could get away with shooting those nocks. I'm sure they don't cover that during his show.

Critter - I don't use them but many of the "local" wardens around our part of the state have openly stated they will not charge anything related to lighted nocks.

I saw the same episode a couple months ago and was thinking he might've been on the reservation up there.

If that is true about the wardens not choosing to enforce the laws of Montana...they should be fired. I suspect its pure bullshit though...probably something heard from the nephew of a friends cousins grandma.

As far as Waddell, the endorsement money he gets from luminock will probably be wayyy more than any fine he would get. He should still be fined though.

Buzz and Miller - In the region 3 office prior to a "Taylor's Fork Tag Quota public comment meeting". Question was specific to lighted nocks and two wardens stated no enforcement action would be taken because light was not intended to make it easier to kill and would enhance recovery. I am not in agreement so don't shoot the messenger. Happy Holidays!

If that is true about the wardens not choosing to enforce the laws of Montana...they should be fired. I suspect its pure bullshit though...probably something heard from the nephew of a friends cousins grandma.

As far as Waddell, the endorsement money he gets from luminock will probably be wayyy more than any fine he would get. He should still be fined though.

Given the investment the state has in training these guys, etc. I'd say firing is a bit much for not enforcing this one law. Maybe their pay should be docked the price of a few fines each week until they 'see the light', but I generally appreciate LEO's using their own discretion whether to cite or warn for minor offenses.

That said, I definitely did not appreciate the numerous AZGFD personnel who I personally heard state that they would not enforce the new Travel Management Plan rules in the various National Forests within the state. One of the places they stated it was at the kickoff dinner for a youth elk hunt - sponsored by my favorite conservation group in AZ - in front of a bunch of kids. Bad messaging in my mind to openly say that to kids. Hard to make the point that rules and laws count if only some of them do.

Someone should definitely make FWP aware of Waddell's use of luminoks. Not because he's on tv, a tool or any reason other than: if you've witnessed what you think is a violation, I'd say call and put the ball in LEO's court.

I dont have a problem with a warden using their judgement...much different than making a public announcement that you wont be enforcing a State law.

Also, I have much less of a problem with the AZG&F not enforcing a brand new travel plan that even the USFS LEO's arent too sure of.

I dont have a problem with a warden using their judgement...much different than making a public announcement that you wont be enforcing a State law.

Me too. I think it's bad messaging to openly tell folks 'It's a law, but we won't enforce it.' It may seem like semantics to some people, but to me there's a huge difference in announcing it vs. issuing a warning instead of a ticket.

A
Also, I have much less of a problem with the AZG&F not enforcing a brand new travel plan that even the USFS LEO's arent too sure of.

My problem is much more with the announcing it - and especially to kids - than their approach. The TMP in AZ is fraught with problems and pretty knuckleheaded in design, although I like the general idea behind it and followed it on my hunts despite being put at a disadvantage to those who did not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back