Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Utah spike?

Edmundredbeard

Good morning everyone, I'm brand new here, from Utah, and have already gound a lot of great information. I'll admit it, I'm 30 and new to elk hunting. I have gone on one antlerless elk hunt a few years ago that turned out successful. I didn't draw a tag this year and so I have been researching all the over the counter tags available, any bull and spike. From what I gather the harvest odds for the any bull units are quite low, especially being post rut, October 8-20. The few experienced hunters that have been gracious enough to share some knowledge with me have recommended a spike tag in the Strawberry/Currant Creek area. They warned that the hunting pressure is pretty heavy in these areas, but it is probably my best chance. I am simply interested in filling my freezer with meat this year and so I'm not too worried about tracking down a trophy this year. I am having a tough time finding any information on hunting spike. If anyone has any experience hunting over the counter spike in Utah and would be willing to share some experience or pm me any tips I would be incredibly grateful. Thanks in advance and good luck in your preseason preps.

If you are set on rifle/any legal weapon season, the next thing you need to decide on is where you want to hunt. Most people that get the spike tags are getting them since they didn't draw in their LE unit. This allows them to scout the area during the hunt and get a spike if they come upon them. If you get the general bull tag, you still can hunt a great number of areas that hold elk. With an archery OTC tag, that opens the entire state, almost. If you are on the general areas, you get to shot an elk, be it a 400 inch class monster bull, to a fat lonely cow. If you want to hunt the Wasatch unit, or La Sal, you can again shoot that monster spike, or a cow. The guide book spells it our pretty good. A lot of people try to over think it, Utah is pretty easy to hunt once you get your brain out of it.

goHunt.com also has a ton of great info. You need to pay for the info though. Watching the youtube videos Randy (Big Fin) Newberg has put out recently about pre/port rut, late season elk tactics is super helpful, give them a look. One thing I have learned here is the spikes are dumb, and mature bulls are mature for a reason, they breed their cows, then head back to the deep steep areas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tomcat1984
Back