Caribou Gear

Utah Legislative Session Begins (With Insanity)

authentichunter

Utah's 2016 legislative session began yesterday, and almost immediately Utah's elected officials started the crazy talk regarding our public lands. My favorite statement from yesterday was Utah Speaker of the House Greg Hughes's claim that the public ownership of land in Utah is a form of "population control" that limits Utah's influence in Washington D.C. According to Rep. Hughes, some entity (it is unclear who or what) is using public lands as a "form of gerrymandering" to limit the influence of western states. Incredible.

I live in Utah. I have lived in Utah the majority of my life. In my opinion, the biggest impediment to growth in Utah is Rep. Hughes and his fellow legislators. People do not not move to Utah because there is a lack of available land, but they do not move to Utah because of the crazy talk out of Utah's capitol and the arcane and bizarre laws these clowns enact.

http://utahlegislature.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?clip_id=19374&meta_id=608251 ("Population control" comments begin at 1:01:40).

tumblr_mad8a4hnAK1r6aoq4o1_250.gif

Last edited:
In many conversations with different legislators I have found there are actually only a few power-brokers and the rest of the elected officials just vote the party line.

We just need the sheepish legislators to hear some pushback from their constituency. I doubt they'd take heat from their own voters just because some guy from a different district tells them to. As long, as an elected official doesn't hear from his constituency and a friend in the party asks him to support a bill, he has no reason to decline. They just need a reason to say, "No."

Being fairly new to Utah it didn't take long to recognize the lunacy of the govt here. I just grit my teeth and push on, thankfully I spend the majority of my time on the road in Idaho, Montana and Wyoming for work. I can say I've never seen a group of people so willing to blindly follow along, even when they don't know what or why they are. Just shake my head and keep to myself.

This is crazy, I have lived in Utah most of my life and call it home. I love the diversity of the landscape here, from the High Unitas to the red rock deserts to the south, some of Gods most beautiful landscapes. Time to fire up the old email and keep on my local Rep and Sen.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallguy
Back