Unit 61 Colorado update

Well I had a great hunt. I got to the unit on Thursday morning scouted in the first spot I considered with help from some guys on here and other social media, also Onx, didn't see any elk or much fresh sign so I continued further south and set up camp mid-day then looked around before dark and heard a few bugles, so alittle more promising than the last spot.

Since I knew there was a few elk around where I camped I drove a little further south for the morning again I didn't see much sign or hear any bugles Friday morning. So for Friday night I moved closer to camp but a few canyons down from Thursday evening and saw a couple of small bulls that were bugling by four o'clock. I decided I would start where I heard all the bugles Thursday evening.

Opening morning I got on a ridge top between to deep canyons where I could see the opposite sides of both canyons and waited for it to get light. About ten minutes after shooting light I heard my first bugle. Then within seconds I heard another from the opposite canyon. Then another and another. It was incredible I still have no idea how many bulls were in those two canyons. They did not stop for three hours that morning.

I had my spotting scope along and tried to find one of the bulls that was bugling. I know I was hunting second season and was thinking most of these bulls would be smaller bulls, but when I got the first bull in my spotting scope it was big. Huge fronts and big Topps. Not a small bull. He was going crazy at the bottom of the canyon and had a very distinct bugle. He was going away from me and there was no way to catch up to him. So I focused on another area where there was bugles.

I located a few other bulls that were bugling by me and most of them were small five points. That morning I had 4 of them within rifle range.

That evening it got cold and windy. Very windy. I decided to head back to the same canyon I saw the big bull in hoping to locate him again. About four o'clock I spotted about fifteen cows towards the bottom of the canyon that came out of a finger of aspens. I could hear a few bugles now and then but with the wind it was impossible to tell where they were coming from. Around five I saw my first bull step out. A small five point. Then out stepped some more bulls mostly fairly small. After awhile I decided to move over the ridge to check out the other canyon.

I spotted some cows over there right away. After looking some more I found another fairly decent bull alittle smaller than the one from this morning but still nice. I was running out of light and with the wind I decided not to make any moves on him and wait for morning. Now I know there were two good bulls between the two canyons.

I should have disclosed at the start of this post that I had no intention of shooting the biggest bull in the unit. My goal was just a solid six point and I would hold my self to that.

Sunday morning was perfect the wind died down and it was cold. I started closer to where I seen the big bull Saturday morning.
Just before shooting light as if on cue the bulls started up again. Lots of them were in the open and easy to identify mostly small bulls. After watching this canyon for awhile I crossed back over to the other one again. There was lots of bugles coming from this one too so I tried to identify where exactly they were located. I found a few more small bulls right away then I looked at the bull bugling at the top of the opposite side of this canyon and it was the big bull with the huge fronts.

He was a long way away but possible to get to for a shot. The canyon ridges were connected at the start of it and there was a trail that ran between them. So I started around the trail hopping he would still be there when I got there. His distinct bugle let me know which bugle was his so I would know if he moved of the top of the ridge.

It took me about thirty minutes to get across the canyon onto the opposite ridge and make my way to him. He was still there. Not completely on the top anymore but close. I got to within a hundred yards of him and ran out of cover so I just waited and hopped he would crest the top of the ridge again. I could see a small bull and a cow on top. Then they started down the canyon and he bugled. Now he sounded farther down the side.

I didn't think they were coming back up as now I lost sight of all of them. I had to decide to wait or creep over the side and hope I could spot him and get a shot before another elk spotted me. I choose to creep over. I got to the crest and couldn't see anything so I keep going. Finally I saw the tops of one of the smaller bulls antlers so I knew I was close. After a few more steps I could see his. Just then all hell broke loose. I failed to see a cow standing to my right looking right at me.

Elk were running everywhere and I tried to find him. I spotted eight cows and four bulls to my right running down the canyon. I could have shot everyone of them but couldn't locate the big one. The sun was to my left and I had to stare right into it to see that direction. I held my hand up to help block the sun and could just see him disappear down the side. I blew it.

Sunday night was kinda uneventful but I did see where all the elk were filing out of the aspens at the bottom of the canyon. About four o'clock cows started coming out and I could hear bulls bugling in them but couldn't see any of them. My plan for the morning was to be in those aspens before they got there. There was a road not to far from them on top and didn't think it would be to hard to sneak in before daylight and wait for them.

My plan Monday morning worked out great. I got up extra early because I wasn't quite sure what I was getting into. Drove down the road on top and started my way down. It was steep. Like strait down steep. Like when you tap a rock and it falls 300 yards down the canyon steep. But I went slow and careful and made my way down. I made it to where Onx said I needed to be about thirty minutes before shooting light. Perfect. So I waited. I heard a few bugles off in the distance and thought this should work perfectly. I waited. Sun came up and waited some more thinking they were still feeding and come in soon. By noon I finally convinced my self they weren't coming. Awesome plan. Now I had the walk out to look forward to.

Now I was depressed and wore out from the climb back up. I went back to camp to come up with another plan. I decided to head to the other canyon further south where I also heard some bugles while scouting and give this one a rest for a few days.

I got to the other canyon about one o'clock and made my way in. I followed the ridge aways and just waited glassing the opposite side. The side I was one was burnt hard from the fire last year and was still black making it easy to see to the opposite wall. About 3:00 I started hearing bugles on the other side down farther so I started my way that way walking in the ashes was nice and quiet compared to the dried out grasses and leafs.

There was still a few pockets of areas on the side I was on that were not burnt as hard and had some nice green grass in it. I would look into them every now and then but mostly focused on the opposite side.

As I continued through the burn area I stopped to glass the other side next to a small area that didn't get burnt. Didn't see anything so started my way further down. Just then I looked to my left in the grass. There was a bull standing there feeding with his head down. He had no idea I was there at only twenty yards. I couldn't believe it. He was a six point. He was big enough to meet my standards so I put my scope on him and fired.

Congratulations, and excellent job on your solo hunt!! I hope to draw 61 in the next few years myself.

Daily elk encounters and a grand success!

I hope your solo journeying will end up blessing yourself, family, friends and perhaps even co-workers with wonderful free range meal treasures.

Thanks guys. Getting that elk out by my self was a challenge like I never faced in my life. There was a few times I wanted to fall over and just die, but in the end the best part of the trip was proving to my self I could do it. I considered my self in pretty good shape and trainned hard for this. I have ran a few full marathons and this elk had me more beat down than any of them.

If you plan a solo trip make sure you know what your getting into or have a plan to get it out especially in this unit because odds are evey step will be up hill.

this elk season is first time I ever hired a packer and it was a great option in my situation.
Sounds like you completed a similar pack out to the one I sidestepped. Great job.

Last edited:
Back